1 2
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/26/24 12:08 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I picked up the MX-5 yesterday, so impressions to come soon.

Did the MX-5’s interior always squeak this much or is it just me? 

Easy fix.  Just throw a loud exhaust on it.  ;)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/26/24 2:58 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

I like that. :) 

David S. Wallens
6/26/24 10:37 p.m.

I take back what I said about the interior rattle. None tonight. Maybe sitting in the Florida summer sun caused something to expand by a fraction of a millimeter. 

When Mazda first released the ND, we didn’t have a formal press launch. Instead, Dean Case and I flew up to South Bend, Indiana, for a day of testing with our friends from Tire Rack.

Then Dean and I headed south to Florida. 

We hit Tail of the Dragon, saw my parents, and spent a night in Athens, my old stomping grounds. We arrived in time to meet up some locals here in Daytona. The car was perfect in the twisties, perfect for the long drive. It felt much more like an NA or NB than the NC. The Miata had again become tidy. 

When the ND2 came out, I snuck in a dyno session while on the press intro. More revs are good, right? Again, the MX-5 felt perfect. Plenty of power, a willing chassis and that perfect balance. 

Due to some travel, I didn’t get a ton of time in the ND3 MX-5 until tonight. It’s just as good as I remember–just like old times. 

How good? It’s one of the few new cars I’d buy. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/27/24 10:40 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I gotta say i was really impressed as well. I've not always been a real Miata guy. I completely understand the appeal, it's just never connected with me the way something like a BRZ/FRS has. But this NC3 just WORKS and suddenly I totally get it. I think the seats are a huge part of the equation, but everything feels better. The steering is as good as any Miata I've ever driven, and the brakes are top-notch. I was honestly a bit surprised at the track time as well (in a good way).

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
6/27/24 11:01 a.m.

So I just took the car out to shoot a few photos and even though I only drove it around the block it reminded me how much I like the ND. I dont think I could own one as my only car but I do really like how it feels and how much visibility you have from the drivers seat, especially with the top down. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/27/24 11:18 a.m.

In reply to Chris Tropea :

That's why they make Miata trailers. wink

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/24 11:27 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
David S. Wallens said:

I gotta say i was really impressed as well. I've not always been a real Miata guy. I completely understand the appeal, it's just never connected with me the way something like a BRZ/FRS has. But this NC3 just WORKS and suddenly I totally get it. I think the seats are a huge part of the equation, but everything feels better. The steering is as good as any Miata I've ever driven, and the brakes are top-notch. I was honestly a bit surprised at the track time as well (in a good way).

The steering quality is dependent on the alignment, and Mazda did tweak the rack in 2017 (RF)/2018 (soft top) for more on-center precision. I'd love to hear some proper reports on how the new rack feels compared to the ND2.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
6/27/24 11:40 a.m.
David S. Wallens 

You guys get to drive a lot of cars; what else is on that list? 

David S. Wallens
6/27/24 11:44 a.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

I admit, the list hasn’t changed much over the years: Miata, BRZ/86, Civic Si. 

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
6/27/24 11:56 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I would like to add Civic Type R to the list. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/27/24 1:06 p.m.
CrashDummy said:
David S. Wallens 

You guys get to drive a lot of cars; what else is on that list? 

I've bought four cars that originally showed up as press loaners and coaxed me into a dealership.

Chevy Volt

RAM Promaster City

Mazdaspeed3

Hyundai Ioniq 5

All seemed to be exceptional value equations and something I could actually see myself making payments on (or talking my wife into making payments on, in the case of the I5). As for what else is on that list, it's probably pretty close to David's. BRZ/FRS and Civic Si are probably there. I'd definitely put the Elantra N maybe at the top of the list currently. That car just does it for me and I'd love to toss one around that has some camber and a good set of pads on it.

I'm also really digging the F32 435 project and may end up adding it to my personal fleet once its official project tenure ends. I understand that my love for that car is directly proportional to how many friends I have that run BMW shops, but I still like it a lot for the current street value.

David S. Wallens
6/27/24 3:12 p.m.

For the record, I also bought a former press car: our current Civic Si sedan. :)

I also tried to buy the Integra Type R that we drove back in the day, but I was told that it was here on a bond and needed to go back home. We filled that desire with our 2000 Civic Si. 

David S. Wallens
6/27/24 3:12 p.m.

Also related to press cars influencing buying decisions: After Dean and I visited my parents with the brand-new ND Miata, they traded in their NC for one. 

David S. Wallens
7/2/24 7:58 a.m.

I saw a red ND the other day, just like our test car.

I know the ND design is no longer new, but it still turns my head. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/2/24 9:21 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

My 2021 still makes me smile when I head out to the garage :)

David S. Wallens
7/2/24 9:25 a.m.
WonkoTheSane said:
David S. Wallens said:

I can totally see that as well. :) 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/2/24 9:31 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:
WonkoTheSane said:
David S. Wallens said:

Also, I still smile when I walk up and see my student for the track day is in an ND :)   

Of course, I still smile when I walk up and see my student for a track day..   Respect for anyone who comes out to play, of course, but a ND always makes it a BIT more fun :)  

Snrub
Snrub Dork
7/2/24 10:26 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Agreed, I think the exterior design has aged very well. It's 9 years old now!

David S. Wallens
7/2/24 10:59 a.m.

In reply to Snrub :

Crazy that the ND is now that old, right? 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/2/24 11:13 a.m.
WonkoTheSane said:
David S. Wallens said:
WonkoTheSane said:
David S. Wallens said:

Also, I still smile when I walk up and see my student for the track day is in an ND :)   

Of course, I still smile when I walk up and see my student for a track day..   Respect for anyone who comes out to play, of course, but a ND always makes it a BIT more fun :)  

I don't have a Miata, I just like to smile. :)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dY8d3uTfnvaOwS9nC0DHtitEU0YZM8Ublc6r9nsriki6s7BdRL2oYIBjR81vXQLz