1 2
93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/6/12 10:14 p.m.

So I am thinking about picking up a wagon. I was wondering what fun cheap wagons were out there. I am looking for something under $5k and decent gas milage (over 20 combined). Vintage would be cool and A/C would be a big plus.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/6/12 10:35 p.m.

G-body Olds with lots of peeling woodgrain stickers????

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Reader
1/6/12 10:38 p.m.

You can buy my wagon, but you'd have to double that $5k.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/6/12 10:49 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: G-body Olds with lots of peeling woodgrain stickers????

I didn't think there was a G-body Olds wagon. I know of a Malibu G-body wagon.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
1/7/12 12:19 a.m.

Buick century wagon. Uninspiring, boring, ugly.

Will survive a nuclear holocaust, they run forever.

FOR EV VER.

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
1/7/12 12:28 a.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/186/

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
1/7/12 3:22 a.m.

300td?

thunderzy
thunderzy Reader
1/7/12 3:52 a.m.

I'm also looking for a wagon. I have a post, "mid size wagons that can handle" some good replies in that thread.

Anyway you gotta ask yourself what you really want. Do you want a manual trans, awd, rwd, compact, mid size, vintage, or modern. Plus what will it be used for, DD, weekender, hauler, show car or even track car. Maybe a combination of those. Once you get more specific on what you want it to do and have you'll get some spot on suggestions here.

I looked at everything from nova wagons to MB e wagons. Still haven't made up my mind, but I've narrowed it down to 3.

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
1/7/12 6:11 a.m.

In reply to Aeromoto: I love this all the way down to the little white wall tires. Is it a Merc?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
1/7/12 6:35 a.m.

95-99 Legacy Wagon. Mines a 2.2, so its dog slow, but its AWD, got about 27 MPG combined in the summer, and is getting about 23-24 combined right now on winter gas and snow tires.

Its a fun rallycrosser, WRX and STI suspension goodies bolt up, although it handles pretty well stock.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/5854/

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
1/7/12 6:36 a.m.
ls1fiero wrote: In reply to Aeromoto: I love this all the way down to the little white wall tires. Is it a Merc?

Could be a Merc but looks more like a Ford Galaxy. Either way it looks good.

plance1
plance1 Dork
1/7/12 6:45 a.m.

Answer is always turbo brick

plance1
plance1 Dork
1/7/12 6:48 a.m.
vazbmw wrote: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/186/

sweet mother of god, that car is on fire!

wae
wae New Reader
1/7/12 7:31 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: G-body Olds with lots of peeling woodgrain stickers????
I didn't think there was a G-body Olds wagon. I know of a Malibu G-body wagon.

Wasn't the Cutlas Cruiser built on the G platform? I don't recall those doing the genuine faux wood paneling decals, though. That seemed to be the domain of the big B wagons.

11110000 Reader
1/7/12 7:39 a.m.
plance1 wrote: Answer is always turbo brick

Hard to beat the HP/$ ratio of these, and they will stand up to some pretty severe abuse before vomiting internals.

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
1/7/12 8:22 a.m.
eastsidemav wrote: 95-99 Legacy Wagon. Mines a 2.2, so its dog slow, but its AWD, got about 27 MPG combined in the summer, and is getting about 23-24 combined right now on winter gas and snow tires. Its a fun rallycrosser, WRX and STI suspension goodies bolt up, although it handles pretty well stock. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/5854/

Winter gas ? Please learn me.

thunderzy
thunderzy Reader
1/7/12 8:38 a.m.
eastsidemav wrote: 95-99 Legacy Wagon. Mines a 2.2, so its dog slow, but its AWD, got about 27 MPG combined in the summer, and is getting about 23-24 combined right now on winter gas and snow tires. Its a fun rallycrosser, WRX and STI suspension goodies bolt up, although it handles pretty well stock. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/5854/

I'm leaning toward a 2nd gen legacy also. Makes the most sense for me as I live in Michigan.

wae
wae New Reader
1/7/12 8:46 a.m.
dankspeed wrote:

It has to do with the EPA and the amount of pressure that builds up in the fuel tank with different blends of fuel. That results in fuel vapors escaping the system and leads to the EPA flipping the heck out. The way I've always understood it is that the summer/warm weather fuel burns less efficiently due to that change, but the winter gas will net you an increase in mpg.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/7/12 9:02 a.m.
wae wrote: Wasn't the Cutlas Cruiser built on the G platform? I don't recall those doing the genuine faux wood paneling decals, though. That seemed to be the domain of the big B wagons.

I had the FWD Gutless version on the brain thinking of peeling woodgrain.... Or to satisfy the above, a Fairmont with LOTS of peeling woodgrain. Those I have witnessed firsthand.....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/12 9:13 a.m.
wae wrote:
dankspeed wrote:
It has to do with the EPA and the amount of pressure that builds up in the fuel tank with different blends of fuel. That results in fuel vapors escaping the system and leads to the EPA flipping the heck out. The way I've always understood it is that the summer/warm weather fuel burns less efficiently due to that change, but the winter gas will net you an increase in mpg.

Funny, I get less Miliage in the winter due to the reformation and inclusion of ethanol

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
1/7/12 9:39 a.m.

If you can find one that hasn't rusted out:

Civic wagon. Looks like a Civic. Drives like a Civic (great handling). Hauls like a wagon. In FWD versions all the usual motor swaps work. In RT4WD versions, you get the AWD advantages of a Subaru with better fuel economy (I got 30ish out of my automatic), and it comes stock with the D16A6 motor of the Si.

Now that's a wagon.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/7/12 9:39 a.m.
thunderzy wrote: Anyway you gotta ask yourself what you really want. Do you want a manual trans, awd, rwd, compact, mid size, vintage, or modern. Plus what will it be used for, DD, weekender, hauler, show car or even track car. Maybe a combination of those. Once you get more specific on what you want it to do and have you'll get some spot on suggestions here.

Manual transmission is a must, leaning towards midsize, it would be a DD and parts hauler.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/7/12 9:47 a.m.

I don't like BMWs. The Volvo Turbo might be a possibility. Same with the Mercedes 300TD which I kinda like but manuals are hard to find and 180hp is kinda the limit without spending big money.

What kinda mileage does a Volvo and Malibu wagon with SBC get?

Another idea I was thinking about was a Dodge Dart with a slant 6. I have heard those will get above 20mpg.

LopRacer
LopRacer Reader
1/7/12 10:32 a.m.

So much classic Merc want.

Whilst watching a special on Mercedes on Speed this morning and I browse the Ebay and find a mercedes I would love to finish.

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle Reader
1/7/12 10:47 a.m.

This is relevant to me too! I want to build a "surf wagon" for our trips to the beach and biking. Just for cost and availability reasons, I am thinking Caprice or Crown Vic.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FsUqrUnyFPZfVtcWMQe6EB8em6UL3GeNHxp7WLbfiwcGPyDwK8ypaYTHHtNARppE