1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/5/24 4:56 p.m.
feature_image

A brand-new small car for less than $20K with an honest-to-goodness manual transmission in the year of our Lord 2024?

You better believe it.

For just $16,680, Nissan will sell you a bare-bones “S” trim of its Versa with a five-speed manual gearbox, the only version of the Versa–and the only Nissan that’s not a Z–to be available to buy with a …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
8/5/24 5:00 p.m.

For those curious (even if that's just me), here's a chart from Nissan comparing the gear ratios of the 5-speed gearbox and the CVT:

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/5/24 5:54 p.m.

How defeatable is the everything? 

I can't be the only one thinking that it's a Gridlife Sundae cup car available brand new?  The internet says 2600-2700lbs, 122hp puts you in the range.  Looks like 4 lug so *probably* 4x100?  

Will 15s clear the front brakes?  For science?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/5/24 6:03 p.m.

First impression: pretty cool looks, but does the steering wheel need to be hard plastic? Just that one change could totally transform the feel of this one. So, first impression? Cheap. 

More to come. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/24 7:35 p.m.

Well, it IS a $17k car in 2024.

We have three new Versas as loaners at work.  They're surprisingly nice compared to what I was expecting from a Versa.

David S. Wallens
8/5/24 7:39 p.m.

True, the Versa starts at $17k. Ours stickers at $20k and, with options, comes in at $22k.

It just reminds me of my first encounter with a Dodge Neon, so we’re talking 1994. I wonder how much more it would cost to spec out a nicer steering wheel? 

I think the things that you touch–steering wheel, knobs, switches, etc.–should deliver a reassuring feel. 

I am bummed that this one doesn’t have a stick. Getting one of those has been discussed with a friend at Nissan. :) 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/5/24 9:23 p.m.

I had one of these as a rental car a while back. I was shocked at how bad it was from a finish perspective. And I drive a 2014 note on the daily. Like I don't mind if a car is cheap as berkeley, but don't lie to me. 

David S. Wallens
8/5/24 10:00 p.m.

I’ll be putting some miles on it tomorrow. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
8/5/24 10:31 p.m.

That base $16,xxx version? No key fob, unlock the door with an actual key in the lock, start the car with a key into the ignition.  

Just like it's 1985. AND it's a 5-speed manual.  None of that high society 6-speed stuff.  Funnier if it had a 4-speed.

David S. Wallens
8/5/24 10:40 p.m.

My bad, our tester has the leather-wrapped wheel. But it’s a hard leather that nearly feels like plastic. 

David S. Wallens
8/5/24 10:41 p.m.
Datsun240ZGuy said:

That base $16,xxx version? No key fob, unlock the door with an actual key in the lock, start the car with a key into the ignition.  

Just like it's 1985. AND it's a 5-speed manual.  None of that high society 6-speed stuff.  Funnier if it had a 4-speed.

Unlike 1985, though, all Versas get three (3) USB ports. :)

David S. Wallens
8/5/24 10:50 p.m.

There’s a five-speed Versa headed our way. 

nocones
8/5/24 10:54 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Like forever?  Please..  tire swap and Firm Laps.  

David S. Wallens
8/5/24 10:57 p.m.

I just meant heading our way for sale. 

David S. Wallens
8/5/24 11:00 p.m.

(Like, we’re not buying it–just noting that they’re out there in the wild.)

nocones
8/5/24 11:07 p.m.

Excuse me, I would like to take an extended test drive for the weekend .. 

It's funny I'm sure it's horrible, and I'm not actually interested but I just want there to be some redeeming quality in the cheapest stick shift car in America.   Like I just hope that it somehow is remotely entertaining in a mid 90s economy stick shift sort of way.  

David S. Wallens
8/6/24 12:19 a.m.

I also wish our tester had the stick. Sadly, though, it has the CVT. 

Colin Wood
8/6/24 9:19 a.m.
nocones said:

I'm sure it's horrible, and I'm not actually interested but I just want there to be some redeeming quality.

This sums up my interest in about 90% of the cars I like.

I also feel like there's got to be a way I can get something similar on my grave stone.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
8/6/24 9:52 a.m.

My local Nissan dealer shows one Versa in stock and it's a manual.........maybe I might go waste a salesman's time.....

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/6/24 10:00 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I also wish our tester had the stick. Sadly, though, it has the CVT. 

Nissan CVT. The most hateful transmission I've ever encountered. ALMOST. The automatic in the r56 non-S mini Cooper I drove once was somehow worse. 

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
8/6/24 10:26 a.m.

A few questions: Is this available in hatchback? When I think of Versa I think of a hatch for some reason. 

Is this the last sun compact sold in the US? Fiesta is gone, Mazda 2 is gone, Fit is gone. Maybe the Rio is still around? I dunno. 

Last, why do modern small cars ride so high? That thing looks like it's 2 inches to high. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/6/24 11:15 a.m.
CyberEric said:

Last, why do modern small cars ride so high? That thing looks like it's 2 inches to high. 

It's only 1.1" taller than my 2003 MINI Cooper S. Looks like it's on tip-toes though. A set of springs can fix that.

rothwem
rothwem Reader
8/6/24 11:22 a.m.

I had one of these as a rental last fall, I was blown away by how...not terrible it was.  Its so ugly, you expect it to be awful but it did rental car things really well.  It was pretty loud on the highway, but that might've been related to the Sailun tires on there.  The CVT was fairly hateful around town (mooooooooo), but it did great on the highway at 80+ mph and the motor was decently torquey.  The seats were unexpectedly great, the ride/handling balance was tuned towards comfort, but it would take a set on an exit ramp pretty well. It would slam into the driveway curb of the hotel I was staying in with grace unbecoming a 17k car.  

This rental also was in the Detroit area and had 40k miles on it, and it still felt pretty tight, which is a hell of a thing for a rental car.  

I'd seriously consider one with a manual if it wasn't so damn ugly, I was genuinely impressed with the car, especially its highway manners.  It felt like a bigger car than it was on the highway, I wouldn't hate to drive a few hundred miles in it.  

oh and here are some pics of the one I had, check out this dope carbon fiber trim:

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
8/6/24 11:32 a.m.

The 17x8 wheels and Continental ECS tires from my ND-RF would bolt on that. "Borrow" the one at the dealer for the afternoon and go do the old "Car & Driver" test loop NW of town..........I have too much time on my hands..laugh

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/6/24 11:34 a.m.

My student last week at Palmer had a Chevy Malibu rental from Avis (I think?)...  It was surprisingly capable.  I'd love to see how something like this compared, especially with a manual!

JG - Get that thing on a track, stat!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5EwCOssFBadJFg0Ww3p4WTbQUu99m2GoTf6JpHgKyywHl4UaOfluV5CdfdKlFezo