1 2 3 4
STM317
STM317 PowerDork
3/7/24 7:22 p.m.
jharry3 said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I'm a firm believer that most people only need an El Camino not a full size truck. The Maverick and the Santa Cruz are essentially modern El Caminos. If they had a longer bed and an extended cab versus the short bed four-door I'd like them even more.

They could have called it the Ranchero.  That was the name of Ford's original Car/Truck back in the dawn of time.   

Alternatively I think Ford should have skipped that new Ranger, which is the size of one of the older F-150's from the 90's, and named the Maverick the Ranger instead.      People had been clamoring for a new small Ford Pickup truck since they ended the Ranger around 2020.  

They ended the last small Ranger all the way back in 2012.

4bangin
4bangin New Reader
3/7/24 7:27 p.m.

Hard to get excited about yet another 4-door stub truck with no manual option, but I get it, that's just the way things are now. Wish Ford sold the Fiesta-based Courier in the States, not worth importing something impossible to get parts for...

Fair
Fair New Reader
3/7/24 7:36 p.m.

People need to realize how smol the Maverick is... here is the Ford 1/2 ton truck lineup in 2022:

After seeing the above pic I started snapping pics with my 22 Maverick next to other trucks...

We get to park next to big jacked up Brodozers here in Texas all the time... indecision

These two below have more in common than you might think

The Bronco isn't a huge vehicle, but it is compared to the Maverick

I think the Rivian R1T outweighs the 3500 pound Maverick by 2X? 3X?

Similar bed sizes tho. wink

4bangin
4bangin New Reader
3/7/24 7:44 p.m.

It's not that small, that 01-03 Ranger is smaller in all dimensions except height, which is nearly the same. The Ranger was considered large for a compact truck... does no one remember the Japanese minitrucks that were considerably smaller?

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
3/7/24 8:18 p.m.
4bangin said:

It's not that small, that 01-03 Ranger is smaller in all dimensions except height, which is nearly the same. The Ranger was considered large for a compact truck... does no one remember the Japanese minitrucks that were considerably smaller?

I remember the Nissan hardbody and would love to buy a new truck sized like that.

Or a stock, rust free 2wd regular cab with a five speed and A/C. If I could find one.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/8/24 6:29 a.m.

Look for updates from the road today as Chris and I are heading to Sebring in it for HSR.

David S. Wallens
3/8/24 8:11 a.m.

Hello from I-4. 

David S. Wallens
3/8/24 8:17 a.m.

Observations from the right seat:

More wind noise than I remembered. 
Lots of buttons. 
Screen is right size. 
Comfy seats. 
Good bass. 
More truck-like ride than the Santa Cruz. 

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
3/8/24 8:44 a.m.

Anyone else think they should make a Maverick Sport with the Eco Boost motor, factory lowering kit, fun colors, and a manual transmission? I'd buy that!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
3/8/24 8:54 a.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

I am seriously thinking about getting this for mine https://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-3431.html

Thing that holds me back is worrying about how it will effect towing. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/8/24 9:09 a.m.
jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/8/24 9:18 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

13.26 @ 102.41  -  Is this stock?  Sticky tires?  Cobb type turbo tune?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/8/24 9:20 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I looked up fuel economy and the Tremor is rated at just 20/21/24
What are you (will you) see for mpg on this mostly hwy run?  

What speed do you like to set your cruise control?  I like 77 mph.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/8/24 9:22 a.m.
jharry3 said:

In reply to John Welsh :

13.26 @ 102.41  -  Is this stock?  Sticky tires?  Cobb type turbo tune?

Video details says:

13.26 at 102.41 backed up with a 13.27 at 102.6mph.
Truck is equipped with:
Buschur's front mount intercooler
Buschur's 3" catback
Buschur's 3" intake
Buschur Pro Vented catch can
5Star "Buschur Package" tune

These guys are local to me and have a long history in DSM trubos: https://buschursllc.com/br-cart/367-22-ford-maverick-20

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
3/8/24 10:32 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

So far the truck is saying 26mpg on the way to Sebring. Around town yesterday it was getting 23ish.

David S. Wallens
3/8/24 5:58 p.m.

And heading home from Sebring. More comments in the morning. 

David S. Wallens
3/9/24 10:45 a.m.

So, those pics from our Friday at Sebring with HSR. 

Chris got the good spot at Publix on the way into town. 

For whatever reason, I totally dig the offset rear license plate. 

David S. Wallens
3/9/24 10:45 a.m.

And the Maverick served us well when we got to the track and ate said Publix.

David S. Wallens
3/9/24 10:46 a.m.

Nothing to do with the Maverick, but look at Chris multitasking. (Video feature on that BMW 2002 coming up soon over on the Classic Motorsports YouTube channel.)

David S. Wallens
3/9/24 10:47 a.m.

Again, a good parking spot. (There’s a car behind that black truck, so we left room for it to exit.)

David S. Wallens
3/9/24 10:49 a.m.

It’s definitely “truck enough,” whatever that means, to get us around Green Park for photos. No photo, but picture Chris shooting out of the bed at one point, too.

Yes, just about any truck could have done this, but the Maverick didn’t feel so huge when navigating around everything. Easy to drive, easy to park. 

David S. Wallens
3/9/24 11:02 a.m.

We followed the BSI Racing hauler all the way to I-95.

And ow.

David S. Wallens
3/9/24 11:09 a.m.

And then our dinner stop at Cracker Barrel.

Some observations from six hours riding shotgun.

Way comfortable seats, even after three hours to Sebring. No foot falling asleep, no sore elbows, no issues.

After a while, the wind noise didn’t bother us as much. YMMV.

Some cars, after a while, get annoying. What is that squeak? Why is this plastic so hard? Why does my knee hurt? With the Maverick, none of that. It just kinda disappeared.

Not a ton of space between the front occupants–it’s not an F-150–but we both had enough room. I’d call it right sized for my needs. 

Even with the Tremor package, the Maverick is easy to get in and out of. The Colorado ZR2 and Trail Boss are a joke here. You wanna get in easily and gracefully? Nope. Those two still baffle me. I could daily the Maverick Tremor, and I’m not tall. 

David S. Wallens
3/9/24 11:27 a.m.
CrashDummy said:

Anyone else think they should make a Maverick Sport with the Eco Boost motor, factory lowering kit, fun colors, and a manual transmission? I'd buy that!

I’d be interested. AWD or FWD? Or both offered? 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
3/9/24 2:22 p.m.

Lower it, add a bit of flare to accommodate increasing track width (so it could be solo legal)...

As an aside, here's how the back seat of a maverick works out for road tripping with young kids.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3Bw5cZ980a9aUw5p2ehkEguk7zu8QYjv1eSWNCnha6761A2SjIHA1mpkGeC9pHIb