Leafy
Leafy Reader
1/6/14 3:36 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: Cobalt?

electric column.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger SuperDork
1/6/14 9:23 p.m.

Found an XT6 pump for ~75. Looks like the V50 pump can be had from 100-150.

The pump I installed constantly ran and had a screw in the relief circuit that adjusted overall pressure.

The sound seems exaggerated in this video. With the engine running you didn't notice it but when you turned off the car it made a cool beewwwww noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrHW7RXHHZY

The GM rack I am installing in the Falcon is designed for lower pressure than the Ford pump I have. If I have to buy another pump I might as well get something cool.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
1/6/14 9:53 p.m.

Bah, with the engine mounted behind the seats in Midlana, I can steer with one finger!

Leafy
Leafy Reader
1/6/14 10:00 p.m.

Holy crap. There's no way that pump was that loud in the OEM under any circumstance.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger SuperDork
1/6/14 10:09 p.m.
kb58 wrote: Bah, with the engine mounted behind the seats in Midlana, I can steer with one finger!

I want to see you try that in my car. Really. You can even have a month to work that finger out to prepare.

This car has the heaviest most wooden and not at all communicative steering I have ever felt. 6 turns lock to lock and every rotation threatens to pull your rotator cuff. I really sympathized with the classic motorsports shelby article when they said the steering was so bad they wanted to sell the car.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger SuperDork
1/6/14 10:10 p.m.
Leafy wrote: Holy crap. There's no way that pump was that loud in the OEM under any circumstance.

Guessing he omitted the rubber isolators and mounted it hard to the sheet metal

Burrito Enthusiast
Burrito Enthusiast Reader
1/6/14 10:20 p.m.

The XT6 pump is what all the Edge guys run in their AutoX cars, Trent. They all swear by it.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger SuperDork
1/6/14 10:34 p.m.

I thought they ran MR2 pumps

slow_poke
slow_poke New Reader
10/31/14 9:35 a.m.

I recently installed electric power steering in a 1966 Mustang. I did not use a kit, I simply pulled a column style EPS from a newer GM vehicle and then spliced the unit into the original steering column.

The results far exceeded my expectations and the cost was less than $200. I designed a controller that automatically adjusts assist level based on vehicle speed, so that the steering feel is "just right" regardless of speed.

I documented (with pictures) how I went about this on a Vintage Mustang forum. If anyone is interested do a google search for "Best $200 mod ever (EPS)" or follow this link to page 7 where the details start: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/787114-best-200-mod-ever-eps-7.html#post6037649

Any questions just ask.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
33HFEOaXI3DCMejfFlkTmnkZ870kdlBzDaYUic0xaOds0Q4LtaI1TCT1s9NalUNh