1 2 3 4 5
dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
10/21/17 9:09 p.m.

Really enjoyed the live coverage, was the high point of this week. That white rampage is clean! Was really hoping to see the white datsun run a 10! 

GSmith
GSmith HalfDork
10/21/17 9:28 p.m.

I saw the build book on the 300c. Impressive find.

yeah, it's legit. Police auction, and see the earlier note about it.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
10/21/17 10:07 p.m.

Pat, Congratulations on the Top Three finish!

Well done!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/21/17 10:17 p.m.
sleepyhead said:
Stefan said:

In reply to mndsm :

It, um, was used for nefarious things and was bought via police impound auction.

they dropped 550lbs out of it and in the process they found signs of its past life.

seems to be a growing theme in late-model challenge acquisition

That makes total sense. I know that any of them that haven't been seized are worth more than that here, regardless of age 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/17 12:35 a.m.
dropstep said:

Really enjoyed the live coverage, was the high point of this week. That white rampage is clean! Was really hoping to see the white datsun run a 10! 

Suspect burned valve, was popping out intake on deceleration.  Best et was 12.01@114.  Typically the car traps at 122.5-123.  It's an ungodly high mile engine that I've run gobs of nitrous through.  Datsun is retired from challenge duty and will get proper medical attention starting with compression and leakdown tests, followed most likely by heads/cam if a valve is the culprit.  

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
10/22/17 4:58 a.m.

Congratulations on everybody that ran and even just showed up!

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
10/22/17 5:10 a.m.
Patrick said:
dropstep said:

Suspect burned valve, was popping out intake on deceleration.  Best et was 12.01@114.  Typically the car traps at 122.5-123.  It's an ungodly high mile engine that I've run gobs of nitrous through.  Datsun is retired from challenge duty and will get proper medical attention starting with compression and leakdown tests, followed most likely by heads/cam if a valve is the culprit.  

Just from your old build thread and interview i knew it was your goal. I understand how violent nitrous is, let alone on an engine with that mileage. I always pick a favorite for anything i watch. Your datsun was my choice this year.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/22/17 8:07 a.m.
Patrick said:
dropstep said:

Your comments during the autocross about the engine was pretty funny.  Very used engine, "Was it rebuilt?"- "well, since it has different head castings from side to side, I assume so.  But it will take a nitrous shot all day long...."  

If there ever was a sound quite that should be in the magazine, that's one of them.  Classic.  

Sorry to hear that it was having problems.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/22/17 8:13 a.m.

Man, looking at those scores....  Maybe I need to send an email to my friend in Ohio.

Except it would largely be a repeat of what we did before.  Just a little more of it.   Almost DM or EM car.

Patrick
10/22/17 9:28 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

This year's goal was top 5, I'm thrilled with the swan song of the Datsun.  FYI i went back through my first run(after track was oiled and i had to back out and pedal it) and know when i hurt it.  It's all good.  3rd overall/3rd dynamic is what this car was built for.  It did everything at a high level, now i can put real(ls6) heads on it and go for my 10 second pass locally.  

Next year we bring the nuclear warhead 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/17 11:47 a.m.

The on line broadcasts were great!!!!  Thanks so much to all of you that made that happen.  I now have a much better understanding of the event and now more than ever want to come down.  In short it has made the bucket list!!!  

coexist
coexist Reader
10/22/17 12:15 p.m.

For the record:

70's Zcar  > Miata. 

Twice

Patrick
10/22/17 2:23 p.m.
coexist said:

For the record:

70's Zcar  > Miata. 

Twice

Well actually, 5 times in the autocross, but I'm not counting wink

i know what my answer is, miata is not it.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/22/17 2:30 p.m.

Miata is the easy button to do well in the autocross, not that easy to make win the overall.

KGMonteith
KGMonteith
10/22/17 3:10 p.m.

It'll be interesting to see what shows up next year, with all of the flood cars from Irma and Harvey hitting CoPart auctions.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/22/17 5:16 p.m.
MrJoshua said:

Miata is the easy button to do well in the autocross, not that easy to make win the overall.

