1 2 3 4
trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/7/24 11:05 a.m.

I want the Maverick price, and  Hybrid system in the Ranger, with 5,000lb tow capacity and 5 1/2 bed wink cool

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
3/7/24 11:55 a.m.

2000 lb towing capacity? Isn't that like minivan level capability? Even my little enclosed trailer is over that as soon as you put anything meaningful in it. 

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/7/24 12:00 p.m.

While we're dreaming:

I like my Jeep Cherokee. It's the right size for virtually everything I need, it's easy to drive, easy to park, and gets reasonable fuel economy. In addition, it has an actual rear locker and is surprisingly good off-road: It takes me everywhere I want to go, and is great for camping with the wife.

I just wish it could tow 8,000lb so I could hook it up to my enclosed trailer with a car inside. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
3/7/24 12:54 p.m.
John Welsh said:

The raptor is arguably the highest trim F-150. But, it has less towing capacity rating then a standard F-150. I think this is due to springs and tires giving the truck the lifted suspension. This tremor is also a lifted suspension and off-road not highway tires

Yes, but, the Tremor package on the F-150 can two 2000lbs more than the Raptor. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/7/24 1:10 p.m.
gearheadE30 said:

2000 lb towing capacity? Isn't that like minivan level capability? Even my little enclosed trailer is over that as soon as you put anything meaningful in it. 

It's not surprising. The Maverick is small. It shares a chassis with the Escape, which I think is based on the Focus. There's only so much you can do with that, towing-wise.

I think Rangers can be specced to tow around 7k, enough for a normal-size car on an open trailer. If you need to tow, that's probably a better alternative.

glyn ellis
glyn ellis New Reader
3/7/24 1:44 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Can GRM try towing something of that weight and report back?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/7/24 2:48 p.m.

In reply to glyn ellis :

Let me see what we can do. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
3/7/24 3:13 p.m.

Yeah, 2000 lbs. isn't too useful for car stuff. It's fine for a motorcycle or a utility trailer or anything, but this trim Maverick isn't too helpful for cars. You need to go to a lower-trim eco-boost for a 4000-lb. rating. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/7/24 3:16 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

The Raptor package lowers the tow capacity for all versions. F150 down. 

David S. Wallens
3/7/24 3:18 p.m.

When parked next to Chris’ Frontier, you get a sense how smol the Maverick is–and I’m okay with that. It would be a good truck for my wife and I. We’re not towing fifth wheels; we’re hauling mulch and bikes and our dog. 

So, this or the Santa Cruz?

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
3/7/24 3:21 p.m.

I just picked up the Maverick from David, I have spent some time in the Hybrid version because my dad owns one but this is my first experience with the eco-boost model. First impressions are that in the Tremor trim it feels similar to a smaller version of my Nissan Frontier but is way more comfortable.  

David S. Wallens
3/7/24 3:22 p.m.

Good or bad (likely good), the Maverick pretty much disapears on the highway. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/7/24 3:24 p.m.

I'm a firm believer that most people only need an El Camino not a full size truck. The Maverick and the Santa Cruz are essentially modern El Caminos. If they had a longer bed and an extended cab versus the short bed four-door I'd like them even more.

Chris Tropea
3/7/24 3:25 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I don't mind the selection knob but I wish they had an option to push it down once or something similar to put it in park instead of scrolling back. 

David S. Wallens
3/7/24 3:32 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Yes, I’d also trade some interior space for bed length. I’m not regularly putting people in the back seat–more like camera gear and the dog. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
3/7/24 4:00 p.m.

I'll go the other way, I like it how it is.  

My needs require the ability to haul two kids who are presently in forward facing carseats/boosters.  I even did a tonneau cover that takes away some of the front of bed space and I dont miss it. (could be because I never owned a pickup before). 

I moved to this from an 07 expedition (that dosent have a 3rd row) and it has tons more utility. The bed will roll up tonneau is more useful than the back of the expedition was. The only thing that the Maverick loses out on to the Expedition is having enough space across for an adult to sit in the middle seat between the carseats. 

I have the lower trim with 4k tow and I havent gotten the trailer out with it yet, but I expect it to do fine. 

If I needed to fit more stuff in the bed, well, I have a trailer for that. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/7/24 4:37 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

really want to prefer the Santa Cruz over the Maverick, but I just feel like the Maverick is somehow more practical.

Maybe I see the Maverick as more truck-like, while the Santa Cruz is more like a crossover with a trunk, if that makes any sense.

Chris Tropea
3/7/24 4:58 p.m.
Colin Wood said:
David S. Wallens said:

really want to prefer the Santa Cruz over the Maverick, but I just feel like the Maverick is somehow more practical.

Maybe I see the Maverick as more truck-like, while the Santa Cruz is more like a crossover with a trunk, if that makes any sense.

You nailed it, for me the Santa Cruz didnt nail it. Its more Ridgline were the Maverick is more F150 or Ranger. The Mavrick feels more like a truck and personaly that is what I like. 

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/7/24 5:15 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I'm a firm believer that most people only need an El Camino not a full size truck. The Maverick and the Santa Cruz are essentially modern El Caminos. If they had a longer bed and an extended cab versus the short bed four-door I'd like them even more.

