Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
2/5/24 12:57 p.m.
feature_image

Wanna ride shotgun with the GRM crew?

Welcome to this week’s test vehicle, a 2024 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SEL S-AWC, the plug-in hybrid variant of the Outlander.

Mitsubishi claims the plug-in Outlander is capable of a combined 64 MPGe.

MSRP for the Outlander PHEV starts at $40,345, with our SEL-trim tester coming in at $51,835.

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/5/24 1:15 p.m.

I think it looks stunning. Love the interior details. The interior quilting is up there with the best of them. 

We live in an age of snappy automatics, seriously quick EVs and Hyundais tuned by Albert Biermann. The Outlander, at least in plug-in hybrid mode, doesn’t deliver any of that.

Will most people notice or care about the CVT-like experience? Is it quick enough? What about the lack of steering feel?

If not, then they might find a home here as it’s priced right and packed with features. I just found the behind-the-wheel experience a bit dull. I know it’s “just” an SUV, but it’s a competitive pool these days. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
2/5/24 1:19 p.m.

$56,000 for a Mitsubishi??  Uh...

What will it be worth in 5 years?  $5,600?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/5/24 1:30 p.m.

A whole week? I'm sorry

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
2/5/24 1:53 p.m.

Back in August of 2022, J.G. went to a concert in a non-hybrid version. He said, in part,

Although the 2.5-liter direct-injected four cylinder of the Outlander barely exceeds 180 horsepower, it makes up for the lack of power by delivering fairly stellar fuel economy for something so big and square. I nearly hit 30 mpg on the highway drive to Orlando, and was averaging high-20s around town, which is impressive for a legitimately useful stuff and people hauler.

And although the Outlander is larger than its competitors, it drives small, with good sightlines to the edges, a tight turning circle and a fantastic and accurate backup camera and proximity warning suite. It has the practicality of largeness with the usability of a much smaller vehicle.

Are those comments (well, not the fuel usage, obviously) still valid? J.G.'s was 40 grand, whereas this one is 50, so I can understand that you might want/expect "more," but I might definitely consider paying $10k more to get the PHEV version.

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/5/24 9:23 p.m.

If I recall correctly, this is heavily based on the Nissan Rogue, but with a Mitsu PHEV drivetrain.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
2/6/24 10:15 a.m.

Will it be used in the next installment of the Fast & Spurious franchise?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/6/24 11:18 a.m.

Current status after Orlando and back–an hour each way–plus some city/town driving. No cruise on the highway.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e4V018DPu9lqeKiW1rKwqEjdxhDaMHYJCNofbHq0aK7ihloDTCta0C4GDdP9Bbo1