Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
1/25/15 2:00 p.m.

So I now have two cars with difficult to access trunkish mounted batteries. Makes jumping them off a half hour affair. Requiring tools.

So the easy button here would be remote jump terminals. Moving them isn't an option.

This being me (cheap) and grm (creative and cheap) im looking at all options. I also am uncertain about what gauge cable needs to be run. My gut says something like 4 gauge.

So, teach me the safe, cheap, and dead nuts reliable way to do thin.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/25/15 2:32 p.m.

Look under the hood of an R53 MINI CooperS. They have a terminal box up front, but the battery is in the hatch.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/25/15 2:41 p.m.

Lots of cars have them. All they are, at their core, are a chunk of cable and something to bolt it to.

When I moved the battery to the back in my RX-7, I just added a cable from the battery to the starter and kept all of the old stuff. Then I bolted a dead Ford starter solenoid to the inner fender near where the battery used to be, and I attached the old positive cable to one of its lugs. Works just fine.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
1/25/15 3:05 p.m.

the drag racers and circle track guys that don't run alternators have had this figured out for decades...

just get some cheap remote terminals, some big cables, and some sort of a mounting bracket..

or you could get all fancy and use those big HD plugs like tow trucks have in their grilles to plug the cables in without popping the hood. they are easier to mount and better protected from short circuits:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/cable-quick-disconnect

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
1/25/15 6:28 p.m.

So, pretty much I'm overthinking this and trying to be too much of a cheapass, eh?

I have thick skin. I can take it. Anyone have a cheaper source than 22 shipped for a pair?

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
1/25/15 7:16 p.m.

when I drag raced I used welding cable plugs and sockets. I had a set inside the school bus hauler so I charged on the way to the track and the way back. $22 is cheap might have to pair a few sets myself always wanted to do that type on my truck so no popping the hood.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V83YcEQ0DA9QlpzJoCQz6GyhaWpvJuU0roZX7QILBlzPB2T6c6AvRurUJCyIXPXU