1 2
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/27/21 8:26 p.m.

I know there are a bunch of threads on here on these, but I didn't see a proper "LERN ME" thread, so here we are. 

So here's the deal: my 18yo nephew is looking for a car. He's got under $4k to spend, and he's got a very tall list of demands:

-As nice as his current vehicle
-Fun to drive
-Something "faster than his friend's 2004 Mustang Mach 1" (which is something I don't really condone)
-If not something "fast", something cool
-Generally reliable

Basically, he's spoiled by his current ride: a 2004 4Runner Limited. It's put up with all his teenage abuse, but a recent peek underneath revealed at least 5 holes in the frame. While he's adamant that he can fix it, I'm not. He's handy with a wrench, and he's working as a lube tech at a local shop and has lots of tools and enough knowledge to be pretty dangerous. He's been sending me all sorts of vehicles, from 70's full size pickup projects to 90's Japanese luxury cars with questionable pasts. 

This week, not one but TWO late 90's Jaguar XJR's popped up locally in range. You guys know what I'm talking about. 

Both have the supercharged V8 and have issues, but are generally clean. I can't believe how dirt cheap they are, so naturally, there has to be a catch. But as I look around, this is typically the going price for one of these British luxobarges. I sent both to the nephew, and he said "I don't want to deal with any berking Jag BS" and poo-pooed my suggestion and sent me a clapped out Volvo S60R in response. 

So, what's the deal with these? Are they a steal at this price, or is my nephew right and these are chock full of "berking Jag BS"?  And no, there's no plans to LS swap one or anything like that, don't worry Frenchy. wink

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/28/21 7:15 a.m.

The X308 XJR was on my short list before I bought the E38.  Other than timing chain issues (resolved in the later years IIRC), I don't know of any major concerns with them.  The trans in them is solid, so I wouldn't be too scared of the basic drivetrain.  And they're new enough that Ford fixed the electrical in them. 

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
4/28/21 7:21 a.m.

Some xjr's were supercharged I6 engines.  I'd pick a turbo volvo over supercharged jag, and I've had both :)

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
4/28/21 8:23 a.m.

An old english car.  That doesn't sound like a good match for an 18 year old who wants something reliable.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/28/21 9:12 a.m.

I dunno, under 4 grand and late 90's Jag don't seem to go together.  You might get in for that, but not be able to sort it out under budget.

Seems like maybe you need to buy the XJR?  18-year olds know everything and can choose their own car. laugh

Edit:  Faster than the Mach 1, under $4k, and reliable?  Good luck with that.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/28/21 9:26 a.m.

All of these are good answers so far. If I had not bought the Kia last year, I would have already brought one of these home. laugh

And yes, he's 18 and "knows everything". A lot of us were like that at that age.

There's no way he's getting anything under $4k that's faster than his friend's car. Around here, he's lucky to get something that runs at that price. I've already explained that pretty much everything under $15k around here right now will need work. He got extremely lucky with a sweetheart deal on his 4Runner from a friend's family that was about to junk it because it needed brakes. He's had it for a few years now, and the frame is now Swiss cheese like all the other Toyota trucks in the Northeast.

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab New Reader
4/28/21 9:33 a.m.

XJRs have been cheap for a while. I remember looking a few years back when I had more disposable income and thought "no way these are that cheap and still running". But here we are, they're still cheap and still running. I dunno about 4k cheap, but I jumped on the ole googlelistbook and there seem to be number within 500mi of me for about 6k. They appear looked after too. I'd be more worried about the s60r/v70r to be honest (not that I think you were advocating for it). 

Slightly off topic, but for cheap and fast, I think 90s/early '00s hondas still win. A manual EK civic coupe is 2k-ish and it's not that hard to find cheap turbo parts for it--especially if he's mechanically inclined with tools and friends. They're also great learning tools. If (when) he blows it up, he can stuff a new engine in it and go through the build process again learning where he went right/wrong. I dunno that it's "beat Mach 1 Mustang" fast, but it'll be fun.   

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/28/21 9:37 a.m.

Current 2000 XJR owner:

They're rather reliable. Kinda fast.

Somewhat affordable, but not as affordable as they used to be. I bought mine under challenge price and will put it up for sale for around $7000 soon. 

Parts aren't expensive, and are plentiful. There seems to always be a partout of one around here. 

Kind of a PITA to work on. Coolant hoses in the valley under the supercharger is a piss poor job. 

They are super tamed and easy to drive. They are sneaky though and you'll find yourself at 100mph on accident. 

The 6 cyl XJR (x300) is the generation prior to the 8cyl (x308), they are also reliable. Almost as fast but more rare. 

I think they're good buys for someone who wants a v8 cruiser for under 10k. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
4/28/21 11:21 a.m.

I snapped this picture at lunch.

I'll give you my full write up after work, but the cliff notes version is:. I like them so well, I bought a second one yes

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/21 11:29 a.m.

Yeah, in my experience the v8 XJR is an excellent car. Small inside. 

Enough Ford to be reliable, enough Jag to be sexy. Enough HP to really get you into trouble (look up the road test articles from back in the day - the XJR nearly matches a c5 base in acceleration, braking, and slalom, while carrying 1000 extra lbs. 

They are an incredible bargain in today's market. Really nothing else comes close in my mind in. Your nephew's attitude is shared by most and is probably driving the low prices. 

