David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/1/23 11:59 a.m.
feature_image

Wanna ride shotgun with the GRM crew?

Welcome to this week’s test car, the 2023 Alfa Romeo Tonale Veloce EAWD. Think of it as Italy’s version of the Dodge Hornet or even the Jeep Compass.

[2023 Dodge Hornet GT new car review]

Total price for our test car is $57,290, with the major options including the Premium Interior and …

Read the rest of the story

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/1/23 12:04 p.m.

Wonder what makes it a Veloce version...  

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/1/23 12:09 p.m.

Hands down some of the best driving dynamics of any small SUV, and one of the best wheel/seat/pedal relationships of ANY car, regardless of class. Aside from that, I found it kind of unremarkable. A full charge got me less than 30 miles of electric range, which is more than nothing but not enough to justify the additional cost. Outward visibility is godawful, interior quality is perfectly appropriate for a Dodge Hornet costing $10,000 less but not for a premium product, and the seat—despite being in a great spot—didn't  seem particularly comfortable or supportive. Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, it was a great play.

Cargo capacity is five ducks (small form factor).

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/1/23 12:10 p.m.

Oh, also, when I gave it back to David, I was going to fill it up for him, but I couldn't figure out how to open the fuel door. Even sat at 7-11 watching YouTube videos until I got honked at. Cars are stupid.

David S. Wallens
8/1/23 12:22 p.m.

Bam:

David S. Wallens
8/1/23 12:23 p.m.

There’s a button.

David S. Wallens
8/1/23 12:24 p.m.

So far I have only driven it to Publix, so basically down the street. It carried home our groceries just fine. 

I forgot to photograph our groceries, but I did get the rainbow. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/1/23 12:29 p.m.

I like how the wheels remind me of Porsche phonedials.  Also the name, how do we say it?   Like "toe nail"?  

David S. Wallens
8/1/23 12:33 p.m.
alfadriver said:

Side-drafts and some head work.

Oh, wait, how about 19-inch wheel standard with 20s optional, Alcantera seats, standard paddle shifters and a few “sportier” bits of trim. 

David S. Wallens
8/1/23 12:36 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

I like how the wheels remind me of Porsche phonedials.  Also the name, how do we say it?   Like "toe nail"?  

Toe+nollie. :)

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
8/1/23 12:37 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Alfa has been doing phone dials for many, many, many years. Possibly before Porsche. It's kinda their thing. They didn't look like that, though.

"Toe-NAHL-ay". Don't forget the hand gesture that goes with it.

David S. Wallens
8/1/23 12:43 p.m.

In reply to RadBarchetta :

Nollie, you know, like this. smiley

pres589 (djronnebaum)
8/1/23 12:45 p.m.

Fast internet research (so this should be trusted a whole bunch) says that the Porsche phonedial first showed up in 1977 on the 928.  Practically historic.  When did Alfa have a similar design?  

I think I'm just going to call it the Toe Nail.  It's not like I'm going to see many of these, and if it's anything like the other recent cars besides the 124 Fiata I doubt people are going to talk about them much.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/1/23 1:23 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

This design is a derivative of the wheels they used on GTAs back in the day. Back when phone dials had a lot of holes in them. Similar designs were on the later 164s here in the states. 
More hole version was used on the Spider Veloces in the 80s. 

The really funny irony was that the mag wheels were designed to look like steel wheels to make the homologation easier. I wish I knew how to copy picture links, but google Alfa GTA magnesium wheels and you will find cast Mg wheels that look identical to stamped steel wheels. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/1/23 1:25 p.m.

These wheels are cast Mg. They became classic and then derivatives came over the decades, currently looking like the wheels on this car. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/1/23 1:26 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
alfadriver said:

Side-drafts and some head work.

Oh, wait, how about 19-inch wheel standard with 20s optional, Alcantera seats, standard paddle shifters and a few “sportier” bits of trim. 

Almost should be called a Quadrifoglio. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/1/23 1:29 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

The seat was in a great spot???  The purists will be horrified, lol. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
8/1/23 1:49 p.m.

Yeah, I know those wheels.  I guess they're a phonedial but the hole size and count is way off.  I do like those.

I always thought that the Mazda B2300 that had steel wheels that looked like that were cool.  Unfortunately they're 14's only to my knowledge so they're kind of limiting for today's rubber and brakes.

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
8/1/23 3:44 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Fast internet research (so this should be trusted a whole bunch) says that the Porsche phonedial first showed up in 1977 on the 928.  Practically historic.  When did Alfa have a similar design?  

Good question. Probably about the same time. Prior to that it may be hard to distingiush a "phone dial" from a steelie with a bunch of holes in it, but that's kind of where the deisgn language came from. The term "phone dial" may have actually originated with Porsche, regardless of which company first produced something that might be considered one. We could probably debate this all day...  :)

bumpsteer
bumpsteer Reader
8/1/23 5:35 p.m.

Those paddles sure are something. This thing as tested is the same price as a standard SQ5 or X3 M40i... You can buy a GLB35 for a bit less. What's the value on this vs the German options besides being red and Italian?

David S. Wallens
8/2/23 8:53 a.m.

In reply to bumpsteer :

Those paddles certainly are something as they’re comically huge. They don’t rotate with the steering wheel and, to be honest, are totally unnecessary as the transmission’s logic is that good. It up- and downshifts with the best of them. 

Last night, I drove the Alfa to Orlando for our monthly zine night, so an hour each way. 

On the highway, you can’t argue with physics as you can feel that short wheelbase. Ride is a bit firm, although I noticed tire pressures up in the mid-40s. I’ll check them cold later today to see if that’s impacting things. 

Good power and, like I said, stellar transmission action. I drove in manual mode for a bit in town and found it to be a waste of time. The auto never left me waiting for a gear change whether going up or down the fretboard. If anything, those paddles only get in the way when you want to use the turn signals. 

Seat back felt good with plenty of bolstering although the seat bottom felt a touch short. Wheel is grippy although not sure it needs to be D-shaped. File that along with the paddles. 

More to come as I’m running late for a video shoot. 

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
8/2/23 1:27 p.m.

I got to check out the car today when David brought it to our video shoot. Its very good looking, I'm a fan of the wheels. 

David S. Wallens
8/2/23 1:55 p.m.

JG couldn’t find the gas door button, and I admit it took me a few to find the starter button.

Dash? Nope.

Center console? Na da.

Oh, that’s right, Alfa puts the starter button the steering wheel because, um, that’s how they did it in the ’60s?

David S. Wallens
8/3/23 11:34 a.m.

Our Alfa goes away, so some parting thoughts.

It looks cool, both inside and out. The gauges, for example, are housed in the classic Alfa “binnacle.” (Whether today’s consumer remembers that fact, I don’t know.)

I dig the aluminum-like dash work, too. Very retro. 

The whole interior, in fact, just has a tied-together look that offers some personality. It reminds me of the first Minis: retro without trying too hard. 

It’s also not slow, and I dig the auto box. It’s crisp.

But some of that style come at a price. Check out the example between the rear door handles and the curvature of the rear window. What happens when you open the rear door? Bonk.

And then there’s the price: $57,290 for our test car. 

Is that style worth the price premium over, for example, a Tuscon Plug-in Hybrid? The loaded Limited version starts at $44,760.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qIKgK0JItyuTVKD8ShvMMtBRzyL4W5RKKa2ypxClFd50MSWVANwImxa20FXTvWhk