They could have called it the Ranchero.  That was the name of Ford's original Car/Truck back in the dawn of time.   

Alternatively I think Ford should have skipped that new Ranger, which is the size of one of the older F-150's from the 90's, and named the Maverick the Ranger instead.      People had been clamoring for a new small Ford Pickup truck since they ended the Ranger around 2012* (*edit my 2020 typo).  

Fair
Fair New Reader
3/7/24 6:21 p.m.

On my 2022 Maverick XL, to make all of the functions of Apple CarPlay / Android Auto "screen mirroring" work you have to plug your phone into the USB port.

Some Ford models can connect for full CarPlay features wirelessly (our 2023 Bronco, 2024 Darkhorse, and 2024 F450 do!) but the Maverick needs to be wired in to have full functionality. Just one of those things...

You can connect wirelessly via Bluetooth to stream music / podcasts, or even to use your phone, but it does not screen mirror or run apps like Waze and other navigations. And strangely enough, if you are wired in, your handsfree phone calling typically does NOT work. You have to often reconnect via Bluetooth (or connect that way first), before you plug in. It is fiddly, but it does work. cheeky

Fair
Fair New Reader
3/7/24 6:25 p.m.

We haul 4-5 people to lunch every day in our Maverick. The back seat is super handy for me...

And yes, the truck bed is still useful. I carry a pallet worth of parts to and from different machine shops, laser cutters, plating shops or powder coater almost daily.

I really like the rolling, locakable bed cover - it keeps anything short enough to fit underneath secure and try, and away from prying eyes. This is my little parts runner and I'm not ashamed! wink

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
3/7/24 6:32 p.m.

In reply to Fair :

I've been waiting to see if you did anything more with trying parts on yours. I do get it if it's fallen off the burner as it may not be too marketable, but I can hope!

Fair
Fair New Reader
3/7/24 6:35 p.m.

Saw some comments about towing, and I thought I'd share my experiences with my 2022 Maverick XL with AWD Ecoboost.

I ordered this with the optional towing package, which ups the towing capacity to 4000 pounds. It includes upgraded fluid coolers, firmer springs, hitch, better gearing, etc.

Not every version of the Maverick can option this 4K towing package, but it is worth every penny of the $745 extra it cost me.

We have towed with the Maverick a dozen times, and it does all right. You have to watch the tongue weight, and we utililize an aluminum trailer and only tow light-ish cars, but we make it work. This 2023 BRZ on the back is 2700 pounds, and the Featherlite trailer is about 1200. So we are near that 4000 pound limit. I wouldn't want to go across country like this, but we do 90 mile tows each way with it all the time. Only issue is the rear squat, and that is mostly loading limitations.

We got a 2023 Bronco custom ordered with Wildtrak and tow package. It is only rated at 3500 pound capacity but actually tows better - mostly due to the fact that it is a full frame truck and weighs more? Not sure. We've since been using the Bronco for the "second tow vehicle" more than the Maverick.

"Real" tow vehicles put all of these smaller trucks to shame. Our F450 can tow 25K and not break a sweat, and we've just upgraded to a 48' gooseneck trailer so we can tow two cars now with one truck and trailer. That is so much easier than loading up two cars into two trailers and using two tow vehicles! I'm all about over-doing the tow vehicle, and the 500 hp / 1200 ft-lb High Output 6.7 diesel in the F-450 + 10-speed Alison trans is what GETS IT DONE.

But in a pinch... the Maverick is willing and able to tow 4K. wink

Fair
Fair New Reader
3/7/24 6:48 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

To be honest, I'm just completely overwhelmed on other projects.

This Maverick has MCS coilovers, Vorshlag camber plates, Enkei 18x9.5" NT03+M wheels, and more. But I ran outta steam...

I mean this with some shred of humility - I just have too damned many cars. 22 at last count, and many of them are being ignored. The 630 whp Max1 prepped 2015 Mustang "Trigger" is gobbling up lots of shop time and money, and the 2024 Darkhorse, 2023 BRZ, and a handful of others are as well. Just too much on my plate to chase Maverick related work / parts sales.

For the longest time my wife and I both fought over who got to drive the Maverick! But her long awaited Bronco arrived and she loves it. My 2024 F450 arrived and it is ridiculously luxurious. I regret ordering the "poverty spec" Maverick now, so I encourage folks to get the XLT or Lariat or Tremor versions. My XL doesn't even have freagin cruise control. frown

I still drive the Maverick almost every day, and it is a little work horse. But the Bronco rides nicer, the F450 is more well appointed, and all of the race cars gobble up all of my time and money. So the little Maverick XL hasn't been upgraded much in about a year... we have a pile of parts, a COBB hand held, some flares, and more to put on it.

If my shop schedule ever gets caught up on race car work, the Maverick will get some upgrades. Some day!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
3/7/24 7:15 p.m.

In reply to Fair :

Appreciate the update! Totally get it.

I got the XLT lux package as well as copilot 360, I have no regrets.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UiGXmnNe9IF0uGq50EJGtT2DjLeCJuGJhqP3W2wY5Qu2YsmpOunA3625wmMM7ycO