Easy enough to fix, but the mindset is different. Procedures are not done in the common way, which probably causes some confusion and drives some of the bias. 

Look for one where the battery is dead. The battery is in the trunk and there is no way to manually open the trunk. You have to open the hood and back-power the car with a jump pack through a hot post. Many owners may not know this and you might be able to drive away a car that is otherwise in need of a tow. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/28/21 11:34 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

There's a super clean example locally that "won't start" and I'm guessing it's the battery, since it was sitting garaged for a few years. This is good to know.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/28/21 11:38 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Edit:  Faster than the Mach 1, under $4k, and reliable?  Good luck with that.

Mach 1 1/4 : 13.8 at 102 https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/mustang/2003/2003-ford-mustang-mach-1-2/

XJR 1/4 : 13.7 at 103 https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jaguar/xj-series/1998/1998-jaguar-xjr-long-term-wrap-up/

There's one for sale right now in the classifieds of this very forum for just a tick over $2k. Do your own work to fix and go kick some mustang butt. 

I drove my XJR for 3 ish years and 30ish k miles with just a few minor repairs needed. They are reliable. 

Edit, sorry, there's actually 2 on the front page of the cars for sale subforum right now for $2500 or less ;)

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
4/28/21 12:18 p.m.

All that is nice to know,  I know nothing past 1996. The great thing is those are getting cheap enough for even a tite wad like me to be curious.   Personally I'd be interested in the 6 cylinder to retro into an XJS.  
Do those wheels still have the Chevy bolt pattern?  4&3/4 x5 ? 

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/28/21 12:22 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

For a supercharged 6 cylinder (AJ16S), you'd be looking at the 95 - 97 X300 XJR.  The 98 - 03 X308 XJRs are all supercharged V8s (AJ-V8). 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/28/21 12:34 p.m.

and the 1998 did have the chevy bolt pattern wheels, though I'm not sure on backspace/offset. I think that changed when they went to aluminum bodies in 2004. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/28/21 12:36 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

There's a super clean example locally that "won't start" and I'm guessing it's the battery, since it was sitting garaged for a few years. This is good to know.

The one I had had 2 keys, that outwardly were identical. One starts the car and the other doesn't. Not sure if it was programmed incorrectly or if the battery in the key was dead or what. But it did throw me for a loop early on. 

yupididit
4/28/21 4:18 p.m.

Post pics of your keys. I have 2 or 3 keys they all start the car. 

yupididit
4/28/21 4:21 p.m.

I forgot to mention. These cars are quiet. Hardly a riot even with your foot all the way in it. But, sneaky like I said. 

The e55 AMG from the same era would get down and plow ahead while the e39 m5 was a bit more agile and sharp. The x308 does it in a subtle gentleman like fashion. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/28/21 4:32 p.m.
docwyte said:

An old english car.  That doesn't sound like a good match for an 18 year old who wants something reliable.

When I was 18 years old, I had an MGA.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
4/28/21 4:47 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

and the 1998 did have the chevy bolt pattern wheels, though I'm not sure on backspace/offset. I think that changed when they went to aluminum bodies in 2004. 

Thank you. There are so many Chevy wheels I'm sure I can find something with a workable backspacing. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
4/28/21 4:53 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
docwyte said:

When I was 18 years old, I had an MGA.

Newer ones got seriously improved under Fords ownership. But honestly a car that needs work is a wonderful way to learn about cars. 
   You can learn when your young and never feel out of control because you know how to fix things. Or always be at the mercy of a mechanic which leaves you feeling weak and frustrated. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/21 7:04 p.m.

In the X308, you got a ZF automatic in the non-supercharged, and a Mercedes automatic in the supercharged.  The X350, they all got ZF automatics regardless of what was under the hood.

To me, this instantly takes the X350 off the table, and I don't mean that I just don't prefer them, I mean I flat-out won't buy one.  Ever.  If it was given to me I would likely sell it for $50.  I ran transmission shops long enough to know that a ZF auto will be flawless right up until it isn't.  Once it goes, you will find plenty of shops that will attempt to rebuild it for $8000 and fail completely.  It will never be right.  They are the finnickiest, craziest, most cantankerous transmission I have ever seen in my life, and I have seen inside a Jatco.

The Mercedes trans is super beefy by comparison.  It will eventually fail, but at least when it does, nearly any shop can rebuild it for far less than the ZF.  Still pricey, but so much better.

X350 has more room, aluminum bodies that can't rust, and they are everywhere for cheap.  X308 has steel bodies, smaller cabins, and getting long in the tooth.... but I would much rather have a 308 for two main reasons:  1) Mercedes Trans in the supercharged version, and 2) They are kind of the last Jag that looks like a Jag.

4/28/21 7:07 p.m.

5 years ago, $4000 could have bought him a nice XJR with 100k on it.

Today, he'll be lucky to find the same thing for under $10k.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
4/28/21 7:56 p.m.

I gotta get out of here quick before I start thinking one of these is a good idea!

4/28/21 8:21 p.m.

I've been waiting for the right one to come along.  I have driven some but haven't owned one yet.

Watching the pricedemic makes me think I waited too long.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PZm5ivZZu0IhmU6oGCdDUvHxPkBgK7SIRHg5Z0azeOd3suyywDU6hFU6DkfBr7xa