poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
6/12/08 1:17 p.m.

We're trying to find a "budget" 14" tire to run @ LeMons SC. Right now we're looking at Falken Ziex 912's from edge racing @ $49 ea., and figuring we can get away with a total of 6 tires for the event, plus a couple of spares from our street cars just in case. For $10 more, we can get the Azenis, but I'm worried that, judging by how they hold up on a hot auto-x course, the grip will go away quickly, not to mention the fact that with a 200 treadwear rating, I'm not sure if 6 tires will do the job.

Any thoughts?

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
6/12/08 1:47 p.m.

What about the new Azenis replacement? I always forget the brand. They are the same price, just as sticky, and yet, they apparently last longer and perform better in the wet.

Anyone know what I'm talking about here?

Nashco
Nashco Dork
6/12/08 2:28 p.m.

A set of 4 RT615s plus 4 similarly sized all seasonish backups would be my recommendation. I wouldn't go with only 6, all it takes is a bit of bad luck and you can easily cut three of them up, treadwear is not of much concern. Even at Thunderhill with relatively high speeds (high mileage, long fast sweepers) the RT615s were still ok by the end of the event...they were getting slick, comparable to all seasonish tires. At Detroit, treadwear was far less of a concern than carnage and that was with the slightly softer RT215. I recommend cheaper backups and better race tires so you can keep a similar overall budget with much better performance if you drive a clean race, but a good contingency plan if things get rough. If things get rough, sticky tires is the least of your concerns, keeping the car on the track will be the primary concern.

Bryce

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/12/08 3:23 p.m.

We got 6 RT615's and we are keeping our fingers crossed. One of our drivers is known for incinerating brakes and tires, he and I are going to have a word of prayer before his stints.

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
6/12/08 11:11 p.m.

Ha! Sounds like one of our drivers. I won't name any names, but Tom really does like to turn circles into octagons.

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
6/13/08 9:28 a.m.

We ran Hankook RS-2s at the Detroit event. I think one set would be good for around 16-20 hours.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 New Reader
6/13/08 9:38 a.m.
confuZion3 wrote: What about the new Azenis replacement? I always forget the brand. They are the same price, just as sticky, and yet, they apparently last longer and perform better in the wet. Anyone know what I'm talking about here?

You're talking about the Hankook Ventus RS2 Z212s that stumpmj mentioned.

I've run both, and i like my Hankooks better. They don't look as cool, though.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
6/13/08 1:19 p.m.

I'm pretty sure we're getting some Falken tires; just not sure which Falken tires. It's all so Falken overwhelming!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gO1HrKkH3zuMgolbBfNY1xoJUQrNaH1O1hAQMneRfK9n3DGidC4mne55ktkOL4oS