Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
2/16/15 2:01 p.m.

I know they're rebadged Opels, and the reviews I read on them said they were fun to drive, but I have no experience with them. Anyone have one? Just kicking tires looking for a sub $6k hatch/wagon to use as a reliable runabout. Saw one on CL, had never thought about them until I saw it. Don't see many on the road. I'd assume since they were sold in Europe, part supply shouldn't be too hard?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/16/15 2:05 p.m.

I test drove one and was disappointed. Gutless, poor control layout, and cheap interior. And this from a guy looking to get out of a '97 Saturn SC2.

Parts could be a bother, while popular in Europe, they were only sold here a few years.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
2/16/15 2:07 p.m.

Some parts are harder to come by than they should. Clutches are $450 and typically need to be replaced around 100,000 miles. 138HP, so it's slow. If you do get one, get an XR, since they have nicer interiors and most had the handling package with a 1.4" drop and 17" or 18" wheels. In under 100,000 miles, it's needed 2 rear pairs of struts, an alternator, an AC compressor, a clutch, and a coil pack.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
2/16/15 2:09 p.m.

I drove one that belonged to a co-worker at GM when they first came out. He had the XR(?), or whatever the sportiest model was. It was fun to drive and quick through the auto-x courses. I like the styling and thought the interior was decent for a GM product of that vintage. I would guess that they're not super reliable compared to, say, a civic, but I don't have any evidence to back that up.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
2/16/15 2:19 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: Some parts are harder to come by than they should. Clutches are $450 and typically need to be replaced around 100,000 miles. 138HP, so it's slow. If you do get one, get an XR, since they have nicer interiors and most had the handling package with a 1.4" drop and 17" or 18" wheels. In under 100,000 miles, it's needed 2 rear pairs of struts, an alternator, an AC compressor, a clutch, and a coil pack.

Have you had it since new? How would you describe the driving experience? What have your mpgs been like?

failboat
failboat UltraDork
2/16/15 2:36 p.m.

Its been years since I was looking into an Astra. I seem to remember reading there are no front cup holders..is that even true?

drdisque
drdisque New Reader
2/16/15 3:06 p.m.

Basically, it was an early 2000's compact car that didn't get here until the the late 2000's. By that time is was out of date.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
2/16/15 3:15 p.m.

Same platform as the Cobalt and Ion, I believe.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/16/15 3:36 p.m.

I can think of a few other options I'd select for $6k

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
2/16/15 4:17 p.m.

Yeah, I've had it since new. The ex-wife just took it with her a few weeks ago, so it's no longer in my care.

It handled pretty well, but it never liked to shift quickly. From what I understand, the automatics are horrible, but I've never driven one. We averaged about 28 MPG around town, and about 32 MPG on the highway, sometimes getting as good as 34 MPG.

I'll miss the car almost as much as the wife, for whatever that's worth.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
2/17/15 10:21 a.m.

I have an 08 XR 4 door that I picked up pretty cheaply from a dealer about 6 months ago. It has around 102k on it right now, unfortunately an auto, but I got them to take my gas-hog TBSS off my hands for a decent price at the time of ~4.00 gas.

It's not particularly great at anything, but it does everything expected of it. Tons of room, decent acceleration, decent mpg, decent stereo, neat panoramic sunroof. I picked it up as a 1-owner with 97k on the clock and did a basic tune up (spark plugs, new filters, trans drain and fill). I had a CEL pop up for an O2 sensor (~80 bucks) and also a misfire from the spark plug boot/wire (all 4 sold as one, very $$$, but I went with the Chinese knock-off for ~$100 and it has been fine) but both were easy to fix and the car has never left me stranded. Mine is going to go up for sale as I just picked up a nicer car to DD (Acura TL) but it did somewhat endear itself to me over that short period of time. They are crazy cheap since people see defunct Saturn and run, but that can also bite you with certain parts.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
2/17/15 10:43 a.m.

I like Saturn and the value they can bring with low prices but I would likely avoid an Astra.
Sure, it largely a GM parts bin car, but..
It shares the platform with the Cobalt though all unique sheet metal
It also has a unique GM 1.8L motor not offered in any other GM here in the states.
Add to this the low production volume and short production run and I think you are surely looking at a orphaned vehicle that can not even be supported by junkyard parts do to the general rarity.

If you want to capitalize on the Saturn value in that class of car take a look at the Ion which ran through the '07 model year. The Ion was a polular car which shared its drivetain with Chevy Cobalt, HHR, Malibu, Pontiac G5, Grand Am, etc. The Ion also was the last of the Saturns with the good plastic panels.
Though, on the Ion, avoid some of the early CVT auto trans which are crap. They later went to 4 speed auto which are fine and all the 5 speed manuals are good too.

bigbens6
bigbens6 Reader
2/17/15 10:49 a.m.

How much power can a stock bottom end of on these hold? How well do they go left and right? I really wanted an S2000 but I always wondered if a cheaper sky/solstice + the difference in price could compete in more than just stright line speed (where i figure turbo with +20 hp out of the box the GMC already wins)

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/17/15 10:52 a.m.
bigbens6 wrote: How much power can a stock bottom end of on these hold? How well do they go left and right? I really wanted an S2000 but I always wondered if a cheaper sky/solstice + the difference in price could compete in more than just stright line speed (where i figure turbo with +20 hp out of the box the GMC already wins)

Wrong thread

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/17/15 12:14 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: I can think of a few other options I'd select for $6k

Like an Ion Redline, Cobalt SS, SVT Focus?

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
2/17/15 12:38 p.m.
yamaha wrote: Ion Redline, Cobalt SS, SVT Focus?

Beat me to it.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/17/15 12:46 p.m.

In reply to ScreaminE:

Always remember not to include the srt4 neon in that list.....unless you hate the person you're giving advice to.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/17/15 12:52 p.m.

That kind of money can also get you a very nice Mini Cooper S, Toyota Matrix XRS (2ZZ/6-speed), and a handful of other nicer cars...

Honestly the Astra's biggest flaw is that it is not cheaper to run, more fun to drive, or more practical than any number of cars that cost the same or less. Its competitors pretty much equal or better it in every single category other than obscurity.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/17/15 12:56 p.m.

It is too bad we never got the turbo version of that car.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
2/17/15 2:14 p.m.

The Astra looks like a cool car but i'd be weary of the parts drying up in the near future or having to get parts shipped in from Europe.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
2/17/15 2:16 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to ScreaminE: Always remember not to include the srt4 neon in that list.....unless you hate the person you're giving advice to.

Agree. Mostly because they have been ruined by nearly everyone who owns one. A clean one is a rare beast, usually with a delusional seller asking $10k.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Oad67AvkoGZXnkx5ihwc8Au74PZzPRYHPAN9dSGxDNOuRSG3e1paQBV9beeXwBjU