brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/20/24 1:27 p.m.

I've had my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk for some years now and really like it: I love how easy it is to drive and park, and I love that it can actually do some decent off-roady stuff. The rear locker has come in handy on more than one occasion. However, it's to the point where I want to be able to tow more and when my wife and I go out climbing and camping we absolutely max out the space available and have to Tetris everything together to pack. That's annoying.

In the next 6-10 months I'll be looking to replace the Jeep. I'm a contractor and will be using this to show to up to job sites so I can't have anything too old OR too flashy; it will also be used for work so it will absolutely haul tools, material, etc. 

I'd like something that's good off road. Locking rear diff is a must; even though the vast majority of the time is spent on pavement, I enjoy going places with limited traction. I also want something that's legitimately a nice place to be inside, as I spend a fair amount of time driving around the state for work -- here it's worth noting that I'm a bigger person (mostly retired semi-pro weightlifter). Adaptive Cruise Control is pretty much a necessity: I've had that on a couple rentals and it's been quite nice. Towing is a priority: My enclosed trailer weighs about 3,700lb and my track car another 2,200. 6k lb towing capacity is a minimum. 

I kind of also want something as small as possible that fits the crtieria: The easier to drive and park, the better. This effectively rules out the Grand Cherokee L, etc. 

Budget... somewhere around 60k, I guess? 

Some options I've considered:

* New Land Cruiser. Decent inside, solid off-road chops, tows 6k lb. Good fuel economy. On the downside, the rear seats don't fold flat and 6k lb tow is a bare minimum.

* New 4Runner. Would be great off-road with the right configuration. Potentially cheaper than a Land Cruiser. However, still only 6k lb tow and I'm not sure it's a great interior (though it's not been officially revealed yet). 

* 2022+ Defender 110, would buy used. Excellent tow capacity, good off-road chops when configured properly. Acceptable fuel economy. Downsides are depreciation, uncertain reliability (though so far I've heard good things), and it may be difficult to find the right vehicle with the tow package and locking diff. 

* Wildcard: Ineos Grenadier. I drove one of these at Overland this year and was amazed. Towing capacity and off-road chops are both excellent. I adore the interior layout, though knee room is tighter than I'd like. No ACC. British car with a German powerplant, assembled in France, and a very poor dealer network...WCGW?

Is there anything I'm missing? Anything I should consider? 

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
6/20/24 1:53 p.m.

Maybe more soft-roader then what you are looking for, but I believe the new Nissan Pathfinder Rock Creek has a 6K tow rating and adaptive CC. It doesn't have a locking diff (only limited) but has the 360 view camera system if that is of use.  

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
6/20/24 2:07 p.m.

why not another jeep?  The GC long feels like it would fit the bill.  

*edit* I forgot the "l" for the 3rd row version.

brandonsmash
6/20/24 2:55 p.m.

The only way the Grand Cherokee tows enough is in the L model, which is just longer than I'd like. My parking lot at work is tight and it's already a challenge to squeeze in and out and I'd like to minimize the hassle where possible. 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
6/20/24 4:14 p.m.

its a bit more than you want to spend and the off road chomps might be a bit compromised but the x5 tows 7200 pounds.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/20/24 4:21 p.m.

In reply to brandonsmash :

Does it have to be an SUV? What about a medium truck as in Ranger, Frontier, Tacoma?

Add some lockable bed coverage such as strong tonneau or a full fiberglass topper and your pretty close to a 2 row SUV with a cargo hold that can only be accessed from the rear tailgate. 

How often in your suv do you actually fold the rear seat?  

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/20/24 4:35 p.m.

In reply to brandonsmash :

I think the answer you're looking for is from brand you're writing off.

the Lexus GX550 overtrail is what you're looking for based upon size requirements, rear locker and towing capacity(9000 lbs).

everything you like about the Land cruiser in a similarly priced vehicle to it, that tows way more and it's cheaper than a Grenadier. 

With how much 1/2 ton pickups cost, this brand issue shouldn't be a thing, but I can understand why it might be off the list for you.

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
6/20/24 5:19 p.m.

I figured the new Defender and LC were considered pretty flashy to be honest.

If you can show up to work in a mostly new Defender then a 6 year old G550 might be okay too lmao. Hey it won't depreciate much and they have locking front, center and rear diffs lol. 

Too bad the new Broncos and 4Runners have a low tow capacity. 

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
6/20/24 5:25 p.m.

The rear locker is going to be hard to get, while still having a decent tow rating and a nice interior.  I'm waiting to see how much a 4Runner trail hunter costs but considering the tacoma trail hunter is $64k, the 4Runner will be at least that much too...

brandonsmash
6/20/24 5:28 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I already have trucks for work. I really like the form factor of an suv, especially because I have a lockable cargo area that's the height of the vehicle. 

The back seat in my Jeep is folded down a good 95% of the time; I use that cargo area a ton. I could sort of do a truck with a camper shell but then I'd lose the ability to pass through longer items and I like the unitary cargo space. 

6/20/24 6:14 p.m.
yupididit said:

If you can show up to work in a mostly new Defender then a 6 year old G550 might be okay too lmao. Hey it won't depreciate much and they have locking front, center and rear diffs lol. 

