Nis14
Nis14 New Reader
1/18/15 5:24 a.m.

Hi Guys,

So after a 5 year break from cars, I've started modding up a Genesis Coupe Base model. I've done the basic stuff already, bigger brakes, lsd, coilovers, thicker sway bars, braces etc...

I've been modifying cars since I was 16 years old. This car is probably the most streetable car I've modded so far. In younger and less wiser days, I use to rock super stiff coilovers and not bat an eye.

Recently, after the install of my coilovers (entry-level Stance SS)...I've been feeling nervious on the roads just driving normally. If I really think about it the coilovers are a improvement over base in terms of dampening, but I get really nervous about bumps on the roads throwing me, and the roads here in Seoul aren't that bad...

I'm wondering if its a psychological things or if I'm just getting too old for this :(

Funny thing is that when I push the car in the twisties ... I'm a lot more confident

Thoughts?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/18/15 6:31 a.m.

I feel the same way with the "custom" Ksports on the Forte. But after 2 summers on them, I no longer care as much. Granted, I have to ship the fronts to FEAL this coming week to get them rebuilt and revalved but hey.... there's tradeoffs everywhere.

To be honest, if it's a daily and not a competition car, I'd rather rock some good struts/shocks (Koni preferably) and some decent lowering springs (H&R's) and call it a day. The ride is better and the parts are better than most cheap coilovers by a long shot. NOw if I can just get my hands on some used Veloster front struts.......

kanaric
kanaric Dork
1/18/15 9:50 a.m.

I want to buy some aftermarket suspension packages and know nothing much about suspension but everything for the car I own is like BC coilovers type E36 M3 for stance nation people.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/18/15 5:32 p.m.
kanaric wrote: I want to buy some aftermarket suspension packages and know nothing much about suspension but everything for the car I own is like BC coilovers type E36 M3 for stance nation people.

You want to feel good about yours? Try finding suspension for 2010 Forte Sedans that don't suck.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/18/15 5:40 p.m.

The higher end BC stuff isn't bad and FEAL will redo them.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/18/15 5:50 p.m.

So you're not comfortable at normal speeds, but when you push it, you're comfortable? Sounds psychological.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
1/18/15 7:14 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: The higher end BC stuff isn't bad and FEAL will redo them.

Hmm interesting. Sounds like something I should make a thread for when i'm ready to buy again

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
1/18/15 8:16 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: So you're not comfortable at normal speeds, but when you push it, you're comfortable? Sounds psychological.

Ya, I was going to say that to the "bumps in the road throwing me" statement. I've never driven a car with stiff enough suspension that a bump would "throw" the car off the pavement, and I've been in my fair share of race cars...

Nis14
Nis14 New Reader
1/18/15 10:23 p.m.

The car is a weekend car, so it doesn't see many miles. Which in my case means I don't get to drive the car enough to get use to it.

It's weird, whenever I push the car, it feels smoother/in its element and then when I'm driving normally on public roads it feels high-strung. Like any little bump will alter the direction of the steering. This keeps on edge while driving and at times can get really tiresome.

The funny part is whenever I let other Gencoupe guys drive my car, they always comment on how smooth the suspension is...

This is quite a new phenomenon for me...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/15 7:06 a.m.

I run very hard coilovers, and I'm not worried I'll get thrown off on rough roads, but I'm worried I'll break something. On smooth roads I'm not worried about anything.

So FEAL rebuilds D2s/Ksports...think I'm gonna send mine to them when they get worn.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/19/15 7:18 a.m.

If the car is pulling over bumps/etc, are you tram-lining? It could be alignment related.

Are you talking about vertical jarring or about the car pulling in one direction or another on the road surface? If its along the surface, it more likely is an artifact of your alignment and/or tires.

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
1/19/15 7:19 a.m.
Nis14 wrote: It's weird, whenever I push the car, it feels smoother/in its element and then when I'm driving normally on public roads it feels high-strung. Like any little bump will alter the direction of the steering. This keeps on edge while driving and at times can get really tiresome.

Check your alignment, could be toe out at one end or the other.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
1/19/15 7:25 a.m.

I guess the only thing I can relate to there is that sometimes the stock suspension feels like it has more grip on bumpy roads just because it has more articulation and can keep the tires on the ground rather than skipping off of frost heaves and stuff.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
1/19/15 7:42 a.m.
Dashpot wrote:
Nis14 wrote: It's weird, whenever I push the car, it feels smoother/in its element and then when I'm driving normally on public roads it feels high-strung. Like any little bump will alter the direction of the steering. This keeps on edge while driving and at times can get really tiresome.
Check your alignment, could be toe out at one end or the other.

That was going to be my suggestion.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/15 8:06 a.m.

did you have them corner balanced or at least the camber and toe set to where you'd like after installation? An improper alignment can make a world of difference in terms of confidence in handling.

EDIT: And after reading further donw in the thread I see I'm not the only one who feels this way :cheers:

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
1/19/15 9:36 a.m.

Lowering the car could have changed the bump steer characteristics of the car, although I'm not sure how sensitive the genesis is to that.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
1/19/15 3:51 p.m.

It's the shock valving. I've experienced something similar with a few of the cheaper coilovers and running some race valved Konis on rough streets.

Felt great in corners and on track but sucked on regular streets with irregular surfaces. Most recently, I felt that way about my 06 Mini with Koni Sport Adjustable shocks on the street. The shock valving made that car feel too skittish on some of the rougher, grooved, concrete roads around me.

Definitely consider some Bilstein HD with some Eibach, H&R or similar lowering springs. Don't do the Bilstein Sports as their valving is usually terrible on rough surfaces.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
1/19/15 5:09 p.m.

Same here with regard to Koni Sports, stiff sidewall tires, and lightened car. Adjusting stiffness and air pressure can ease it up a bit. It bothers me with a passenger, but not when by myself. It's well worth it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/19/15 6:04 p.m.

I can understand. A stock Miata, or mildly modded Miata is 10x easier to hoon with on not-perfectly-smooth roads than one setup for STS/R, CSP, etc.

Nis14
Nis14 Reader
1/20/15 2:56 a.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: Felt great in corners and on track but sucked on regular streets with irregular surfaces. Most recently, I felt that way about my 06 Mini with Koni Sport Adjustable shocks on the street. The shock valving made that car feel too skittish on some of the rougher, grooved, concrete roads around me.

The car is aligned to factory specs and It's vertical jarring that really gets to me. AMG_RX7 nailed it on the head, the car is skittish

Thanks guys, I thought I was going to crazy.

Now I just gotta research ways to make it less skittish...

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
1/20/15 7:16 a.m.

In reply to Nis14:If you don't drive it hard on back roads, you may have went too stiff with the coilovers. You're not the first one to do it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HUnsEbTNt9Y4TzToJVzFz01Aq9cpvxvJ6ABhb3z1cafzNRCx5Pej7wfeF5ag2KMB