BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/26/09 8:30 a.m.

I am usually pretty up to speed on most things tech, I am amazed at how long it took for me to even hear about this. I myself am an online racer (mostly GTR, GTL and GTR2). I've avoided Gran Turismo 5, even though I have the PS3 ready. The wife is fine with me playing games, but will not allow a giant seat contraption to take up residence in the living room. So I've left the racing for the computer. Racing on my computer is easy, I can attach my wheel to the desk and I am in a reasonably good driving position. Racing in my living room has been a bit of an issue.

That was until I found this....

Wheel Stand Pro

I'm not affiliated in any way, but I am probably going to spend some of my money with them. This looks to provide the best solution for living room racers. It gets good reviews, is reasonably priced and can be moved quickly and easily.

Anyone have any first hand experience?

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
3/26/09 9:53 a.m.

It doesn't look sturdy enough to work well with force-feedback wheels.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
3/26/09 10:56 a.m.

loooks cool, but I think I could make something for a lot less cheaper, a freakin laptop stand could work just as well. $25 at wal-mart. One of my summer projects is going to be building a nice small setup that I can dismantle easily

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
3/26/09 11:10 a.m.

I still wouldn't want it in the living room. Let the wife watch the all the chick shows she wants on TV while I go racing somewhere else in the house w/o being bothered to turn it down. :)

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
3/26/09 11:10 a.m.
xci_ed6 wrote: It doesn't look sturdy enough to work well with force-feedback wheels.

Agreed... or even a std wheel...

Funny.. .I have that same Ikea chair and have dreams of setting it up for driving games...

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
3/26/09 8:51 p.m.

It might be more stable than you would think because the weight of your feet and legs will be on the pedal base which is on top of the wheel stand base.

That said, I use a TV tray when I'm in front of the couch or otherwise bolt a wheel to the table my gaming TV sets on.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
3/26/09 9:04 p.m.

There used to be an ebay one that had arms that rested on either side of your legs on the couch. It worked well with force feedback wheels. You could push it forward and it would balance out of the way while you got another beer. I haven't checked to see if they are still around. $99 IIRC

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
3/26/09 9:21 p.m.

Looks nice, but not for $180 (yes, I have a G25). If I'm gonna spend that much money, I might as well spend the extra $120 for a full-on rig.

If these were half the price, I might consider it.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
3/26/09 11:15 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: I still wouldn't want it in the living room. Let the wife watch the all the chick shows she wants on TV while I go racing somewhere else in the house w/o being bothered to turn it down. :)

That's why all three of my brothers have in their homes what we've dubbed the "anti-family room". Computer, stereo, TV, beer fridge and alot of guitar stuff, all neatly compacted into a spare, off-limits room.

Fortunately for me, I'm single with no kids... My whole house is an anti-family room!!!

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
3/27/09 7:59 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: loooks cool, but I think I could make something for a lot less cheaper,

That's what I was thinking but then I realised that it would take me two years of bouncing design ideas around in my head and then probably $247 in materials.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
3/27/09 11:11 a.m.
grafmiata wrote: That's why all three of my brothers have in their homes what we've dubbed the "anti-family room". Computer, stereo, TV, beer fridge and alot of guitar stuff, all neatly compacted into a spare, off-limits room.

Before my oldest son was born, I created an anti-family room. The game room (which is the only thing upstairs in my house) has the pool table, my computer, TV, gaming system, decor my wife finds unacceptable for the rest of the house (e.g., car pics, actual traffic light, and Michelin memorabilia), etc. It was originally intended to be off-limits to the kids.

I took my older son up there once to let him roll the billiard balls around on the floor (colors and numbers--it was educational). Now it's his favorite room in the house, and I rarely go up there without him. Usually the first thing he wants to do is crank up The Who on the stereo and start the traffic signal flashing. Mrsbilly3 loves it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SwZc5rqlMRZrthGRQF99tiJ9n9B7PFdI0ejLtCWrd6M25mrAopVSdAddTXDr2dvs