1 2
mfennell
mfennell HalfDork
7/11/24 12:24 p.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all these categories (UHP, etc) just made-up bins that Tire Rack assigns each tire to based on whatever hand-wavy thing they choose?  

Mattk
Mattk
7/11/24 12:34 p.m.
roninsoldier83 said:
Andy Hollis said:
roninsoldier83 said:

I will second GTwannaB's motion: GRM editors, any chance you would consider a (~300ish TW) summer vs UHP all-season comparison? I would happily write one myself if someone wanted to donate a set of Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02's to the cause! You know, for science and whatnot. laugh

This is a super-niche comparison.

Tires are a compromise.  It's already a huge trade-off to have the versatility of a Max Performance Summer 300tw (ECS02 and PS4S/PSS5).  Trading off even more performance to include cold/icey weather performance goes far beyond logical motorsports usage.  Given that we are "Grassroots Motorsports", I see little value in this for a wide audience.

Super-niche. I agree. This is Grassroots Motorsports and I agree this test would not be in the context of motorsports. It probably wouldn't appeal to a huge audience (although it might surprise you- there are probably more people on the fence than you think- or at least more people that might read it just to see the real-world differences). 

I've read several of your tire-related tests over the years and would consider you one of the world's foremost experts on explaining all things tire related. I don't blame you for not wanting to waste your time on such an oddball comparison... but for the record, if you ever get bored and change your mind, I would love to hear your thoughts! 

I agree with this, I would love to see this kind of tire review!

No Time
No Time UberDork
7/11/24 2:05 p.m.

Does the comparison have more relevance for budget conscious readers in northern states that need to use the same tires for both commuting and autocross?

These are locations where the season may start and end with temps between  30F and 50F, while mid summer can approach low-mid 90s? 

I'm just thinking it's definitely a niche market for many states south of the Mason Dixon line, but could it be relevant to those north of it? 

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
7/11/24 8:27 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/24 10:10 p.m.
No Time said:

Does the comparison have more relevance for budget conscious readers in northern states that need to use the same tires for both commuting and autocross?

These are locations where the season may start and end with temps between  30F and 50F, while mid summer can approach low-mid 90s? 

I'm just thinking it's definitely a niche market for many states south of the Mason Dixon line, but could it be relevant to those north of it? 

Conti ECSes still work when it's 30F.  They just don't work if the precipitation is frozen, be it ice, snow, or slush.

I drove on mine after getting caught out in a snowstorm and they worked about as well as the new Riken all seasons that my car came with.  That is to say, the nicest thing I can say is that I avoided crashing through diligent driving.  But only because of that.  The first time it snowed with the Rikens, it took me about 50 yards of ABS pounding anxiety to stop from 30mph.  Immediately ordered proper winter tires.

Not relevant to the thread of course.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
7/12/24 12:16 p.m.
mfennell said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all these categories (UHP, etc) just made-up bins that Tire Rack assigns each tire to based on whatever hand-wavy thing they choose?  

Not really.

All season tires have certain characteristics that allow them to work in freezing/icey/snowy conditions which allows them to wear the M&S symbol.  None of the summer tires, Extreme or Max, have these characteristics.  In fact, it's probably the single clearest category distinction in all of TR's "tire bins".

Note that TR does test all-season UHP tires, so there is good data out there.  They just don't typically do cross-category testing.  But you can do a little extrapolation by looking at various tests.  Not same day, but the trends are so large, it's pretty obvious what is going on.

mfennell
mfennell HalfDork
7/12/24 4:35 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:
mfennell said:

Not really.

All season tires have certain characteristics that allow them to work in freezing/icey/snowy conditions which allows them to wear the M&S symbol.  None of the summer tires, Extreme or Max, have these characteristics.  In fact, it's probably the single clearest category distinction in all of TR's "tire bins".

I would argue that the only true distinction is the M&S symbol.  The rest is TR hand waving.

I'm not saying it's bad, necessarily, as it provides some hints to buyers, but when I see discussions comparing the classes TR has created, I think it's important to remember that there's no rigor behind these assignments.  It's their best guess.  "Extreme" and "Max" have no real meaning.  Tire manufacturers don't build to "Extreme" requirements because no such thing exists (AFAIK).

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
7/13/24 4:02 a.m.
mfennell said:

I would argue that the only true distinction is the M&S symbol.  The rest is TR hand waving.

I'm not saying it's bad, necessarily, as it provides some hints to buyers, but when I see discussions comparing the classes TR has created, I think it's important to remember that there's no rigor behind these assignments.  It's their best guess.  "Extreme" and "Max" have no real meaning.  Tire manufacturers don't build to "Extreme" requirements because no such thing exists (AFAIK).

There one more hard and fast category...Competition.  If it says "not for highway use", it goes there.  laugh

What you say is about 70% true.  The other 30% is the industry targeting different market segments for various models, and TR is closely tied to those manufacturers and many of those decisions.  There's a lot more to those relationships that goes on behind the scenes, much of which is never publicly revealed. 

