1 2
OSULemon
OSULemon New Reader
9/18/13 2:51 p.m.

Posted about a Miata the other day, that fell through. Now looking at a '94 Integra GSR with a fully built motor. Talked him down to $4900, and it looks pretty clean. My brother wants it bad...he's driving a boosted '99 LS and is practically salivating to get his hands on it.

I guess my question is, will I be disappointed that I didn't get a Civic ten years newer for the same price? I like my brother's Integra, but 10 years is a large gap. Will the smile per mile factor make up for it?

Also, it has to not break down on me...

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3987585861.html

http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?p=48796138#post48796138

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
9/18/13 3:05 p.m.

Wait, it's a "fully built motor" with the stock cast exhaust manifold?

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
9/18/13 3:05 p.m.

A few things.

• Yes, a 90's Integra is a much better car than a 04 Civic. By a long shot. Even when stock.
  • That doesn't look like a GSR, originally at least. I want to say they all came with leather standard. Probably just has an engine swap. That makes me wonder what else the seller is misrepresenting.
  • I'd call that shop that did some of the build and verify. Plus do the usual compression & leak-down tests before purchasing. "Built" motors make me suspicious by default.
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/18/13 3:11 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Wait, it's a "fully built motor" with the stock cast exhaust manifold?

It's built for boost. I'd imagine that he didn't want to waste money on a header when a turbo manifold is what he really needed.

That could very well be a GSR. I've been in several with cloth interior.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/18/13 3:15 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Wait, it's a "fully built motor" with the stock cast exhaust manifold?

In later post he mentions the engine was built to eventually get boosted, hence the stock manifold and cams. Does seem kinda odd...

I can understand his frustration. At least here in the rust-belt, it seems a reasonably clean, non-rusty Integra is a $5K car all day long.

OSULemon
OSULemon New Reader
9/18/13 3:36 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
In later post he mentions the engine was built to eventually get boosted, hence the stock manifold and cams. Does seem kinda odd... I can understand his frustration. At least here in the rust-belt, it seems a reasonably clean, non-rusty Integra is a $5K car all day long.

I don't mind paying a little extra if it looks like a solid car. I just don't want to re-sell it down the road and discover nobody wants to give me more than 2k for it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/18/13 3:39 p.m.

It's a Honda. Someone will give you more than $2k for it unless it's a total rusted out hulk.

Honestly you could part that thing out and break pretty much even if it turns out to be a pile in 6 months.

OSULemon
OSULemon New Reader
9/18/13 3:41 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: It's a Honda. Someone will give you more than $2k for it unless it's a total rusted out hulk. Honestly you could part that thing out and break pretty much even if it turns out to be a pile in 6 months.

That was my thinking. It would be easier if there were more bolt on parts, but it looks like the majority of the money is in the motor (which is good), but bad for parting out.

The suspension might get $500 ($1800 new), the engine might go for a grand or 1500, etc...I bet I could break even at least.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/18/13 3:44 p.m.

The ONLY thing about that car that i'd personally find a turn off is that i'm not personally real interested in another turbo Honda, so a lot of the engine build is rather useless to me.

I don't know that i'd buy it or advise anyone to buy it unless they wanted to boost it. That motor will not last as long as an OEM motor. The rings will wear faster, unless it's set up looser than OEM, in which case it'll probably be pretty noisy in winter and blah blah blah.

Just something to think about. If he's just looking for a fun commuter to put on a bunch of miles for cheap long term, this isn't the car.

If he's looking for a project to make power on, this IS a good start.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
9/18/13 3:46 p.m.
OSULemon wrote: Now looking at a '94 Integra GSR with a fully built motor... Also, it has to not break down on me...

Those two lines back to back sound a bit scary unless you REALLY trust the quality of the parts used and the machine shop.

If it were the original, unrebuilt engine, and I were looking for a DD, I'd be very interested - although I'd also check it over VERY carefully.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/13 3:48 p.m.

You could have a so much more interesting car for the same money. I wouldn't buy that Integra (says a former GSR sedan owner, with cloth).

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/18/13 3:51 p.m.

To be fair to the current GSR owner, if that motor was assembled properly (and it's hard to berkeley up a B-series), it'll run just fine on stock electronics. Built in this case doesn't mean "wildly different from stock," just "stronger."

Javelin
9/18/13 3:51 p.m.

Seriously though, better cars for the money.

OSULemon
OSULemon New Reader
9/18/13 3:54 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: The ONLY thing about that car that i'd personally find a turn off is that i'm not personally real interested in another turbo Honda, so a lot of the engine build is rather useless to me. I don't know that i'd buy it or advise anyone to buy it unless they wanted to boost it. That motor will not last as long as an OEM motor. The rings will wear faster, unless it's set up looser than OEM, in which case it'll probably be pretty noisy in winter and blah blah blah. Just something to think about. If he's just looking for a fun commuter to put on a bunch of miles for cheap long term, this isn't the car. If he's looking for a project to make power on, this IS a good start.

He absolutely is looking to boost it. He's already driving a boosted Integra, but it's on a stock engine.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/18/13 3:54 p.m.

Then game on. Make that sucker cry!

OSULemon
OSULemon New Reader
9/18/13 3:57 p.m.

I get that the motor isn't "built," it's just "prepped," per se. I drive less than 2 miles to work every day, so if it breaks down, I'll get my brother to come fix it. That also means I would put less than 1000 miles a month on it. So hopefully it works out...

If not, he wants to buy it from me anyway, so there's that fallback.

OSULemon
OSULemon New Reader
9/18/13 4:00 p.m.

Just bought a VIN report, everything looks good. No accidents or anything funky. Virginia car since '07, looks like.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
9/18/13 4:05 p.m.

I stand corrected on the cloth interior.

Javelin
9/18/13 4:09 p.m.

Holy crap, a Saleen Explorer XP8!!

Seriously nice fox Mustang

I've stumbled on Jag's, RSX's, Mustang V8's, LS1 Camarobirds, and everything else under the sun. I'd run away from that sketchy Integra.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/18/13 4:09 p.m.

I don't understand why the Integra is sketchy.

Especially when you post an old ragged out hideous Exploder, and then a Mustang that's had more engine work done to it than this Integra.

Javelin
9/18/13 4:10 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Seriously though, better cars for the money.

You did see this, yes?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/18/13 4:11 p.m.

.... he wants something to boost, and is looking for bang for the buck. Boosting that RSX will be hideously expensive compared to the Teggy at this point.

Javelin
9/18/13 4:19 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Sorry, not sketchy, just way overpriced. There's much cleaner built Hondas for less: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4067776112.html

Agreed on the hideousness of the XP8 Exploder, but those are rare as all get out and had killer options like a blower and a real carbon fiber hood. I haven't seen one for sale ever.

As for boosting, why not buy one already done?

http://joplin.craigslist.org/cto/3989375415.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3966931070.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3999954543.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3993841809.html

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/18/13 4:23 p.m.

The Prelude is not built for boost.

The Integras are both awful. First one appears to have been subjected to 21psi on a stock motor but don't worry, it hasn't been driven hard. 2nd one is rusty and has utterly destroyed paint.

I'll take that Grand National, though!

Javelin
9/18/13 4:24 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

I'd have a hard time picking between the GN and the Shelby Charger.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J2WclgjuiHg7ef1lqscSjN20ClirDthmVHWj9a5pngfxGgnN0f6cydX41vS3oVqI