1 2
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/12/11 9:23 p.m.

David and I are here running with the NARRA gang this weekend. David is running our new long-termer: A Subaru originally built by the company as a SEMA show car. I'm sure we'll see pix soon. He's at the same hotel, but were both whipped.

I'm driving A Dodge Viper ACR-X in the Viper Cup series. It has a 640hp V10 and Michelin slicks that could make you rethink your religion.

More real pics, and some video tomorrow. It'll probably be late for the vids because the upload speed ain't exactly fast from here, but we'll do what we can. I'm on track at 11 tomorrow morning for the first time. Stay attuned to strange disturbances in the force.

jg

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/12/11 9:34 p.m.

MMMM Viper. Love me some torque.

Lucky bas...Uhm, Nice person who it getting us photos and video.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
5/12/11 9:36 p.m.

Tell us how how that beast is to drive! I'm thinking acceleration is in the "warp"-"gone to plaid" range.

JG Pasterjak
5/12/11 9:49 p.m.

Last time I drove Sebring was last August in a Cooper S. It totally had an aftermarket pulley, but I have a sneaky suspicion this one will be faster.

Speaking of videos, at some point we'll be sitting down and interviewing Gary Johnson from the ACR division. For those of you who don't know, we first met Gary when he approached us about doing something with a new car Dodge was developing called the Neon ACR. Wanted to know what we thought about it.

If anyone has any questions, post here and I'll try to work them in.

jg

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
5/12/11 11:25 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak:

Wait.....

The last time you drove Sebring was in a MINI? Now, you're doing it in a Viper? In competition?

Hey, it's a dream gig and I envy you, but, please be careful out there.

And post pics!

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
5/13/11 9:23 a.m.

How many entries are there ?

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
5/13/11 10:40 a.m.

Man, I really hate you guys....

Duke
Duke SuperDork
5/13/11 10:54 a.m.

OK, this is why you put up with all the other bull - you get to live the rock'n'roll lifestyle sometimes! Do well and stay in one piece.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
5/13/11 11:24 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: David and I are here running with the NARRA gang this weekend. David is running our new long-termer: A Subaru originally built by the company as a SEMA show car. I'm sure we'll see pix soon. He's at the same hotel, but were both whipped. I'm driving A Dodge Viper ACR-X in the Viper Cup series. It has a 640hp V10 and Michelin slicks that could make you rethink your religion. More real pics, and some video tomorrow. It'll probably be late for the vids because the upload speed ain't exactly fast from here, but we'll do what we can. I'm on track at 11 tomorrow morning for the first time. Stay attuned to strange disturbances in the force. jg

Vipers are great.. Is that a new Dodge Mini truck ?

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
5/13/11 11:49 a.m.

Have fun! Looks like a blast.

nderwater
nderwater Dork
5/13/11 12:51 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: I'm driving A Dodge Viper ACR-X in the Viper Cup series...

If I had raced a Viper with my name on it, I would have the photo blown up poster size on the wall of my office in a heartbeat.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
5/13/11 1:57 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Man, I really hate you guys....

Don't hate us all...many of us are still in the office on this beautiful Friday afternoon.

Be safe down there, JG!

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/13/11 2:25 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: Don't hate us all...many of us are still in the office on this beautiful Friday afternoon.

Yeah, J.G. can't surf Craigslist or Ebay for that elusive part he MUST have now! We are the lucky ones my friend. :)

nderwater
nderwater Dork
5/13/11 2:41 p.m.

So how exactly did a GRM liveried Viper come about, anyway? You guys going 'research' for an upcoming magazine series?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/13/11 2:49 p.m.

I think this is great I wish you a safe and profitable time with hopefully a chance to stand on the podium.

Am I weird for wanting specs on that little Japanese Kei truck?

iceracer
iceracer Dork
5/13/11 5:34 p.m.

Oh, I thought maybe it was a Dodge/Fiat, You know, to go along with the Vipers.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/13/11 6:56 p.m.

The little truck is out of the Lux Performance stable. Cindi and Fred Lux manage the Viper that JG is driving this weekend, and I'll get some details.

And yeah, we're having a good time with NARRA. Everyone's been nice, and this evening's storm waited just until we entered the hotel. JG shot a bunch of video, and I have taken more than 500 photos. I just found my card reader, so I'll post some teasers soon.

David S. Wallens
5/13/11 7:01 p.m.

And my ride this weekend: Subaru's SEMA car from 2009. It's basically a turbo/six-speed Legacy GT.

David S. Wallens
5/13/11 7:04 p.m.

Setup shot from this evening's photo shoot. Basically we have Vipers from hot to really hot. I think that's JG's shoulder in the lower corner, too.

JG Pasterjak
5/13/11 7:38 p.m.

Here's a small gallery of the day's fun:

JG's Photobucket

And here's a few peeks:

JG Pasterjak
5/13/11 7:50 p.m.

I'm working on some video from today, but I'm also going to fall asleep soon whether I like it or not.

Long story short. The ACR-X, while decidedly priced out of the "grassroots" segment, very much embodies the spirit of our world. The ACR guys—some of whom we've known since they first showed us the Neon ACR—really understand that there are folks out there who are a little more hardcore than the average customer, and they're happy to provide products for them. When you think "Factory prepped race car," your mind usually goes straight to Germany. But there are a few guys in GT3s who got to see my taillights today that may want to send some respect to Michigan.

As for the car, it's pretty awesome (duh). My lines are sloppy, but I'm realizing that that's mostly because Sebring is a very different track in a truly fast car. Turn 1 is usually a light touch of the brakes and a quick downshift. In this car it's a serious lean on the brakes as you bring it down from about 135mph to a more manageable speed.

What's not as intimidating as I'd expected is the power. I know that sounds weird for a 640hp car, but the delivery is so linear that it never really "hits" and upsets the balance of the car.

Cindi Lux, who is providing support for Dodge's "guest" cars (quick plug for Lux Performance Group) told me to think of the Viper as a big MX-5 Cup car, and she was absolutely right. The steering doesn't provide a ton of feedback, but the chassis does. You drive it with slow hands and a sensitive butt.

So its crazy fast, but not as intimidating as I thought it would be. It's downright benign in some respects.

What is a little intimidating is the fact that Viper Cup races feature standing starts. And I'll probably be right in the middle of the pack somewhere. Yikes...

jg

David S. Wallens
5/13/11 7:55 p.m.

Yeah, I think it will be an early night tonight. It might be snowing in some parts of the country, but it's well into the 90s in Florida right now. On the plus side, the Subaru has good a/c.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
5/13/11 9:23 p.m.

life is rough for you guys :)

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/14/11 8:56 a.m.

Kill more bugs!

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
5/14/11 10:07 a.m.

good luck, and be sure to keep the front ahead of the back!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eNK8GEyFnfTrfrfStBMftXrdSkE3316Vq5O336lvdwEHETqrY0r8lQoz4kaSOG5M