logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/12/21 7:28 p.m.

Ive broken my last cheap garage stool.  For years I have bought the basic 25 buck red garage stools available from everywhere.  They last a year or two and something ends up breaking.  The piston quits being adjustable in height, a lowest bidder caster falls apart, my chunky butt breaks one of the finest welds that can be made using coat hangers as filler rods.  You know.... These stools.

I want to upgrade. I would prefer something without a back, I like the round top, but that's not a deal breaker.  It has to be height adjustable.  I like having a tray at the bottom.  

So whats out there that passes the GRM hive butt tests?

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/12/21 7:32 p.m.

I have used a milk crate for 40 years (Jeezus...40...), I even have a rolling snapon seat but never touch it.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
1/12/21 7:34 p.m.

Sounds like somebody need to gift somebody else their Snap On seat.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/12/21 7:36 p.m.

At some point I could. Much like the milk crate it does not quite fit his desires. I do get through to Pittsburgh to visit family sometimes too.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/21 7:41 p.m.

I just have a cheap non-adjustable one that I use infrequently. 

I have used one of these and it seems very sturdy but I haven't used it enough to see how it holds up. 

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/automotive/automotive-tools-shop-equipment/masterforce-reg-premium-shop-stool/85666/p-1558679410415.htm

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/12/21 8:06 p.m.

Mine is red, though it does say "Craftsman" on it.  I've had the thing for at least 12 to 15 years and it's fine.

To be fair, my butt is not large....

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/12/21 9:47 p.m.

I was admiring the stools used at my doctor's office during my last visit, they're very heavy duty and have five legs so they won't wobble on an uneven floor.   Try a medical equipment supply house, or an office equipment supply.  Even better is if there's a place in your area that sells used equipment.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
1/12/21 10:08 p.m.

I have two one labeled Craftsman that I have almost busted my butt on several times and one purchased from Sam's Club ( Walmart) labeled " Goodyear " that I absolutely love. It is very sturdy and stable, rolls around easily and was pretty cheap when I bought it. The Craftsman is ok when at the lowest position but feels like it going to tip over at highest height when reaching for something.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/12/21 10:10 p.m.

I don't really move around in my stool, I place it where I need to, so I just have one of these

STOOL-Backless Vintage Metal Shop Stool/Distressed White

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/12/21 11:32 p.m.

I cut the back off a small office chair years ago and it works just fine. Last year I had to invest in new duct tape after I burned the whole top off by dropping hot steel on it.

I did see this and thought it was cool if you don't move around too much.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
1/13/21 7:25 a.m.

In reply to preach (fs) :

I have used a milk crate many times.  I keep a crate under the bench as a step stool/seat/sawhorse/toolcaddy.  I just need to figure out how to make one height adjustable!laugh

logdog (Forum Supporter)
1/13/21 7:28 a.m.

In reply to EvanB (Forum Supporter) :

I have seen that style stool pop up in my search.  Looks like several people sell a version of that as well.  My only concern is it looks like it might not go as low, but I want to get my eyeballs on one in a store.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
1/13/21 7:29 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

A doctors stool is a great idea.  Im going to look into those.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/13/21 7:40 a.m.

I have a buddy who is a drummer and modified one of his old stools with decent casters and loves it. He DID NOT USE Harbor Freight casters, he bought something that looks like inline skate wheels. 

RevolverRob
RevolverRob Reader
1/13/21 12:32 p.m.

Kick stool is what I use. Rolls, until you put weight on it, round base keeps it from tipping over, round step works as a great seat, and of course it makes a great step-stool as well.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
1/13/21 1:09 p.m.

In reply to logdog (Forum Supporter) :

I stopped using those 2 decades ago. Instead I grabbed a used office chair I think I paid $15 for it.  ( (not the kind with arms ) I'll let you know when it fails me. So far so good.  I'll bet 80% of the time I'm in the shop I'm wheeling around in that.  It's perfect for welding, I just go to the low setting. Working at the work bench it's at the high setting.  
PS I'm 285 pounds. 

pirate
pirate HalfDork
1/13/21 1:54 p.m.
pirate said:

I have two one labeled Craftsman that I have almost busted my butt on several times and one purchased from Sam's Club ( Walmart) labeled " Goodyear " that I absolutely love. It is very sturdy and stable, rolls around easily and was pretty cheap when I bought it. The Craftsman is ok when at the lowest position but feels like it going to tip over at highest height when reaching for something.

This is a picture of stool I mentioned earlier.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/13/21 5:09 p.m.

I have three of them. I almost never actually sit on them. But I do use them regularly to put stuff on that I'm painting or whatever. Basically, I just use them as sawhorses lol. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
1/13/21 6:49 p.m.
pirate said:
pirate said:

This is a picture of stool I mentioned earlier.

I have one of these that I think came from harbor freight 10ish years ago that I love. One of the castors stripped out and I just welder it back to the base. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/21 7:15 p.m.

Thank God this thread isn't about potty emergencies.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/13/21 7:20 p.m.

In reply to RevolverRob :

I had one of those that I liberated from a local hospital when they did a major renovation.  It was very useful and I was bummed when it finally broke.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/13/21 7:22 p.m.

I have been using a rotating seat that sits on top of a 5 gallon pail.  I have seen these sold as hunting stools in the past and this one came from an old farm.   

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8EtbJ7hQ7GS1mZqVVHp2N918Oc2sB6gxgY0TdlwquVjlzLKh5R90mtfbIKWIHtFg