For example, TR provides testing services for some big names of new products before they are available.  "Confirmation testing" so they can see where those tires will end up landing when finally reviewed publicly.  They also test products that they do not yet carry as a "taste test" for potential sale.

Pricing and potential sales, are also discussion points.  All of that includes a feedback loop to the manufacturer.

TR is way more influential to the industry than a simple retailer/wholesaler of tires.

mfennell
mfennell HalfDork
7/13/24 8:43 a.m.
Andy Hollis said:

TR is way more influential to the industry than a simple retailer/wholesaler of tires.

Wow.  No kidding!  Thanks for chiming in.

Snrub
Snrub Dork
7/13/24 11:13 a.m.
Andy Hollis said:
mfennell said:

Note that TR does test all-season UHP tires, so there is good data out there.  They just don't typically do cross-category testing.  But you can do a little extrapolation by looking at various tests.  Not same day, but the trends are so large, it's pretty obvious what is going on.

I'm really glad I took your advice and purchased the Conti ECS 02 earlier this year. I'm a numbers guys, but it was your subjective feedback that really convinced me.

If you look at tire racks lap time data dry vs wet:

Pirelli P Zero AS Plus 3: 29.11 / 30.99

Conti ECS 02: 28.64 / 29.87

They haven't tested run of the mill summer UHP tires since 2019 and with a different car.

General GMax RS: 30.77 / 34.73

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4: 30.40 / 33.61

I think it's reasonable that one could ask if should they buy a value oriented summer UHP vs a longer lasting all season UHP. Outside of the top tier "max" tires, Summer UHP seems like a neglected category. I get your point that perhaps GRM isn't the place to do it.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
7/13/24 12:29 p.m.
Snrub said:

I think it's reasonable that one could ask if should they buy a value oriented summer UHP vs a longer lasting all season UHP. Outside of the top tier "max" tires, Summer UHP seems like a neglected category. I get your point that perhaps GRM isn't the place to do it.

One can always ask.  smiley

But here's the thing...if you want a budget solution for grassroots level motorsports, including some dual-use on the street...all-seasons are not the right answer.  Something like a Hankook RS4 will deliver much better value.  All-seasons will destroy themselves on the track.  All that void plus compounds that turn on in freezing temps means they will overheat immediately and chunk when pushed to the limit for a track session.

"All season" does not mean longer lasting.  Quite the contrary.  They are designed to be able to work in sub-freezing and icy/snowy conditions.  The only thing that makes UHP A/S tires a thing is that they have some sportiness built into the handling characteristics...for street use. 

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
7/13/24 3:09 p.m.

Agreed.  "Longer lasting," i.e., the higher tread wear number that these often come with, is only valid for the intended use on the street.  

There is a guy on a VW forum who will die on the hill of saying his Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's are "great track tires" giving him "98%" of a dedicated track tire.

Um, no...but you can't disagree with him, even after asking

"how many laps did you get out of them?"  

And he responded "about two."

"So what happened?"

"They started feeling kind of greasy and when I pulled into the pits after a session, there were chunks of tread missing."

"98%" ...  Cool story bro.

These are tires for the street that provide a modicum of sportiness and light winter driving.  I've seen statements that manufacturers received feedback from customers that they wanted a tire that works in different temperature ranges because they don't want to switch out tires for each season.  The Michelin Pilot Sport All Season (PSAS) 4 can even be had as an OEM tire on the C8 Corvette now, apparently for that very reason.

Like many products, when used for the intended  purpose, their fine.  Try to make them into something they are not will bring tears.

Tire Rack interview with the Michelin Project Manager for the Pilot Sport line.

https://youtu.be/NhrUe7j4FVw?si=BQz44x3Zbzirl09s

Tyre Reviews video on the PSAS 4 on the C8.

https://youtu.be/lm6342C4CRo?si=SArsHILaMYivK49R

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
7/14/24 7:30 p.m.

In reply to roninsoldier83 :

While my Contis are maybe a generation old. I did the same transition as you.

Fortunately I had tried their rather unpopular predecessor as rally cross tires in 2007. They had a window of performance that meant I could drive to an event on them on salted cold pavement at 70MPH and not be afraid of exit ramps or corners. Then had rather funny amounts of high grip in the snowy or cold sandy rallycross courses. 

Based on that prior knowledge I was happy to chose the DWS 06s to allow me to travel through the deep snow of northern lower Michigan and also have some cornering capabilities in the summer. Mostly I felt they were the balance of not disintegrating in the summer with EVO8 launches and hard rotations into corners in summer and not have me sliding off an icy road while stopped at a red light on some desolate wind blown highway. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/15/24 11:19 a.m.

We run the DWS06 on the Mazda 3.........I think they are great all around tire and do great in snow and rain.

I run ECS on the BRZ also a bit fan. I also ran them on a previous NC Miata and was a fan. Although I was bit annoyed the ECS 2 came out like 2 months after my wheels were installed. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rkRselJss6NNUPgAR9ZxU5NgPj48u1mzH0rs0GnTw5jqjba1jgRoGrdyb76L6fAL