1 2
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/1/23 11:07 a.m.
feature_image

In an alternate branch of our multiverse, the Lexus RC chassis, not the BMW G29, became the new Supra, and everyone in that parallel reality is pretty okay with it.

The sporty 2+2 platform–equipped in our test car with a V6 and AWD, but also available with a gnarly V8 and track-capable suspension–is kind of an under-the-radar choice, with Lexus …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/1/23 11:18 a.m.

Could V8 + manual box - luxury items = Supra? 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/1/23 11:19 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Could V8 + manual box - luxury items = Supra? 

It could, but it wont...

David S. Wallens
9/1/23 11:24 a.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

How about if we expand the Supra lineup to include some kind of Supra 2+2 model? Supra+? CrewCab Supra?

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/1/23 11:35 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I think "Grand Supra" would line up with Toyota's current naming conventions, but Supra 2+2 works for me.

JG Pasterjak
9/1/23 11:46 a.m.

"Superpra"

David S. Wallens
9/1/23 11:48 a.m.

Super-duper? 

stafford1500
9/1/23 3:17 p.m.

The RC350F or RCF (V8 version) made sense as a Supra replacement when we started the work to run them in the IMSA series, but then there is that whole badge engineering thing that was not quite what the Supra was destined for. Instead we got badge engineering from another manufacturer.

We have been running the same basic car since 2016.

Image obfuscated for all involved.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/23 4:54 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Supra Grande

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/1/23 7:00 p.m.

Supra Prime?

Saw one in the wild yesterday, about the same color as my GR86.  Mrs Frog confused the two.  But side by side it is like 10% bigger in every dimension.

I wouldn't throw it out of the garage., even in yellow.   With the right tires one could drive it in the snow,  something I wouldn't advise with the GR86.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise PowerDork
9/1/23 8:38 p.m.

my wife traded in her ls600hL for a RC-F. 4 years in, its been fun and solid. Great GT road trip car LA to Missoula. 

We went to buy a IS500 to upgrade from RCF (same motor), but driving dynamics left her disappointed. 

Shes keeping the RCF for now.58 k miles. Next upgrade maybe LC500 vert

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/23 11:11 a.m.

I know nothing but that they're stout enough to handle rallycross, which I wasn't expecting

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
9/3/23 11:49 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

my wife traded in her ls600hL for a RC-F. 4 years in, its been fun and solid. Great GT road trip car LA to Missoula. 

We went to buy a IS500 to upgrade from RCF (same motor), but driving dynamics left her disappointed. 

I'm curious what the dynamic differences were between the RC-F and the IS500.  I would have thought they'd be pretty similar?

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/4/23 9:12 a.m.

In reply to Flynlow (FS) :

Reports are that the transmission tuning leaves a lot to be desired. I think the steering feel is pretty meh as well. Reason why we're still rocking an IS-F for the foreseeable future

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/4/23 12:42 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

My wife's '08 IS-F is now over 150k and starting to show its age. It is her DD and she is not easy on it so we keep its service up to date and get everything done at the dealer. They have done the valley pan gasket 3 times now. Once paid for and the rest under warranty as they kept screwing up the gasket seating. It now seems to be using oil (not leaking, no oil stains, afaict) and I'm wondering if the "fix" is compromised again. I love driving this car. The engine noises are spot on, the transmission knows where I want to be, the suspension is stiff, and the brakes are magnificent. Looking at the Lexus lineup it's hard to know what I would replace it with. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise PowerDork
9/4/23 2:44 p.m.
Flynlow (FS) said:
mr2s2000elise said:

I'm curious what the dynamic differences were between the RC-F and the IS500.  I would have thought they'd be pretty similar?

They are heavy pigs (both). Having said that, the IS500 felt a lot softer. Almost as if (I am no auto journalist), it was just a IS350 with a big motor. The ISF and the RCF/GSF almost feels more connected as a package. Not just a big motor thrown off, and everything else is an understatment type of car. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/4/23 4:14 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

I've been very, very lucky. I've owned 3 IS-Fs, never had the valley plate leak on any of them. Though the first two both had premature water pump leaks, but that's an easy/cheap fix.

Current one is at 113k. I just did the valve cover gaskets, job is a gigantic PITA due to every piece of plastic on top of the motor being incredibly brittle. Now the starter is going out, so we're trying to decide if we want to drop $5k in starter/motor mounts/aftermarket headers/tune. We likely will, as there isn't anything else that really scratches that very specific segment

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
9/4/23 10:09 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Interesting.  I've driven several of the old ISF's and the new generation IS350 F-sports, but not the latest IS500.  It's currently high on my list to replace the ZHP if I can get over not having a manual.  What you all are saying makes sense if they didn't want it as "hardcore" as the ISF's suspension/steering settings, but I thought the IS350 F-sport was fairly competent.  I would have thought the IS500 would be the same, but more so (and with a really good engine).

JG Pasterjak
9/5/23 11:19 p.m.

The more I drive this thing the more I like it. It's very much an '80s throwback to the days of personal luxury coupes lie the BMW 635Csi (or M6, if you worked two floors up from the 635 guy), or the Lexus SC300 and SC400, which still look good to this day. The RC could definitely hang at their party.

Also—and it's dark now so I'll get a picture tomorrow—this MY2023 vehicle uses the same Toyota cruise control  stalk that's in my 2010 Tundra, my 2005 Prius, and my 1991 MR2. Man they must have ordered a BUNCH of those things.

stafford1500
9/6/23 5:59 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Also—and it's dark now so I'll get a picture tomorrow—this MY2023 vehicle uses the same Toyota cruise control  stalk that's in my 2010 Tundra, my 2005 Prius, and my 1991 MR2. Man they must have ordered a BUNCH of those things.

How many do you want? we use them as coffee stirrers at the shop.

JG Pasterjak
9/6/23 5:19 p.m.

We stan a legend. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/6/23 7:11 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

We stan a legend. 

jg

That looks suspiciously like the one in my old 99 4Runner...

David S. Wallens
9/6/23 10:46 p.m.

Just drove it a bit, and the RC 350 feels like an old friend–and not because it‘s been with us for nearly a decade. Call it comfortable, familiar, something that could still be with you a hundred years later.

Is that a CD player? Where’s the ambient LED lighting?

Instead of a rotary knob or buttons or whatever is cool this week, it gets that old-school Lexus shifter, itself a take on the classic Benz lever.

Hey, yeah, it does have that cruise control stalk from a second-gen MR2.

Love that Lexus continues to stick an analog clock right in the middle of the dash. 

And I’m okay with all of this. Give me tradition, give me familiar.

The center screen might look like it’s in the way, but it’s not. I found its top edge to sit just below the bottom of the windshield. 

The coupe is easy to get into, and you sink into the buckets–maybe a touch more lower cushion would help. Maybe as I never got tired of them. I love the wheel as it’s properly meaty. Good, clear gauges and displays. 

The car is quiet on the highway but, when you give it the boot, speaks. 

Steering feels a touch vague on center at first but then I didn’t notice it as much. 

The auto box is totally fine. Just put it in D. Smooth shifts and it never left me wishing for a lower gear. 

It just drives like a traditional Lexus: comfortable without any weird traits. 

So, yeah, even though it’s not the newest kid on the block, I’m calling this one an old favorite. If I had to drive this for a long time, I’d be okay with that. 

David S. Wallens
9/7/23 9:52 a.m.

And, like JG, I liked the one the more I drove it. I keep coming back to the words familiar and comfortable. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y65OGXwynn1xnabShlol9GxKueKaQOk6j2T4Jk9xrv5jjUnuBNxEeJp5dDDor0wm