Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/4/24 1:26 p.m.
feature_image

No, you don’t need to call anyone, Land Rover hasn’t embodied the spirit of Vigo the Carpathian into this Defender 90.

Instead, the Carpathian Edition is in reference to the mountain range of the same name that extends through parts of Central and Southeast Europe.

Exclusive to the V8-powered Defenders, the Carpathian Edition features a unique exterior shade of Carpathian Grey …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
10/4/24 1:28 p.m.

Alternatively, I won't blame you if you think it's named after the RMS Carpathia.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/4/24 1:43 p.m.

Need to cross the Serengeti? Dive deep into the uncharted wilds of the West? Simply climb a gnarly slope?

Then this could be your huckleberry.

Highway driving and the usual daily grind in suburbia? Not so much.

The Land Rover Defender simply falls out of its element on the interstate. It wanders, it weaves. The short wheelbase and knobby tires don’t do it much favors there. Fuel economy in the teens. 

Oddly, not as much wind noise as expected.

Yes, the back seat is that difficult to access. And the rear storage is comically small. The things we do for fashion–and, for the hardcore, perhaps to tackle serious approaches.

So, who’s this for? The select few willing and able to take a six-figure vehicle off the road or those who desire the latest fashion accessory.

David S. Wallens
10/4/24 1:43 p.m.

Perhaps JG put it best: So, um, when are they delivering the rest of it?

David S. Wallens
10/4/24 1:44 p.m.

How small is the way back?

About this small:

It does get a cover, though:

David S. Wallens
10/4/24 1:45 p.m.

The trunk mat is beefy. Heavy. It has a liner or sorts, too.

David S. Wallens
10/4/24 1:47 p.m.

Oh yeah, center console chiller. So the Defender is rough and tumble but has a softer side, too. 

David S. Wallens
10/4/24 1:51 p.m.

Plenty of power. No lag. No waiting. 

The transmission offers crisp shifts in drive.

Solid brake pedal.

It’s all just matched with that short wheelbase and rather tall ride. Perfect for canyons, not bad around town, a little tiring on the highway. Let your (real) usage and checkbook be your guide. I guess you can say it’s like the off-road version of a Z06 or GT3 Porsche in that it’s not for everyone but aimed at a very targeted market. 

Colin Wood
10/4/24 1:57 p.m.

I imagine the Defender 110 would be easier to live with, assuming you need more than a driver and passenger seat.

Of course, there's also the even-longer Defender 130.

Puddy46
Puddy46 HalfDork
10/4/24 2:42 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Need to cross the Serengeti? Dive deep into the uncharted wilds of the West? Simply climb a gnarly slope?

The Land Rover Defender simply falls out of its element on the interstate. It wanders, it weaves. The short wheelbase and knobby tires don’t do it much favors there. Fuel economy in the teens. 

So basically a Wrangler in a three piece suit.  

David S. Wallens
10/4/24 3:06 p.m.
Puddy46 said:
David S. Wallens said:

So basically a Wrangler in a three piece suit.  

Yeah. And one of those fancy suits. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/4/24 3:32 p.m.

So a 392 Wrangler Rubi dressed for prom. Copy. 

Sounds exactly like the driving experience of my old 2 door Rubicon. Road....ehhh It would get you there. Trail. Not oven a second thought. 

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/4/24 4:29 p.m.

When they first came out a wealthy doctor friend promptly traded in his Range Rover autobiography on one. He was still a weedy little fellow who only wore dress clothes and lived in a condo but I guess there was some psychological benefit to him that offset the agricultural intention of the thing.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/24 4:43 p.m.

Sounds like the GRM folks would prefer the 110. This is the trail version and you're driving it to the mall :)

Short wheelbase land rovers have never been practical for hauling stuff. They're made to be mountain goats, although my 88" Station Wagon does have 7 seats. That's 7 seats for 1960's working folks, not 2020's commuters.

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/4/24 5:30 p.m.

I dig it! As a single guy, I am always a bit frustrated that many vehicles only come in a big size/long wheelbase, and then I'm saddled with extra doors, seats, length, weight, and turning radius that I don't need, plus reduced breakover angle...not to mention taking up more space in the garage. blush

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H8eXF5BNvLXIyKHenhzopehREmargWcb2jZS0fCKqn6abyPoCpGqABbScUW5R5a0