1 2 3 4
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/6/24 1:01 p.m.
feature_image

Wanna ride shotgun with GRM?

Welcome to this week’s test vehicle,  a 2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Tremor.

The "Tremor," of course, refers to the off-road package that adds an "off-road tuned suspension" as well as additional ride height. All-terrain tires and plenty of orange accents get tacked on, too.

As a top-trim Lariat, our Maverick tester carries an MSRP of $34,855. Add …

Read the rest of the story

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/6/24 1:05 p.m.

A dial transmission select and an electronic E-Brake.

Don't like.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
3/6/24 1:14 p.m.

I'm not a fan of electric e-brake then I thought how as my Silverado got older I'd push that peddle further to hold it on my slight incline driveway.  

Then my elderly wife (LOL) and my skinny daughter struggled pushing the foot  e-brake in order to move my truck.  Electric is designed for them.  

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
3/6/24 1:20 p.m.

Those smoked headlight reflectors look SO much better than the chrome standard ones. That plus the other minor tweaks take the exterior from something that does nothing for me to a pretty good looking little trucklet. 

Aren't these strut suspension all the way around? Is the taller suspension actually longer travel (better ride quality?) or is it just taller like those strut spacer leveling kits?

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/6/24 2:19 p.m.

Where is rest of the story?  Driving impressions? Handling?  How's that AWD Turbo set up?

Larry734
Larry734 New Reader
3/6/24 7:47 p.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

My 2016 Mustang manual w/ sport pkg parking brake was less&less effective. Turned out I needed rear calipers for $800, fortunately on extended warrantee. The parking brakes are internal to the calipers and just make them more expensive parts!

Larry734
Larry734 New Reader
3/6/24 7:49 p.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

My 2016 Mustang manual w/ sport pkg parking brake was less&less effective. Turned out I needed rear calipers for $800, fortunately on extended warrantee. The parking brakes are internal to the calipers and just make them more expensive parts!

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
3/6/24 8:17 p.m.

Can it tow anything?

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/6/24 8:44 p.m.
Spearfishin said:

Can it tow anything?

4000 lbs with the right options.

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
3/6/24 9:30 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
Spearfishin said:

Can it tow anything?

Lariat/Tremor? That do 4k, or less?

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
3/7/24 12:04 a.m.
Spearfishin said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
Spearfishin said:

Can it tow anything?

Lariat/Tremor? That do 4k, or less?

Officially only 2k, though it has a lot of the functional equipment from the 4k tow package so the reality is probably somewhere in the middle.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/7/24 7:02 a.m.

I'm amazed that all Maverick, including the Hybrid w/2k# towing capacity is allowed to leave the factory with a 2" hitch.  If you remember, after the tire blowing debacle with the early Ford Explorer those trucks were only fitted with a 1 1/4" hitch from the factory. 

The 2" is so much better for universal attachments like bike racks, hitch carriers, etc. 

Colin Wood
3/7/24 9:14 a.m.

Interestingly, Ford indicates that the Tremor doesn't have access to the 4K Tow Package, meaning it can only tow up to 2000 pounds. Let me do a little more digging because I feel like you'd want to be able to have the 4K Tow Package as well as the Tremor.

EDIT: I went through the configurator real quick, and yeah, no 4K towing with the Tremor.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
3/7/24 9:23 a.m.

Will it do brake stand boosted launches?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/7/24 9:24 a.m.
jharry3 said:

Where is rest of the story?  Driving impressions? Handling?  How's that AWD Turbo set up?

It’s the right size for me. It’s easy to park yet has enough cargo room. It reminds me of a full-size truck circa 15 or 20 years ago. It’s not going to tow your fifth wheel, but you can easily park it.

Quiet on the highway. Very little wind noise. 

Comfortable seats with solid support. 

I like the turbo setup. Some lag but then it comes on strongly. 

Colin Wood
3/7/24 9:27 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I wish I was in the market for one, honestly. It really does look the right size.

I know they probably won't, but an all-wheel-drive hybrid would be cool. A plug-in would be cool too.

David S. Wallens
3/7/24 9:28 a.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

A dial transmission select and an electronic E-Brake.

Don't like.

The big question whenever getting into a new vehicle: How will I put it in gear? A lever? Buttons? A knob? Some kinda combination like BMW where you get a lever (kinda) for RND and then a button for for P?

Here we have a knob for the full PRNL. If ranking things, I’d put the knob above buttons but below a lever. 

Back in the day, you knew that park was followed by reverse, etc. You didn’t have to watch as you moved the lever.

With buttons, I always feel the need to look. I know it’s sometimes on the display, but still....

The knob eliminates that fear for me, but I was totally fine with a lever. 

David S. Wallens
3/7/24 9:30 a.m.

One thing with this truck, and maybe it’s just this one: I cannot get my iPhone to work with CarPlay. I can pair the phone with the truck, but when accessing CarPlay, my phone isn’t there. I deleted other phones to make room, disconnected the phone and reconnected it, etc., but no worky. 

David S. Wallens
3/7/24 9:30 a.m.
slefain said:

Will it do brake stand boosted launches?

Hmmmmm....

David S. Wallens
3/7/24 9:35 a.m.
jharry3 said:

More about handling: I like it. I realize it’s a truck, but it feels good on on/off ramps. I felt confident and comfortable on the highway. Steering isn’t vauge or overboosted. The truck doesn’t track all all over the place, it doesn’t do anything weird. I see why people like them.

I could drive this thing cross-country, assuming the CarPlay worked. (Also, the XM subscription ran out mid-song on Oingo Boingo.)

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
3/7/24 10:11 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

One thing with this truck, and maybe it’s just this one: I cannot get my iPhone to work with CarPlay. I can pair the phone with the truck, but when accessing CarPlay, my phone isn’t there. I deleted other phones to make room, disconnected the phone and reconnected it, etc., but no worky. 

This is a Sync 4 issue. It seems every other time I start my Raptor up the phone doesn't connect via carplay either OTA or through a cable. 

For the highest trim, I'd expect the highest tow rating, guess that ain't true. I think the Maverick and Santa Cruz are great options for 90% of people that want trucks (and Ridgline). If I didn't need to tow, I would be rocking one of those for a DD. 

David S. Wallens
3/7/24 10:14 a.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

So far, I’m a big zero for getting CarPlay to work. Sorta glad to hear it’s not just me. 

As a backup, I used the truck’s navigation. Old school, right? It couldn’t find the name of my destination. It’s not a brand-new business, either. Couldn’t find the place when searching by category, either. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
3/7/24 10:27 a.m.

Huh, my 23 XLT Maverick hasnt had any issues connecting to my Wife's Iphone. 

Curious if the rear diff on that package makes much of a difference for slippery roads, I have doubts as mine feels like its most grip challenged on the inside front (not that it has any real grip problems). 

I really like my truck. Only disappointments are noisy cold start and running with the direct injection and how much you wind up running to get additional accessories for the little things (tailgate assist / etc). 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/7/24 10:51 a.m.

The raptor is arguably the highest trim F-150. But, it has less towing capacity rating then a standard F-150. I think this is due to springs and tires giving the truck the lifted suspension. This tremor is also a lifted suspension and off-road not highway tires

David S. Wallens
3/7/24 11:04 a.m.

A Christmas miracle: CarPlay now works. 

Still no SiriusXM, though. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WNLVBMdhceXhRPYrhbyhgr3zVCb2W9Qn4CsxJa4MKH37XiD2muW3xWN2pICvT1xz