The real question is how willing one is to tear a car apart.  The more you take it apart, the faster it will be.  Or the more you make it a DM or EM car, the more likely you will win.  

But that really tears a car up.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/22/17 6:12 p.m.
alfadriver said:
MrJoshua said:

The real question is how willing one is to tear a car apart.  The more you take it apart, the faster it will be.  Or the more you make it a DM or EM car, the more likely you will win.  

But that really tears a car up.

I have some thoughts about that after looking at most of the builds. The majority of the fast cars are way down the rabbit hold of mod cars or even more,

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/17 7:24 p.m.
Patrick said:Next year we bring the nuclear warhead 

Trying and failing to find a screenshot of Nik Blackhurst grinning after saying something silly.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/22/17 7:28 p.m.
Patrick said:
mndsm said:

I'd like to know just how ratty a 2005 300c is to make budget. 

Salvage title, drug paraphernalia, sketchy repairs.

Can you sell any crack you find and apply that to the budget?

(of course I'm not serious)

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
10/22/17 8:33 p.m.

Can anyone tell me where in the live brodcasts on friday for the autocross the Subby wagon was sighted on screen i hope? 

Also did it show up for the two passes late in the night after fixing a flat tire in the drags? I know it was after the black missles 2nd pass.

And did anyone catch my interveiw with JG about my car and point to the video and times please.

I had a blast this weekend even though I had the worst car for the car show and over all. But it did get the longest drive award and its the 2nd times she has been to the dance.

Congrats to everyone on winning and thanks to the staff for putting on a great event and I did go over and thanked the staff at the track on sat afternoon for hosting us. They love putting this on also.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
10/23/17 7:39 a.m.

In reply to ckosacranoid :

All things considered, the Scooby doo had a couple Issues, No clutch release  resulting in Push Starting, an issue with steering  resulting in a 5 MPH scrap with the Wall, some braking snafu's,  But no Flat tires Thankfully. Imagine what next year may be, with a 4 second 60 ft. it went 16.5 ish at 87 MPH.  they will get the Handle down pat so the 40's auto cross time should drop also.   Saulgood racing, Joe and Jamie, Rock on!

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/23/17 11:18 a.m.

Great times out there! I'm still sort of recovering and getting my pics together to post about my $2017 experience. Thanks to all! 

SaulGoode
SaulGoode New Reader
10/23/17 11:44 a.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

Thank you for the kind words.  Don't forget about our awesome fuel pressure regulator (a highly calibrated hose clamp on the return line).  We have a year to get everything worked out.  We knew it would be quick, but just had to guess, as we did not get it to pull under its own power until it was on its way to tech.  Thank you very much for your help in the pits.  A special thank you goes out as well to Bruce Howard, Jonny Pruitt, Leslie Burchett, Stan Dorsey, Kurt Hennard, Justin Bragan, John Hoopes, Jamey Whitt, and Shelly Whitt.  Without all of you, this would not have happened.  The help provided in the pits was fantastic, and the constant berating on our group chat was encouragement to get it done.  

A very special thank you goes out to Andrew Nelson.  What a classy guy.  The entire reason for our build was that I threw the gauntlet down to him at last years challenge.  He brought his "A" game, and we brought our "C" game.  But even after all of the trash that was talked, Andrew still took time to answer my questions and offer encouragement throughout this past year.  My hat is off to you, Sir.

Next year is a big year.  The BIG 2-0!!  Everybody bring something cool.  It is going to be an EPIC year!!!

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
10/23/17 3:28 p.m.

I'm pretty sure I saw 1970's Farrah Fawcett in the hotel lobby. Anyone else?

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
10/23/17 4:56 p.m.

yes, that was her. Lol

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hKwKWGr6dVxzUXBVbs51gkl5WZdVFYbY8sTiDyNsviAJWu4xip5z7f1stcUebKUc