rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/26/23 7:44 p.m.

In the middle of replacing some bushings on my Subaru, and came across a few that were undersized slightly, and weren't an interference press fit.

The difference seems to be around 0.06mm undersize in diameter, or 0.03mm per side.  It's enough to let the bushing slide around slightly.  However, it got me thinking that this small distance is likely a potential application for a threadlocker or other retaining compound.

I've sent an email to the manufacturer, but curious if anyone's run into this before or tried a retaining compound on a slip fit bushing?  Any other techniques or tips I'm missing?

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/26/23 8:07 p.m.

Pretty sure there's a reason that Loctite 640 is known around here as "Gleaner Glue"

wae
wae PowerDork
12/26/23 8:27 p.m.

I used some Loctite 660 on a wheel bearing/knuckle that had a tiny bit of slop in it.  So far it seems to be working.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
12/26/23 8:33 p.m.

Retaining compound should work.  You can also try the old toolmakers trick of using a pointed punch to put a few dimples around the OD, I would suggest in 120 degree increments and at least 4 per line.  

The dimples work because when they drive INTO the sleeve the metal around the sleeve is displaced to the OD.  So you can add a few thou to an OD through that method to get your interference fit back.  Then use retaining compound to make sure it doesnt go anywhere.  

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/27/23 10:28 a.m.

I personally wouldn't use that bushing if it didn't fit as well as OEM. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
12/27/23 11:16 a.m.

Remeasure. I have a feeling it's closer than what you think to spec.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/27/23 11:45 a.m.

Loctite sleeve retainer. I've used it to sleeve master cylinders many times.

rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/27/23 1:19 p.m.

Thanks all for the advice/experience!  

I had found this guide on Loctite's website as a decision guide (page 16), and found some Loctite 638 that could get here overnight on a bezos bus.

Retaining Guide for Cylindrical Assemblies

93gsxturbo, I had considered a redneck form of staking the bushing similar to what we do with bearings in aerospace, but I didn't want to deform the arm if this didn't work out.

I did get a surprisingly quick response back from Whiteline (considering a holiday week), and they shared the technical drawing for the bushing.  Looks like their manufacturing spec was 40.0 +/- .2mm.    I need to double check some measurements on the other side to ensure I didn't do something stupid like deform the arm, but there's no way a 39.8mm bushing would press into the arm I've already removed the OEM bushings on:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sT33oqVVX6bsEXxEbyX2HMfcT6sDIyo4oq2uxb3KEM0E9SEqF8Px4lIt4IeXXUga