1 ... 3 4 5 6
J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
12/25/23 2:50 p.m.

Cadillacs of that vintage were at one time a popular choice for oval-track racers at  the track I grew up at. It seems like GM did leave a bit on the table with them.

However, with this project the goal is to keep it stock appearing as much as possible. I'll save the fun performance stuff for another project.

Tomorrow, since everyone is back open after the holiday, we'll get the car out of the tight garage, and see where the coolant came out of. I'm suspecting it's not a major issue - it might be a bonus as we needed to flush the fluids anyway.

The goals of this week's journey is to - fix whatever caused the coolant to spill out, pass inspection (including repairing a non-functional horn), flush fluids, and address a suspected bent wheel.

The first step is making sure the car's mechanically sound. For the most part, it seems like it is. After that, it'll be cosmetics - which there's plenty to work on as 10-plus years of sitting took a toll. Stay tuned.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/25/23 6:55 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:
A 401 CJ said:

I think there are some tricks to making a 472/500 wake up.  I mean REALLY wake up.  This is actually one of the better V8's of the era but most were neutered pretty good.

Do you *want* to wake them up though? Make a bunch more power to blow the 70 profile tires off the front of a land yacht? I'd just save that money for plenty of gasoline and the roulette table on a Vegas trip. smiley

Dude, I'd be trying to wake up a Chiron if I could afford one 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/23 9:53 p.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

Check the horn relay first.  Notorious for failures.

That is, of course, after checking the fuse.

Third, corrosion on the horn contacts.  GM used a zinc galvanizing stuff on them that likes to turn into white powder.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/23 10:19 p.m.

There's a lot you can do for tuning and it keep it stock looking.  If it's still got the thermal vacuum ports hooked up at the driver's head front bypass that and take manifold vacuum directly to the distributor.  Next step is to advance the distributor as much as it can take.  I'd run 93 on the early high compression engines and back off if it dieseled on shut down.  You may be able to get away with more on a later low compression engine.  If you really want to get special you can hog out the divider on the factory intake.  Can't be seen on the outside.

J.A. Ackley
12/26/23 9:06 a.m.

I believe we have confirmation of the issue. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise PowerDork
12/26/23 11:25 a.m.

nice to see another land yatch caddy vert on the forum

J.A. Ackley
12/28/23 12:24 p.m.

Freeze plug replaced. Fluids flushed and changed. Car is running well.

I forgot the car had rear air shocks, so added some air to them. It's more level now.

Went around removing any loose or fragile filler panels.

J.A. Ackley
12/28/23 12:31 p.m.

The wife chipped in to help, too. Not only did she clean up the coolant spill, but also conditioned some of the leather, while the car is out. 

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/28/23 12:54 p.m.

Dang, that's like wiping down 4 whole cows.

J.A. Ackley
3/25/24 11:48 a.m.

I'm back. It's a beautiful day in the 40s - perfect convertible weather, right?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
3/25/24 11:51 a.m.

That garage didn't get any bigger, did it?

J.A. Ackley
3/25/24 11:52 a.m.

Rut-roh. What's this?

J.A. Ackley
3/25/24 12:15 p.m.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
3/25/24 1:31 p.m.

Rear main?

J.A. Ackley
3/25/24 2:34 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Not sure. Hard to tell. It's a tight garage and I sure need to start taking up yoga and exercise.

Here's a photo of the fluid on my shop towel. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
3/25/24 3:03 p.m.

Based on the pattern of fluid on the oil pan, it looks like the rear main seal. That being said, I've seen many valve cover and intake manifold gasket leaks produce the same pattern of oil behind the pan. 

Also, do yourself a favor and make sure the oil filter and any other hardware is tightened down properly. I just fixed an oil leak on the Ram 50 that was a loose oil filter...    frown

J.A. Ackley
3/25/24 3:36 p.m.

Can we tow it? Been waiting since 123p. The first company wanted to wheel lift it but not winch it out. So they told me they'd bring extra guys to push it and closed the ticket with Hagerty.

Hagerty called me and said them guys aren't coming back. They reassigned to a new company. Will we make it to my mechanic by 5? They said 15 minutes.

J.A. Ackley
3/25/24 4:02 p.m.

On its way to the shop. This guy knows how to tow. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
3/25/24 4:08 p.m.

I love the left rear wheel skid mark on the driveway from last time we drug it out of the garage.laugh

J.A. Ackley
3/25/24 4:32 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Ahh memories. 🤣

J.A. Ackley
3/25/24 4:42 p.m.

In the shop. Initial diagnosis: loose transmission bolts. However, will give it a good look over tomorrow. 

J.A. Ackley
3/25/24 5:34 p.m.

With the car out, it's definitely tranny fluid

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/25/24 5:57 p.m.

The white hair on the lift operator tells me youre in good hands with a car of this age.  

J.A. Ackley
3/25/24 6:48 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

The operator is the shop owner. He seems like a semi-retired old school mechanic who works on Mondays and Tuesdays to stay busy and loves the oldies. His staff is also good, too. They came on the recommendation of another shop that didn't want to deal with a possible engine issue on an older car. So far very impressed. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
3/26/24 9:20 a.m.

Yeah, that's definitely the wrong color for motor oil...

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DzrzKqj58PlGDDdQ4eJvNu9UQmIPDejUeShBmXpbW3qOC7rwL1CevHZYPcoc9kLS