Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/7/09 5:26 p.m.

Have you seen it yet?

http://classicmotorsports.net/video/leno/

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
1/7/09 7:21 p.m.

I have tried but i get "video not found" and then something about an iPhone.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/7/09 7:22 p.m.

Browser & OS? And Flash Version?

JeffT
JeffT New Reader
1/7/09 7:31 p.m.

I saw it and it is awesome. Being a Lotus Enthusiast I appreciated his love for the Elan.

Thanks!

Carson
Carson HalfDork
1/7/09 7:47 p.m.

What's your favorite Leno car?

Mine would be the SAAB 93B and the Tatra T87

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
1/7/09 8:16 p.m.

With my Mac and Safari, the video wouldn't start - I just got the little twirly thing in the middle of the video screen.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/7/09 8:18 p.m.

Flash version?

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
1/7/09 8:25 p.m.

Mac, Safari, Firefox & can't find Flash. Where is it? But I just had to update Flash 2 weeks ago for a Defensive Driving course I was taking.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/7/09 8:27 p.m.

Weird. It was tested heavily in both Firefox and Safari on Mac. (along with IE6, 7 and 8 on Windows)

Right-click (or option-click) the video to find your Flash version.

And you are at the URL linked above, right?

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
1/7/09 9:05 p.m.

I tried with ie7 and a no go still

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/7/09 9:08 p.m.

OK. no go doesn't help me get it running for you, though. What did it do? And what version of Flash? I suspect that's the key bit of info.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
1/7/09 9:09 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: With my Mac and Safari, the video wouldn't start - I just got the little twirly thing in the middle of the video screen.

It's working now. Apparently the last time the site was tied up or something.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/7/09 9:13 p.m.

Its a BIG video

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
1/7/09 9:17 p.m.

oh that could be the reason

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
1/7/09 9:46 p.m.

haha, he gives love for the miata after tim asks him what cars kids nowadays should start with if they want to get into cars.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
1/7/09 9:53 p.m.

Awesome video. Jay is in the enviable position of having enough money to do all the things most of us would like to do but can't. I could listen to him for hours.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro New Reader
1/7/09 11:00 p.m.

The guy is a class act all the way

I love that a man who collects and restores Deusenbergs says that Ferraris' are unobtainable.

Shawn

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
1/8/09 9:18 a.m.

I found out I have Flash 10 but that apparently wasn't the problem, it must have been a glitch in the site because it's working now.

Is the thing in his hand a mic? It looks like an iphone, but the sound isn't varying as he waves it around.

Very good interview. Very varied questions and good responses. It shows he's basically a Grassroots type of guy at heart, he just has money and a TV show. Once again it shows Grassroots is an attitude moreso than a dollar figure.

How far away is the garage from his house? He talked about getting up in the middle of the night and drving a car.

Or should I say garage complex? Paint shop, laser this, hydroform that! That's the garage we all want. Think of the challenge car you could build there.

Now you've done it Tim. He'll have to go out and buy a Sunbeam Tiger.

I liked his comments on the American defense system and comparing WWII to nowadays. America couldn't do it on it's own any more. But that's probably more of the fact that we really do have a world or global economy today and there wasn't one back in the 40's. It's probably the only political type comment he's ever said that I agree with.

He was talking about cars with fatal flaws like the Hudson with it's powerful 6 when everyone else had gone to V8s, well his fatal flaw is his political views and his ability to put them in front of your face every night. As much as I like what he has to say about cars, his political viewpoints get in the way of my ability to just relax and enjoy listening to him. Maybe his new show will do away with that forum and allow me to forget that he's a "me too, I'll go with what's popular instead of what's right" political type of guy.

So when's GRM going to put on a Jay Leno type of website? I'd like to see some grassroots types of interviews of challenge car builders or tire tests, etc.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/8/09 9:44 a.m.

Interesting insight. Very good get, Tim. Now is that basically the interview that will get transcribed for CM?

I found his point about the Miura coming out wheil cars from teh 40's were still on the road to be a fascinating insght. I never thought of that angle.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/8/09 9:59 a.m.

Gamby, CM actually has MORE Leno stuff... a really nice feature on his Honda S600.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
1/8/09 1:23 p.m.

Thanks for all the comments guys. Jay lives in Beverly Hills which is 10-15 miles from his shop near the Burbank airport.

He does have a down to earth attitude and it was very weird interviewing him. I have interviewed a lot of famous and not so famous people in the last 25 years, but this time I was up against a guy who has been interviewed more often and interviewed more people, himself, than can possibly be imagined.

He is very good at it and what increased my challenge, was the fact that I have gotten to know Jay, pretty well over the years. It is pretty weird interviewing a friend, but whenever I talk to him he has such interesting car stuff to say that I wanted to share some of it with you guys. And yes, he collects Duesies, but has equal love for the lesser cars that we know and love.

Kramer
Kramer Reader
1/8/09 1:33 p.m.

Tim, were you nervous during the interview? Already knowing him may have helped. I'd be afraid of asking him something he thought was a waste of his time (although he appears to be very easy to talk to).

One of my dreams is to have him visit my family, and see our collection of vehicles ranging from 1880's steam engines, to a calliope, to antique cars, trucks and even a fire truck. And every one is maintained/repaired by us.

Baxter--the video doesn't go past 19:41 for me; it cuts off abruptly. Should I be seeing the entire 31:40? (Running IE7, XP and DSL).

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/8/09 1:36 p.m.

Probably. It may be timing out maybe some weird caching thing.

I suspect I still have a few things to learn about optimizing online video, especially the really large files like that one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5s1dqlIPillbcYA1vhBD5XNKU2lXw6PW0oQFMa4CgvzDJ9FdXCaVt8co3wtV5hpQ