volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
1/30/15 1:55 p.m.

It's for my dad, for his birthday, and for his boat (since suicide knobs are technically illegal for on-road use). He's an avid hunter/ fisherman, and I'd like to find him a spinner knob with a fish or deer on it. I checked Amazon, eBay, and etsy and came up blank, other than one with a shark, which isn't quite what I was going for. Any ideas where I could find something like this?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
1/30/15 1:55 p.m.

Make one?

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
1/30/15 1:57 p.m.

Funny I'm an avoid hunter too

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/30/15 2:07 p.m.

?

Found these through google, but not much other in the novelty sense.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
1/30/15 2:16 p.m.

Maybe you could fiND a blank wooden one and then find someone to Woodburn a picture on it, then apply some type of varnish to protect it? Just an idea

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/15 2:21 p.m.

I'm thinking you should look for an oblong one, paint it to look like a fishing lure and then put a mighty thick coat of varnish on it.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/30/15 2:32 p.m.

I picked up one at my local John Deere Implement dealer that's been on my lawn tractor for several years.

Nice thing about it is that it doesn't have long threaded bolts out the bottom to catch fingers.

Pretty sure it's this one...

http://www.amazon.com/John-Deere-Original-Equipment-TY26583/dp/B00CBVEQ3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422649952&sr=8-1&keywords=john+deere+spinner+knob

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
1/30/15 2:32 p.m.

"Breaking the law" [/Judas Priest]

You're going to have to try harder than that.

No laws against suicide knobs

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
1/30/15 2:47 p.m.

http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Steering-Wheel-Handle-Silver/dp/B007POF59U

Not sure they are actually illegal in Maryland, or most other states for that matter. Sure, it's always talked about their being illegal, but I've yet to see it in the laws or codes of states saying they are illegal.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
1/30/15 3:04 p.m.

So far we've had 2 people recommend things that were not what I asked for (And John Deere doesn't count, since it's not going on a John Deere), 2 people digressing onto the legality of suicide knobs, 3 people tell me to make one, and one smart ass remark.

Thanks, guys!

Edit: I see foxtrapper's link was actually to a suicide knob with a dolphin on it. That's...better than a shark, I guess. A bass would be perfect. My artistic skills were stunted somewhere between finger painting and crayons, so making one is not really an option.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
1/30/15 3:04 p.m.

You could also try searching for a 'necker knob', they used to be called that as well. After a quick look through Google Shopping it appears a lot of them have a clear plastic face with a picture inserted behind it - maybe you could pop the face off and then insert the picture of your choice.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/15 3:09 p.m.

On this forum if making or modifying something isn't an option, you should explicitly state that up-front

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
1/30/15 3:25 p.m.

To be fair I said have someone else do it for you, I was thinking just take it with you to a craftshow or somthing. Because I'm like you, I have no artistic talent at all.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UltraDork
1/30/15 4:06 p.m.

Any that look like this can be popped open and the picture replaced.

I have a really old one that the picture of the dudes girlfriend on the beach in the early 50's was crumbling inside. It looked perfect when I bought it but 2 days later it fell apart

And no they are not illegal anywhere. That is a really old urban legend. Medical supply places can usually get them for you since certain disabilities make driving without them difficult.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/30/15 8:38 p.m.

Sent you a PM via the board with an idea. Good luck

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
1/30/15 10:01 p.m.

You might be able to build a spinner with one of these, or contact them I would think they could direct you to someone who sell's spinners.

http://www.hotrodshiftknob.com/

Paul B

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
1/31/15 9:34 a.m.

I saw some that were shift knobs and was wondering if I could pop one onto a spinner assembly with just a shaft sticking out. Even if it were threaded, I could put some threadlocker on the threads so it wouldn't come off.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/31/15 10:57 a.m.

Pop it open and put your naked deer picture in. $8 @ Wal-Mart.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
1/31/15 11:09 a.m.

Ah, cool, look at this:

http://www.hotrodshiftknob.com/chrome-brody-knob-bracket-adapter/

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
1/31/15 11:11 a.m.

In reply to Donebrokeit:

Thanks!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners