Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/1/24 9:44 a.m.
feature_image

For a split second, we thought the Range Rover we’ve been given to drive and review for a week was called “Velour” and not “Velar”–but maybe that was sort of the point?

Land Rover says its Range Rover Velar offers “levels of luxury, refinement and all-terrain capability never before seen in the mid-size SUV segment.” So, maybe, mistaking the Velar’s …

Read the rest of the story

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/1/24 9:51 a.m.

I didn't drive this thing very far, but I drove it far enough to like it a LOT more than the Evoque we had a few weeks ago. Yeah it still has the goofy screen that forces you to go multiple levels deep for basic controls, but the driving exerience itself is orders of magnitude better. The Evoque felt like a cheap rental car wrapped in a handsome shell, but this feels like a premium piece of machinery. Seating position and steering are well laid out, and the driveline lash and imprecision that plagued the Evoque is replaced with a far more sophisticated feeling interaction.

Still a weird car, though. Not really sure who it's for, which clearly means "not me."

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/1/24 12:17 p.m.

Is this the most traditional vehicle in the current Range Rover lineup? And I don’t mean that it’s traditional in the traditional sense. I mean that it’s traditional in that it’s closer to a normal SUV by today’s yardstick. 

Like JG mentioned, the driving dynamics aren’t fussy. The controls make sense. You seem to do less hunting for things in this one. 

I still wish that not everything was accessed through the screen, although the radio control on the steering wheel helps.

More to come. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/3/24 9:12 p.m.

Orlando and back in the Range Rover last night, so an hour each way.

Quiet and comfortable on the highway although, at one point, I swore that hood was opening! Really?! Here on I-4, my favorite road?

I got off the highway. The hood was latched securely but, dang, it was flexing a bit. 

Other than that excitement, yeah, a good highway cruiser. Power when you need it, good visibility, comfortable seats, communicative steering, meaty steering wheel.

Easy to park and good in town, too. Didn’t feel too big.  

Even though everything–and, like everything–is done through the center screen–heat, a/c, audio, driving modes–I can’t recall Apple CarPlay setting up so quickly in another car. It was intuitive to set up. (Can’t say the same about the 530i currently sitting in my driveway.)

We’ve had a few Ranger Rovers pass through lately, and I admit they tend to be an acquired taste: odd controls, way smaller interiors than you’d expect, etc. This was, by the far, the most normal one. Not sure if that’s damned by faint praise or not, but that’s what I keep coming back to. If I had to live with a Range Rover, it would be this one. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ef72LpCGLyjUbABHVJ2u2M3PfMM90vZM8JtJBaaVn5oChJTf1nE2LWmmRGk2kfw2