1 2
Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/15/23 3:46 p.m.

I think they're really neat. I think one of those would be a great solution to:

1. Our aging dog who's eventually going to have trouble jumping into the Mini's back seat
  2. My desire to have a comfy thing to take mountain biking and a changing room at bike races and motorcycle track days
  3. Moving things that fit in a small van and are reasonably clean, but can tow a modest trailer for other stuff
  4. Our desire to do DD things on electric power. 90%+ of my errands would be within that thing's range.

But it just feels like flushing money to consider a DD that expensive. That's 20k more inflation-adjusted dollars than our Mini *after* the tax credit. We *could* do it without issue, it just feels dumb. I think we've lost the thread and need some review of what something like a Toyota IMV 0 does for moving people and things. The American auto market is like trying to get dinner in a movie theater which has dropped even the $8 "small" popcorn option. "I know there's only one of you, but the X-Large is the best value!"

I don't want throw pillows. I don't want power doors. I don't want infotainment systems that make my living room tech stack feel inadequate. I hope at some point when perhaps production capacity for batteries and stuff levels out we'll see a base model version of the plug-in hybrid minivan. Fingers crossed.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
11/15/23 3:57 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

This really is a joy to drive around town: quick, quiet and easy to use. No excuses for anyone getting in or out. It just Makes Sense.

If only driving a minivan was seen as cool....

That's why I was attracted to the Ford Flex.....kinda like minivan utility , without the silly stigma. I think a slammed minivan would be cool for a man my age........right?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/15/23 3:59 p.m.

FWIW, the base Pacifica Plug-In Hybrid Touring L starts at $51,095.

The ICE-powered Pacifica starts at $38,020.

The only other vehicle in today‘s Chrysler lineup? The 300.

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/15/23 4:08 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

To be honest, until recently, I thought they had completely done away with the chrysler brand

David S. Wallens
11/15/23 4:15 p.m.

In reply to gixxeropa :

See, it’s like this site is educational. :) 

David S. Wallens
11/15/23 4:17 p.m.

And looks like the 300 is about to go away.

Chrysler’s future? Electrification, the brand says. 

Jesse Ransom
11/15/23 4:36 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

FWIW, the base Pacifica Plug-In Hybrid Touring L starts at $51,095.

The ICE-powered Pacifica starts at $38,020.

The only other vehicle in today‘s Chrysler lineup? The 300.

Thank you for the sanity check. Taking a chill pill. I mean, I don't feel entirely in left field, but that might've gotten a wee bit frothy.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
11/16/23 6:41 a.m.

I had the rental spec version of this last spring break.  All six of us loved traveling in it.  Mine did not come with the charging cord so it always read 0% charge but still used the electric motor and got great mpg.  One time I set the cruise at 45 mph going down a mountain, the regenerative braking worked hard all the way down.  By the time we reached the bottom it had 30% charge.  Kind of fun to play with.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/16/23 8:46 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:
David S. Wallens said:

This really is a joy to drive around town: quick, quiet and easy to use. No excuses for anyone getting in or out. It just Makes Sense.

That's why I was attracted to the Ford Flex.....kinda like minivan utility , without the silly stigma. I think a slammed minivan would be cool for a man my age........right?

A slammed Flex with the boost turned up would be cool for any age, IMO. Plus, it can even tow a decent amount.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/16/23 8:52 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

I love the look of the Flex (never been in one) but the huge swinging side doors are a deal breaker.  For an opening that size I want sliders.

David S. Wallens
11/16/23 9:08 a.m.

Flex was cool to drive, too. Sadly it just didn’t catch on. 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
11/16/23 10:12 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:
David S. Wallens said:

Yes

David S. Wallens
11/16/23 11:02 a.m.

Amazing what the right springs and wheels can accomplish. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/16/23 3:55 p.m.

I remember when the Flex first came out and my wagon-loving ex- was excited to see it. Then we went to the NYIAS and saw it. 

"OMG! It's berking huge!" was her literal reaction. 

Too much SUV and not enough wagon for wagon lovers and not enough SUV for that market. 

If I didn't have to venture down the occasional washed out dirt road to get to bike riding spots, that lowered Pacifica would be awesome. 

johndej
johndej SuperDork
11/16/23 4:01 p.m.

I was somewhat shopping these last year along with sienna but ended up with a lightly used odyssey. Chrysler has really stepped up their game with it.

David S. Wallens
11/16/23 5:24 p.m.

The Pacifica has gone home to the mother ship, but a few more comments.

Yeah, the details feel rather upmarket: tight stitching, no visible flaws. 

David S. Wallens
11/16/23 5:25 p.m.

Lots of plugs, too.

David S. Wallens
11/16/23 5:26 p.m.

Very comfortable back here with, of course, more plugs.

David S. Wallens
11/16/23 5:26 p.m.

Plus free press car change. :)

David S. Wallens
11/16/23 5:28 p.m.

Which really should go here.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/17/23 8:04 a.m.

The hooks for grocery bags on the back of the front seats - I use those a lot.  

David S. Wallens
11/17/23 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

They sound so silly until you go, Hey, how did I go all these years without them? 

Jesse Ransom
11/17/23 10:09 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

It's so dumb, but i just had the image of one with a "woody" wrap and Moon discs...

I had not yet seen Calvin Nelson's woody-wrapping his wagon video when I said that.

I'm back to pondering stupid ideas around woody Malibu or LeBaron wagons...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lcszj4AZDCP10xktsMYSk5qvHDo5Gy2QgFPNvWImumW3PixfGTz5zbFh9LXFBjuw