1 2
GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
4/3/20 10:36 a.m.

Here's the link- 

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1948-crosley-vintage-race-car-roller.1179204/

I found it whilst lurking the H.A.M.B. boards for kicks and discovered the owners like 3 hours away. It ticks some odd boxes- it's a total mutt of a car with a 40 Ford frame and one of the smallest chassis I think I could fit in. I want it mostly because it's weird and unique but my problem is, I can feel the lenses in my head focusing but I'm not seeing a picture yet. I think I wanna pull the GRM "car is canvas, figger et out" kind of thing but I'm only *kinda* getting an idea of what to do with it. Any ideas? What would ya'll do with this if you bought it up?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/3/20 10:44 a.m.

Baby hemi. Big blower. Zoomies. Send it

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/20 11:25 a.m.

That already looks so much better than a regular Crosley.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/3/20 11:46 a.m.

Originally built between 48 and 52.   The performance engines then were Cadillac.  Most likely flathead but an OHV would have been possible.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/3/20 11:50 a.m.

Oldsmobile V8 would also work.  Are you looking for a certain era of hot rodding, or just something that is cool?

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/3/20 11:53 a.m.

I'm thinkin' Buick straight 8, just for the length.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
4/3/20 12:02 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Oldsmobile V8 would also work.  Are you looking for a certain era of hot rodding, or just something that is cool?

Just something cool. I see you guys all the time smashing things out from spares you have lying around, and im hoping that this will be the first time I get that frenetic "make it up as I go along" energy I've had with computer builds.

Which Olds v8?

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)  Said:

I'm thinkin' Buick straight 8, just for the length.

Hm, could be a neat idea. I missed out on a 1950 buick with one not too long ago, so I know SOME of their in's and outs. 

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
4/3/20 12:16 p.m.

I always like how the Olds rocket and the Buick nailheads look in these kinds of builds. Flatheads are too... and and SBC is too... and an LS is just way to much...

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/20 12:25 p.m.

truck LS with fenderwell headers and any random grill shell.  get a tunnel ram efi intake and stick the throttle body under an air cleaner so it kinda looks like there's a carb.  and lots of nitrous and slicks

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/3/20 12:26 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I don't know anything about them, but I always have thought they were neat.  Edit: Wow, they grew up to 345c.i.! The head was 35 inches long.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
4/3/20 1:17 p.m.

I would say if you wanted to stay period correct it would be a small block Chevy say any of the variants from 283 through 327. They would most likely fit in the frame. Single four barrel, dual quads or three twos, hot cam and collector exhaust.

Fladiver64 (Forum Supporter)
Fladiver64 (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/3/20 1:37 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Baby hemi. Big blower. Zoomies. Send it

This or , any of the early hemi's would look great and be close enough to period correct. 392 for inspiration

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
4/3/20 1:56 p.m.
pirate said:

I would say if you wanted to stay period correct it would be a small block Chevy say any of the variants from 283 through 327. They would most likely fit in the frame. Single four barrel, dual quads or three twos, hot cam and collector exhaust.

I don't care about "period correct" lmao though if there's any engine to start learning and gaining experience on, i'd probably be a 350.

Shadeux (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I don't know anything about them, but I always have thought they were neat.  Edit: Wow, they grew up to 345c.i.! The head was 35 inches long.

Off the back of my hand:

1. you want 1950 or later because you get (something close to) modern bearings.
  2. The smaller displacement engines have better bore/stroke combinations.
  3.  Their low RPM isn't due to the engine or siamese ports- the rods are massive and there's tons of reciprocating mass. Custom rods would go a LONG way but the fans ain't found anything yet.
  4.  Possibly one of the greatest-sounding engines of all time. 
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/3/20 2:08 p.m.

Anything hemi is expensive. That Crosley would flat scoot with a Chevy 292 straight 6. There is quite a bit of aftermarket to do pretty much whatever you want to it. 

The first Olds OHV v-8 I think was a 331c.i.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
4/3/20 2:10 p.m.

GMC Six.

Same displacement or better than a flathead.

You can actually buy speed parts.

Doesn't overheat like a flathead.

11GTCS
11GTCS New Reader
4/3/20 7:18 p.m.

471 Detroit diesel with a massive turbo?  Checks the 50’s and GRM boxes?

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
4/3/20 8:29 p.m.

I'd go with what you have, or what you know well. That's what hot rodding and drag racing was back in the days this thing was made.

If you want fast and easy the LS family is ubiquitous for a reason. Tons of support available if this is breaking new ground for you.

With no grille sides or fenders, you could run a pretty wide mod motor. Something like a DOHC 4.6 from an Aviator or something could probably be found pretty cheap, would sound rowdy, and would take a lot of boost if you wanted to really start with the rippin and the tearin.

I could see a turbo 4 being pretty cool too if you don't mind ruffling feathers. A boosted Ecotec, SR20, Duratec, or 4G63T or some Honda alphabet soup would offer plenty of motivation in a lightweight (ok maybe not the 4g63t), compact package.

A diesel might be an interesting choice too, but they'll likely be seen a certain way by certain types of people.

11GTCS
11GTCS New Reader
4/3/20 9:02 p.m.

Not a coal roller here by any means. Just thinking of the general weirdness of the Crosley with the unique sounds of 2 stroke Detroit.   That said, transmission choices would be limited at best. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/20 9:32 p.m.

Another vote for a Buick or Pontiac V8.  With no nose and longer wheelbase I'd look at something like these Topolino drag cars. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/3/20 9:51 p.m.

Just do an image search on "Crosley Altered."  There were plenty of them back in the day.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
4/3/20 11:20 p.m.

My first thought is, "that is not a race car, it's a jalopy".

Do you have any drag racing experience?

DO you know what class you want to race in?

That car doesn't have a cage so you would be limited to "real slow". 11.5 seconds is as fast as you can go with no cage for NHRA.

Some of the "Vintage" classes may have looser rules. A good smallblock with a single carb ought to get that into the mid 10's.

Do you want to just play race (3 or 4 events a year)

or would you want to go after points (race twice a month)(win money).

I was going to recommend just pop a smallblock in it, but it really needs a legal cage and box the frame.

Then it needs a lightened front end and some gears and maybe axles. You might want to narrow the rear axle. This is likely why it's for sale, it needs everything.

If you really want to go drag racing, you don't need a dedicated car. You can bracket race Sportsman class almost anything (even your mom's stationwagon) give that a try and see if the bug bites. Then buy or build a car. Don't build a car first and then discover your not digging the track.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
4/3/20 11:28 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

48-52 eliminates a small block chevy by 3 years. Same with a Hemi and a nail  head.  A straight 8 would be correct but is just too big. 
The early Cadillac would be right especially if you weld up a tubular intake manifold  with 3x2's  You could use a Cad / LaSall gearbox. ( Cad used them up to 1953 )    
I would cheat and used the Buick fined aluminum drum brakes. Especially since Speedway makes a new reproduction. 

Trent (Forum Supporter)
Trent (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/3/20 11:34 p.m.

The Studebaker 232 was introduced in 51 and was the most advanced V8 in America at the time.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
4/3/20 11:35 p.m.

Check with local vintage racing association for class rules before jumping in.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/4/20 12:02 a.m.

Do you even want to drag race? Because that would be a rad street car. Remember, the alley out back has no sanctioning body. devil

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oizk6081iCWFootI0dzbn7xpYmqYmAmmZjUjWC4nKnZMmOlOF4oqV2lVk2dNmM3D