AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
5/13/14 8:23 a.m.

I was kind of hoping that I could get through my entire life without ever 1) having a bird poop on my head, and 2) typing the words "Learn Me" on this forum. Oh well, still poop free...

One of my two garage doors has gone wonky on me. It squeaks and rocks on the tracks to the point where sometimes it jams and auto-reverses. I looked over the tracks and they looked fairly straight and aligned--nothing horrible. I replaced the wheels and got only very modest improvement.

So now what? Anybody out there have any experience getting nice, smooth garage door action back?

Thanks!

Jack
Jack SuperDork
5/13/14 9:13 a.m.

It would help to know if it is a dual spring or single torsion spring across the header. When the door goes up, try helping on one side and then the other. This will help identify if it's a problem with just one side and which side. Also, check out the cable pulleys and insure one has not failed. I just recently had squeaking and minor irregular movement in one door and a few drops of oil on a pulley smoothed it right out.

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
5/13/14 9:33 a.m.

It's got a spring and cable pulley on either side of the door. I'll try oiling the pulleys tonight. Makes sense.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
5/13/14 10:28 a.m.

Disconnect the opener. Raise the door by hand. See if you can find the point/cause of the problem. Insufficient spring tension, misaligned track, bad roller etc.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/14 10:50 a.m.

Search DDN Garage Doors for tutorials and videos.

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
5/13/14 9:22 p.m.

A shot of spray lube on each pulley and it's running like new.

This forum is great.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
5/14/14 5:01 p.m.

Most garage door springs have a line painted on them, if you see a straight line(or a difference between how twisted up the two are) it came loose or broke.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/14 5:19 p.m.

Spray those springs once a year too.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
5/14/14 6:30 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

With what?

ChrisR
ChrisR New Reader
5/15/14 10:45 p.m.

Use 3-in-1 oil or engine oil in a squirt can. With the door closed run a bead across the top of the springs then take a rag and spread it around. When the spring winds up and unwinds, the oil will work its way in between the coils. It will last longer then silicone spray. Doors, just like cars need to be 'tuned up' once a year. Wood doors need attention more so then metal doors. Snug the hinge nuts (or screws), oil the hinges (just a couple of drops on the 'barrels' where the hinge bends), oil the rollers at the ball bearings, or if you have plastic rollers spray those with silicone. If there is a plastic bearing at the spring anchor plate (which lag screws into the header) a little shot of silicone won't hurt. What 'pulleys' are you guys talking about? If you are talking about where the cables attach up high those are called cable drums. When you're tightening things check the track bolts and the lag screws the attach the track to the wall. Don't use grease in the tracks. That doesn't do a thing but make a huge mess. And if the door isn't balanced right for god sakes don't use screwdrivers or rebar to add tension to the springs in less you don't like your fingers and hands. :) Hope that helps a little.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vOaOfBLFbW41GASm2RGmD2EqgOdTdyd5DhlK6XBebjVmWIdcbprCEfx6cqDrtOZV