Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/13/24 12:55 p.m.
feature_image

Will most buyers of a Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 know that the engine under the hood was built by hand? Likely not, but that's not going to stop us from enjoying the 2024 Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 we've been given to review.

Instead of a large biturbo V6 or V8 previously found in AMG models, the GLC 43 makes do with a turbocharged, 2.0-liter inline-four rated …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
6/13/24 1:00 p.m.

So, if you had the scratch, this, or something for Porsche, BMW or Audi?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/13/24 1:08 p.m.

Yes, “just” a four under the hood. Did I notice when driving around town? It’s still quick. It’s not the fastest SUV, but it’s still quick for most needs. 

The big thing I miss, though: the tactile switches found used by Mercedes-Benz up until recently. The old roller knob for the radio, for example, was a thing of beauty, perfectly machined from aluminum and delivering the most satisfying click as it passed each detent. I’d change the volume just because it felt so satisfying. 

Now we get a slider touch-pad thing. Our 10-year-old Civic has something very similar. The experience and interaction–what makes a Rolex feel so special, for example–has been removed. 

David S. Wallens
6/13/24 1:16 p.m.

Other switches have been given similar treatment. 

David S. Wallens
6/13/24 1:17 p.m.

But not all of the switches have been changed.

David S. Wallens
6/13/24 1:17 p.m.

What I’m lamenting: Something that made a Benz feel so special has been removed. 

And that gives me the sads. 

David S. Wallens
6/13/24 1:18 p.m.

The front seats also feel narrow. I get that this is a smaller SUV, but it just feels small. Like, here’s my leg up against the center console. I have to do that with my Miata, but it’s a Miata. 

David S. Wallens
6/13/24 1:21 p.m.

Giant screen, too. Personally, I prefer the more integrated setups–see Hyundai and BMW i4.

David S. Wallens
6/13/24 1:58 p.m.

Back seat offers plenty of room for me, though. This is me sitting behind me. (I’m about 5-foot-7.)

I could spend all day back here. (Assuming the a/c was turned on because it’s hot today.)

David S. Wallens
6/13/24 2:00 p.m.

Check out the headrests:

David S. Wallens
6/13/24 2:01 p.m.

My favorite thing of the car–and some possible meme fodder:

Colin Wood
6/13/24 2:25 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Oh yeah, I'm saving those for later.

David S. Wallens
6/13/24 2:27 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I’ll send you the originals. I took a bunch for you. :) 

David S. Wallens
6/13/24 2:30 p.m.

Driving it. It’s quick, it’s comfortable, it’s quiet. The back seat offers plenty of room. It does all the usual Benz things. I just wish the GLC 43 offered a bit more room up front–those footwells just feel narrow–and delivered a few more of the touches that make a Benz a Benz. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
6/13/24 3:13 p.m.

I spent a few days driving the GLC and came away with mixed feelings. It looks cool and it's quick enough (but not fast), and the noises it makes are simply fantastic. Sticky tires mean it handles fairly well, too, without being overly punishing on the street. 

But the infotainment and insane number of capacitive "buttons" instead of real controls killed the car for me. It's like Mercedes looked at VW's Mk8 GTI and said "Hold my beer." Even adjusting the cruise control speed requires looking down at the wheel and gently tickling it. And opening the sunroof's shade required a motion that I'd have to blur if we posted a video.

Colin Wood
6/13/24 5:35 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

"Gently tickling" is pretty much at the top of my list of things I don't want to do to a car.

merkurallan
merkurallan GRM+ Memberand None
6/13/24 6:05 p.m.

I have a 2017 GLA45, I love the sport seats, power, handling, and brakes. The trans not as much. It only has 385HP, Which is plenty. They are in the low $20k's. Did I mention they are crazy fun to drive ?

David S. Wallens
6/14/24 9:51 a.m.

It is a cool combo: a fast, smallish, premium SUV. I’d just like a bit more Mercedes back in the mix of the current one. Also, open up the legroom a bit. 

Colin Wood
6/14/24 10:17 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Giant screen, too. Personally, I prefer the more integrated setups–see Hyundai and BMW i4.

Just wanted to interject and point out how it's kind of crazy to be comparing a Mercedes-AMG to a Hyundai. 

Hyundai has really come a long way from the '80s and '90s–from what I've been told, at least.

Maxdriver
Maxdriver GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/14/24 5:17 p.m.

In reply to merkurallan :

I had a 2018. The car was a hoot. I was not a fan of the seats, as they were just too firm for me. I was fine with the tranny and had fun with the paddles. We ended up selling it and getting a Macan S as the car was too hardcore for my wife.😀

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
6/14/24 5:44 p.m.

Interesting wheels. I feel like those in a Subaru bronze with that blue paint would look pretty darn good.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/14/24 6:01 p.m.

My buddy who is an Benz mechanic states that everyone should avoid the AMG hybrid assist Mercedes. Honestly any of the hybrid assist Mercedes. He basically spends his entire day replacing those engines. 

And Mercedes threw out the v6 biturbo and v8 biturbo engines for the 4cyl hybrid assist engines for all of their 43 and 63 AMG's. I don't know what they were thinking going to 4cyl and a very unreliable hybrid assist. I read somewhere that they're going back to the bigger v engines because no one is buying the 4cyl AMG vehicles. 

wae
wae UltimaDork
6/14/24 6:02 p.m.

I can second the lamentations about the loss of the roller.  Those capacitive sliders are hot garbage.

David S. Wallens
6/14/24 6:03 p.m.
wae said:

I can second the lamentations about the loss of the roller.  Those capacitive sliders are hot garbage.

Glad to hear it’s not only me. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2TdrHxfer7zU57k4UQ6lkaPUZqxU8L3mqqRyTjpE09VqEhJ8bqXApwzpPRoyRY3z