CrashDummy
CrashDummy New Reader
12/15/13 7:54 a.m.

Like the title says I'm looking for a less smelly alternative to pb blaster. I soaked my rusty end link bolts in it yesterday and aside from it being unpleasant to continue working on the car because of the smell, my garage still stinks very badly today. Any advice?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/15/13 7:57 a.m.

Torq CB from Kimball Midwest, it smells like pineapple (shameless plug since I work there).

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/15/13 8:01 a.m.

Weasel Piss.

50/50 Acetone and ATF.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
12/15/13 9:13 a.m.

ZEP 2000. It doesn't smell like PB, and unlike PB, it works. I've used WD and PB for years and I've always had to soak fasteners for 24 hours or more (here in MI) to get any kind of result. With ZEP, I spray it on give it 10 minutes while I get coffee and come back and it's done its magic.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
12/15/13 9:16 a.m.

Kroil. Works better too.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/15/13 9:16 a.m.

I'm a big fan of CRC Freeze-Off. Not only does it work awesome, and they're a GRM sponsor, but it has a very sweet smell(it almost smells edible).

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
12/15/13 9:17 a.m.
oldopelguy wrote: Kroil. Works better too.

bingo

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
12/15/13 9:22 a.m.

If you are not looking for aerosol, any gun shop should have Break-Free, and it's pretty awesome too. It does smell though, but a better smell than PB.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
12/15/13 9:24 a.m.

PB isnt too bad, CRC Freeze Off, while I am dubious of the freezing claims, works great and smells great.

btabacchi
btabacchi New Reader
12/15/13 9:50 a.m.
EvanB wrote: Torq CB from Kimball Midwest, it smells like pineapple (shameless plug since I work there).

Double ditto here.

We use this stuff in all three shops. Works great!!! Smells good!!!

(plugging it because it works and I do not work for KM)

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
12/15/13 11:13 a.m.
petegossett wrote: I'm a big fan of CRC Freeze-Off. Not only does it work awesome, and they're a GRM sponsor, but it has a very sweet smell(it almost smells edible).

Even though I'm happy with ZEP, I've been meaning to buy Freeze-Off. It just makes sense that it'd work.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
12/15/13 12:31 p.m.
petegossett wrote: I'm a big fan of CRC Freeze-Off. Not only does it work awesome, and they're a GRM sponsor, but it has a very sweet smell(it almost smells edible).

I've had good luck with Freeze Off, but it doesn't smell edible to me. Smells like the bathroom cleaner from elementary school.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/15/13 12:47 p.m.

I've never had good luck with Freeze-Off. PB Blaster works much better in my experience.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/15/13 1:02 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Torq CB from Kimball Midwest, it smells like pineapple (shameless plug since I work there).

I was wrong, I was just using some and it smells more like cream soda. Still much better than PB blaster.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
12/15/13 1:05 p.m.

Kroil, Kroil, Kroil.

And HEAT.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
12/15/13 2:44 p.m.

Deep Creep freed up my Datsun engine and I don't remember it smelling bad. YMMV

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/15/13 3:04 p.m.

Wait, some people don't like the smell of PB Blaster?

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
12/15/13 6:30 p.m.

PB gives me migraines just what I don't need when wrenching. Kroil kicks ass. Zep 45 is a good one to just a zep version of Tri-flow.

I used to use Rust-off as it came in a trigger non aerosol can so it worked in all temps. It to gave me migraines but you used less then any other. Can't find it now.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/15/13 7:20 p.m.

if the smell of penetrating oil is too much for you, it's time for a new hobby.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
12/15/13 8:58 p.m.

I love the smell of PB blaster in the mornings!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/15/13 10:58 p.m.

I am a fan of GT85. Man, that E36 M3 smells great!

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
12/16/13 3:33 a.m.

Weasel Piss. The ultimate in DIY.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vM5kpNhIo73eE0RFMnJl5IPWLzNCNkZb4uhzaiQTxnQlmBm19FX2PEEWix0x9QJn