1 2
WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/8/16 2:45 p.m.
The Hoff wrote: No. Besides a big improvement in looks, the clearcoat keeps the brake dust from sticking to the color. I've painted wheels with and without the clear, the silver paint starts to yellow without the added protection of the clear.

That's kinda what I expected. I can't imagine going through the effort to paint your wheels and not clear coating? Not only that, a lot of time the clearcoat has the UV inhibitor, so without it many paints will fade in the sun.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
9/8/16 4:32 p.m.
WonkoTheSane wrote: I'm guessing that's due to the factory finish... The factory finish of aluminum wheels is silver paint on top of it, and I don't think they're all that careful when they coat 'em.

Not sure if this reply was to me, but if so I can say this was not the case here. I spent way more time sanding the factory finish down than I'd care to admit. When I was done I'd wished I had just gotten them blasted. So they were really nice and smooth when I started with primer.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/8/16 6:46 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine:

Yeah, it was.. in that case I have no idea. It totally looks like my stock rims' finish.

java230
java230 Dork
9/16/16 9:55 a.m.

OK I only have a day or so to figure out what paint to use....

Looking at the MSDS for both Rustoleum or Duplicolor "wheel paints" They have mostly acetone, propane and butane and carbon black.

The Rustoleum "Professional" has the propane, butnae, acetone, carbon black, mek and other nastie chemicals in it.

Any idea what their differences is? Still waffling on what to use... I dont think I used wheel paint last time I did it.

In case anyone cares....

Duplicolor Wheel MSDS

Rustoleum Wheel MSDS

Rustoleum Pro MSDS

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
9/16/16 10:25 a.m.

White or Black ? On a black car.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/16/16 10:34 a.m.

Why not just have them powdercoated?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
9/16/16 10:52 a.m.

I think you are overthinking this. I used the Duplicolor wheel paint (argent) on my Nissan truck and couldn't be happier.

java230
java230 Dork
9/16/16 12:05 p.m.
iceracer wrote: White or Black ? On a black car.

Black, on a red car.

In reply to z31maniac:

$$ and want to be able to touch up. I have a good friend who hates his powdercoated wheels. I could be convinced otherwise I guess.

In reply to spitfirebill:

OK OK..... Clear or no?

java230
java230 Dork
9/23/16 3:36 p.m.

OK finally did this. Ended up with VHT paint and clear, used 5 cans, 3 color, 2 clear. Let me just say sanding wheels sucks ass.

Step 1: And yes the front jack point is that far back...

20160921_184838

Step 2: Sand till not shiny. Used red Scotch Brite

20160921_193504

Step 3: wipe down with wax a grease remover, light fire to warm garage.

20160922_193459

Step 4: Mask.

20160922_203921

Step 5: Spray till its foggy in the garage. I needed 6 coats, 2 light misty coats of color, one wet coat. repeat with clear. 10 minute recoat time, and all coats must be on within 1 hour (per instructions) My god. took me about 7 mins to spray all 4, go outside for desperately needed fresh air, repeat for an hour.

20160922_214532

towel hung in front of heater fan to try to keep dust down.... Fire was off for painting....

Looked good this morning. Some dust and stuff in them, but thats kinda expected for garage spray bombing. 7 days for full cure.

20160923_060142

spandak
spandak Reader
1/9/19 2:39 p.m.

Hope no one minds but I want to bring this back up. 

How is the paint holding up? I’m planning do paint my wheels shortly and I’m deciding between primer or no primer. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
1/9/19 3:26 p.m.

Its holding up really well. A few little rock chips, but thats it.

A word of warning, I used this on the emblems also, I wanted it to match.... The VHT paint DOES NOT stick to plastic. Just flakes off, I sanded a prepped carefully to.

And since I never put finished pics up....

Dont do this....

Looks like this but dirtier now.

spandak
spandak Reader
1/9/19 3:30 p.m.

That looks great! Thanks for the update!

thewheelman
thewheelman Reader
1/9/19 4:08 p.m.

Wheels look Good!

For future reference, use whatever color Plastidip tickles your fancy, and follow up with their clear, called Glossifier. Duplicolor makes similar products. Just look for a peelable spray-on rubber coating. Using the clear is critical, as it imparts a semigloss to gloss finish over the color, and prevents it from looking "ashy" after time.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6KxqeH8ZOOj9g998IHUxuKL4U32iqirXmr4vD35UH06ACUSIslnFupuTRnfSqFt4