1 2 3
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/23 8:34 p.m.

Maybe I'm not searching the right terms.  I'm looking for a cutaway drawing of an 83 Corolla Wagon.  You know, the ones with the outline of the car with a generic person sitting in it.  Maybe with dimensions for legroom and headroom?

Like if you sawed the side of the car off and you're looking at a cross section.  I want to import it into a CAD program to look at the feasibility of making the Corolla mid-engine.

Kind of like this, but not an Anglia.  Am I using the right terms?  Do Japanese companies call it something different?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
4/11/23 8:40 p.m.

Like this? 

Blueprints > Cars > Toyota > Toyota Corolla 1.3 4-Door (1980)

I use the term "section" or "cross section" usually, but I'm sure they are called all kinds of different things.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
4/11/23 8:48 p.m.

Elevation view?  Cross Section is common.

4/11/23 8:50 p.m.

Elevation/Cross Section, yes.

4/11/23 8:51 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Yes, like that, but I'm told the sedan and wagon are totally different animals.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
4/11/23 8:51 p.m.

"cross section" or plain "section view"

Road & Track may have done one if there's a review posted online.

4/11/23 8:55 p.m.

I'm searching and I'm getting this:  e72 corolla wagon cutaway drawing - Google Search

4/11/23 8:59 p.m.
4/11/23 9:02 p.m.
j_tso
j_tso Dork
4/11/23 9:09 p.m.

"blueprint" also gets what you need, but only turned up ones for 70s Corollas.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
4/11/23 9:25 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

Yes, like that, but I'm told the sedan and wagon are totally different animals.

Not "totally" but notably different.

I have an 81 wagon, which is the same body, and the TE72 (that's what I believe the designation is) went from 80 - 84.

How about engineering drawing blueprint?

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
4/11/23 9:26 p.m.

Worst case, if you can't find it searching I bet if you bought the KLM unibody dimensions book from that year, you'd be able to find dimensions on what you are looking for.

Those used to be kind of the Bible, as it were, for doing work on a frame rack with tram gauges, to pull stuff straight after a collision. They should have every conceivable dimension you may need... just not in an easily digested format, but has way more useful information inside of it.   And they're usually like $10-15 bucks used, as they're obviously not in high demand anymore. 

As an example...

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
4/11/23 10:11 p.m.

I searched

“1981 corolla estate line drawing” and got . . .

https://alldrawings.ru/en/pictures/item/toyota-cressida-dx-estate-1981-toyota-drawings-dimensions-pictures-of-the-car

A site full of drawings.

I like the KLM book idea

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/23 10:58 p.m.

Try https://www.the-blueprints.com. 

I also like the R&T back issue hunt. Heck, try contacting the magazine. I might have an in, I'll ping him. 

4/12/23 10:06 a.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Yeah, any help on designations would be great as well.  I've seen KE72, KE74, TE72... I'm confused.

Only thing I really know is that the wagons stayed on the e70 platform in some markets until 1987 while the sedans and hatchbacks went to the e80 series around 1980.

olpro
olpro Reader
4/12/23 10:26 a.m.

The industry term is "package drawing". And the wagon would be built on the same drivetrain as the sedan.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
4/12/23 6:18 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Yeah, any help on designations would be great as well.  I've seen KE72, KE74, TE72... I'm confused.

The more I looked the more confusered it gotted. So I conned myself into believing TE72 IS IT. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/23 6:42 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Only thing I really know is that the wagons stayed on the e70 platform in some markets until 1987 while the sedans and hatchbacks went to the e80 series around 1980.

First letter is the engine, second letter is the chassis, first number is the generation, second number is the submodel.

TE72 would be a 7th-generation Corolla with a T-family engine, AE86 is an 8th generation Corolla with an A-family engine, so on and such as.

..It does fall apart when the engines got two letters (like the JZA80 Supra) and the chassis went past nine generations (ZZE120 Corollas...)

4/12/23 10:32 p.m.
olpro said:

The industry term is "package drawing". And the wagon would be built on the same drivetrain as the sedan.

Thanks for that term.  With the Corollas by 1983, the sedan, hatch, and coupe were on the E80 and all FWD.  The wagon and SR5 stayed on the E70 and was RWD

83 Corolla FWD:

Why nostalgia for the 1983–87 E80 Corolla might be justified - Hagerty Media

83 Corolla Wagon, RWD:

File:1980-1983 Toyota Corolla (KE70) station wagon 01.jpg

4/12/23 10:35 p.m.

Grrr.  Still didn't turn up anything.

1983 corolla wagon package drawing - Google Search

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/13/23 1:47 a.m.

I know it's not a wagon...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/23 11:38 a.m.

I used a similar technique to do a gut check on the ND V8 years ago. Mazda posted the kind of picture you're looking for in their marketing.

I added in an LS3 and T56 after some careful scaling.

That's how we knew the steering rack was going to need to be replaced before we pulled the engine from the car. And in one of my proudest personal achievements, R&D did one of their cutaways of the car after they tested it. I loved those drawings as a kid, even did a card game in the 80s that involved tracing them by hand to make the cards.

FYI, the process involved a number of shots of the car from a long distance away using a long lens. I can't remember what measurements we had to provide.

Anyhow, you could probably accomplish what you need with a side shot of the car and a similar shot of the drivetrain. The latter is likely to be the hard one to find. A FWD drivetrain should be fairly easy to locate due to the wheel location being visible from outside the car, you just have to get the scaling right.

I'm still waiting to hear back from my R&T contact, he's out of the office until next week.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
4/13/23 12:06 p.m.

When I had a full size vinyl banner printed out years ago I used the wheelbase since it was already known as my Data points 

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/13/23 12:20 p.m.

Would a proper OEM Shop Manual have the drawings? You could search the internet and that swap meet at Carlisle.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
4/13/23 12:39 p.m.
Rons said:

Would a proper OEM Shop Manual have the drawings? You could search the internet and that swap meet at Carlisle.

Do OEM shop manuals still  have  crash repair data ?  

The KLM frame books  are pretty detailed because they are used for Body shops to measure on a frame rack ,

I bought about a dozen of them at the swap meet for $100 for all of them .   I pulled the VW and Porsche pages out  and sold the rest  later in the day to get my money back , 

Probably someone on Ebay or Esty sell  them by the page .

I am not sure if they are printed anymore , they may all be digital

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PTyIr6pOwJr9RmBr7eODRqdiQv5f31hMWZOHfariXTP5M9QzNGbk7ncc6yR8r6lp