The GX550 is the brand new one, the 2010-2023 GX460, which is what you're referring to at 6 years old, did not ever offer a front or rear locker, and the tow capacity tops out at 6500lbs.

I personally have a GX460, but it's not what's being asked for here because of the rear locker requirement and the tow capacity isn't quite enough for what OP wants.

and I don't disagree that the LR and Grenadier are flashy, but I have seen that the Lexus badge makes people believe something is way more expensive than it is.

brandonsmash
6/20/24 7:54 p.m.

Huh, the GX550 is an interesting one. That might be worth investigating. I don't want to come off as "my company is charging you too much" but I also don't want to present as "we do budget work." I know that the standard for contractors is a tricked-out 2500 truck, but honestly those are kind of worthless to me: We have HD work trucks and vans, sure, but they're strictly utilitarian and not something I want to drive around. Also, for general driving and parking pickups are just too long. 

ETA: Yeah, the GX550 really looks nice! In Overtrail guise it's about 5k more than the LC but tows 50% more. That's huge. With only a 6k tow rating my trailer and car would be right at the limit; this would give me a decent margin. This definitely merits consideration. 

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
6/21/24 6:56 a.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:
yupididit said:

The GX550 is the brand new one, the 2010-2023 GX460, which is what you're referring to at 6 years old, did not ever offer a front or rear locker, and the tow capacity tops out at 6500lbs.

I personally have a GX460, but it's not what's being asked for here because of the rear locker requirement and the tow capacity isn't quite enough for what OP wants.

and I don't disagree that the LR and Grenadier are flashy, but I have seen that the Lexus badge makes people believe something is way more expensive than it is.

G550 = Mercedes G Wagon

Picture is from a fellow GRM member

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
6/21/24 7:01 a.m.

I really like a Defender 110, but that new GX gets my vote.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/21/24 7:51 a.m.

flyer here.   A ford ranger with a cap is nearly the same width and only 10 inches longer than a gx550. 

can be had with locker and various off road trims.  

6/21/24 9:27 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Never in a million years would I have believed you were referring to a G wagon...

brandonsmash
6/21/24 12:27 p.m.

Y 'all make a really strong case for the GX: That really does tick all the boxes. Here in the next few weeks I'll try to find one to test drive. 

I was talking about it to my wife last night. I feel that her vote would be for the Overtrail+ model -- 8k more expensive, but massaging seats. *sigh* 

Really the only thing about the Overtrail+ version is that it gets the kick-to-open hatch, which would be huge. I am constantly (on a near-daily basis) carrying large things to put in the hatch of my Jeep and it's super annoying to have to set the things down and fumble for the fob. 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
6/21/24 2:07 p.m.
brandonsmash said:

Y 'all make a really strong case for the GX: That really does tick all the boxes. Here in the next few weeks I'll try to find one to test drive. 

I was talking about it to my wife last night. I feel that her vote would be for the Overtrail+ model -- 8k more expensive, but massaging seats. *sigh* 

Really the only thing about the Overtrail+ version is that it gets the kick-to-open hatch, which would be huge. I am constantly (on a near-daily basis) carrying large things to put in the hatch of my Jeep and it's super annoying to have to set the things down and fumble for the fob. 

I've had the kick open feature now on 4 different cars across 3 different german brands and it has never been reliable enough to use repeatedly.  In almost every case, the ability to push a button on the back door of the vehicle or push the button on the remote is easier than struggling to kick just right to get it to register.  

6/21/24 2:29 p.m.

the GX550 should have an ability to walk up and open the hatch without pulling the key out of your pocket.

my 2013 Gx460 has lock and unlock buttons on the rear swing gate that I walk up press unlock and then open the gate. Next time i swing by the dealer I'll see if the GX550 has these.

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
6/21/24 3:27 p.m.

GX550 and new Tundras are having serious issues with the motor.  As in, Kaboom! issues.  Something you should look into carefully before buying one...

brandonsmash
6/21/24 4:15 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

My Jeep has a double-click fob button to open the hatch. This works most of the time and is useful. However, there are lots of times when I'm carrying a load with both hands and have to set the load down to pull the fob out of my pocket or to hit the button on the hatch that should open the hatch and, again, does so most of the time. However, either of these scenarios involves me setting the load down and picking it back up. 

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
6/21/24 11:10 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to yupididit :

Never in a million years would I have believed you were referring to a G wagon...

Why not? They meet almost all his requirements. Except being "not flashy" lol

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
6/22/24 12:35 a.m.

I'm not an off road person, nor see the excitement in such adventures, so we went explorer st. I mean 12.5 1/4's@5000# with a tune and intercooler. Handles well for what it is. Returns 20mpg on 93, 17-18 on E40. Nothing but oil changes, a trans spill and fill with a 10r80 filter, and a few air filters. 64k so far and just about need to replace the OE tires.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zZV8EVL38s8hjRF4CHKqVHN5wkPNHblmyIJ2fdJzsZtS5Ry8AUXYWCv3PkU8KpWA