edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
2/2/15 12:19 p.m.

so after seeing the video of the semi's racing the nurburgring gp track another thread (corvette <7 min ring time thread?) and some in the gif thread it got me curious as to if anybody knew anything about these big rigs.

what engines are they running and what kind of power do they make? what kind of transmission are they using? these things also handle pretty well for being giants, whats the suspension like?

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
2/2/15 12:20 p.m.

They are neat but my only question is why?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/2/15 12:23 p.m.
nepa03focus wrote: They are neat but my only question is why?

why not?

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
2/2/15 12:33 p.m.

What do you tow it to the track with?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/15 12:38 p.m.

racing improves the breed, right?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/2/15 1:02 p.m.

Chumptruck is starting this year in teh US. Google it.

Also, Fifth Gear did a big thing on teh euro series of big truck racing.

Apparently, they use stock blocks and up the boost. Something like 1000 hp and 2500 + lb ft.

Also, the brakes and pads are stock. They use water (in a 75 gallon tank) to cool the brakes so they work.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
2/2/15 1:06 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: Chumptruck is starting this year in teh US. Google it. Also, Fifth Gear did a big thing on teh euro series of big truck racing. Apparently, they use stock blocks and up the boost. Something like 1000 hp and 2500 + lb ft. Also, the brakes and pads are stock. They use water (in a 75 gallon tank) to cool the brakes so they work.

it's actually "Champtruck"... guess they don't want the Chumpcar prestige to rub off on them..

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
2/2/15 1:34 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: why not?

exactly my thought, but mostly just the product of boredom

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
2/2/15 2:07 p.m.

I seem to remember reading on the Chumpcar Forum that you can get your semi outfitted for racing for a mere $35k. Complete ready-to-race trucks are $60-80k, IIRC. Definitely not for the faint of pocketbook, but not a terrible deal as far as 1000 hp purpose-built racecars(trucks) go, I guess.

http://www.brucemotorsportsllc.com/build-a-truck/

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/15 3:33 p.m.
T.J. wrote: What do you tow it to the track with?

The $60k Champ truck is a good way away from the 1000 hp FIA Super Trucks, it's more like a used highway tractor with a roll cage. The FIA trucks run disc brakes, automated gearboxes and are mid engine with the engine moved back out from under the cabs.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/2/15 4:13 p.m.

You'd think with the Merica' bigger, better, faster, more, ethos we have, that this kind of thing would be a hit here.

Wally
2/2/15 4:29 p.m.

They had a series in the 80's that ran speedways and dirt ovals. We went to see them at Pocono a few times. If I remember right they were hard on the track surface though. One year when Pocono still had the steel walls they had a truck either go through or over it. Look up GATR on Youtube for some old videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIEwqTJpWjU

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/2/15 4:43 p.m.

In reply to Wally:

They were doing that racing in smokey and the bandit 2!

Wally
2/2/15 6:41 p.m.

Yeah, they filmed that at Atlanta. They ran somewhere around 130 MPH there.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
2/3/15 7:50 a.m.

any knowledge on the suspension of these things? i guess unloaded the stock suspension is probably pretty stiff but it still seems top heavy to where it would want to tip

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
2/3/15 9:36 a.m.
Wally wrote: They had a series in the 80's that ran speedways and dirt ovals. We went to see them at Pocono a few times. If I remember right they were hard on the track surface though. One year when Pocono still had the steel walls they had a truck either go through or over it. Look up GATR on Youtube for some old videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIEwqTJpWjU

I feel like I heard they did that at Texas World Speedway in the '90s, too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2EGchcACzQArzzUzNWceWREV5iF9teI4RXH9wE0ZDQoAR0ttWD1liImkSpzBWnVo