Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
1/24/23 7:01 p.m.

Reading through the safety failures thread got me thinking about my own adventures on track days.  I realized that the only exposed body parts I have whilst on track are some of my most valuable assets, my hands.  

So now I'm on the hunt for gloves.  What should I be looking for?  Certs, ratings, brands, all that good stuff.  

drock25too
drock25too GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/24/23 8:45 p.m.

I've got Speedway Motors, G-Force, and  Racequip gloves.  Can't tell much difference in the Speedway and G-force.  Racequip feels a little thinner, but they are not SFI rated. Others are single later SFI. I have a pair of red g-force, I use for track days. Thought they would be easier for other drivers to see for "point by". Maybe not.  I  know following a black car with black mirrors,  black gloves are hard to see. Anyone else have an opinion on color?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/24/23 9:11 p.m.

In reply to drock25too :

I recently bought gloves, also chose red for visibility.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/24/23 9:23 p.m.

Mine are yellow.

Years ago when I bought them I was in the store with a good ol' boy who wanted an open face helmet so he could smoke. When he heard me comment to the sales guy that yellow looked like it'd be good for signaling he asked "what kinda racing you doing?" and I told him road course, where you signal to let other drivers know what you're doing.

"The only signal I give is THIS"

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
1/24/23 9:23 p.m.

Bright colors was one of the things that I was thinking about.  If for no other reason, it makes them easier to find in the race tote.  That obviously translates to point bys as well.  

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
1/24/23 9:27 p.m.

I would first consider what the racing sanctioning body specifies. As mentioned color is a consideration for visibility - I have orange and red. I have 2 mostly because of weather as I drove an open car. 

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle New Reader
1/25/23 12:14 a.m.

I just bought a new set of OMP after the leather palms on my 20-year-old G-Force set split completely open at the last track weekend. I tried on gloves from Sparco, OMP, Sabelt, and Alpinestars, and they were really all about the same, unlike suits helmets and shoes. Get something with external seams. All are SFI rated at that point, around $140. I found no difference at all between those and the $300 models, which is just silly money for gloves as far as I'm concerned, even if they are hand-stitched from unicorn hide by the Angel Gabriel himself. In fact, I'm still miffed at the $140 because I'm a thrifty bastard, but my hands are worth at least that much. And interestingly after all the comments about color, I chose a pair that were as subtle as possible, black and gray. Thought was that I don't want my hands clad in flashy gloves on the wheel and in peripheral vision to distract my focus. With the rack in the e30, they're busy.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
1/25/23 12:50 a.m.

I love my OMP gloves.  I rent a lot of seats in Champcar, so I never know what the material on the steering wheel will be.  My OMP's have always had grip, where some of my co-drivers had trouble with their bargain brands.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
1/25/23 6:43 a.m.

If possible, try stuff on.  For whatever reason Alpinestars fit my hands perfectly and lots of other stuff doesn't.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
1/25/23 7:32 a.m.

In reply to Puddy46 :

I like the white leather shorty gloves with the holes or mesh screen on the backside.   
  Proper attire for a casual trip around the lake.  You need exposed finger tips to unscrew the knobs on the windscreen in order to fold it flat.  

Oh you mean for racing?  Then red nomex gloves with sleeves  well up your arms. Like the pair in my helmet bag.  

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
1/25/23 8:24 a.m.

In reply to Nockenwelle :

This is good info.  I had a similar reaction when I saw $300 for a pair of gloves.   The $100-$150 range was much more palatable.  

I'll give a good look to OMP, since it's been getting a positive feedback in this thread.  Unfortunately I don't have a good source to go try on gloves locally, so I'm taking a bit of a gamble.  

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
1/25/23 8:28 a.m.

i run Geforce G5 gloves. They work and once broken in a little grip just about anything and everything.  They are also affordable. 

I will say though my next set might go with Sparco's. Tried a set on at OG Racing and fell in love. Didnt fall in love with the price though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SNQ1XSU1opqocEmyx85OLfk5y1XvIXh4ubFnmwyqkr54IcOK0HURzAzqBHHZg18Z