1 2
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/17/19 12:10 p.m.

Mine is a MSM, so between the overly rich factory tune and the gearing, I am happy if I get into the 20's and it take premium.

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
4/17/19 12:17 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

When the wheel is pointed 45 degrees to the right, I let go, it' pulls left.

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
4/17/19 12:25 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

My speed limit in town is 45, when my speedo is at 45, everyone is going the same speed (roughly). I know, E36 M3ty way to measure, but ye.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
4/17/19 12:27 p.m.

In reply to Catlas_Se7en :

You obviously don't live in Atlantacheeky

I bet you're on 195x65x14.  About 1.5 inches taller than stock and will throw off mileage calcultions.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/17/19 12:47 p.m.

In reply to Catlas_Se7en :

There are many GPS aps or speedometer aps that you can download to your phone for speed verification.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/19 12:50 p.m.
gunner said:

run a scan tool and make sure your fuel trims are in spec and your ecu doesnt think you are7 running lean when you are not, then make sure your o2 sensors are working and working correctly. The front one should bounce around a lot (in volts) and the rear one should be pretty steady(in volts). check for vacuum leaks, I use the smoke test as an excuse for a cigar(YMMV).

Edit, also change out the fuel filter unless you know it has been done recently

No OBD-II on a 1.6 Miata, but you can pull error codes using a paper clip. Do that and you may find a problem with something like that front O2 sensor. A bad O2 sensor or a bad ECU temperature sensor (which is NOT the same one that runs the gauge) would both cause rich running.

No rear O2 sensor on a 1.6 Miata.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/17/19 1:23 p.m.

Keith beat me to the suggestion of the temp sensor.   Seriously, 14-15 MPG is track mileage, as BoxHeadTim said. 

I drove a NA6 for years and always got 25+ on the street, even redlining every shift (you have to in order to keep up with minivans!).    When my temp sensor died, I was getting 20-ish MPG if I recall correctly.  I could see an alignment that bad and/or really sticky tires pulling that down another 2 or 3 MPG.   Make sure you follow the cable for the temp sensor, and ensure that it's actually got conductivity @ the ECU.  Mine had corroded a foot or two away from the temp sensor if I recall. 

I think (this was a few years ago) that my O2 sensor dying only knocked down my highway MPG by 1 or 2, and didn't really affect around-town, but I may be off.  Those OBD I systems only used the narrow band O2 in a very narrow window.

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
4/17/19 8:27 p.m.

Got the size, it's 185/60/14

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
4/17/19 8:27 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

Will try these suggestions

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/19 8:38 p.m.
Catlas_Se7en said:

Got the size, it's 185/60/14

That's the correct OEM size.

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/17/19 8:49 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Thanks for pointing that out. Duh. that fact was in the first sentence '1993'. my reading comprehension is going the way of my eyesight.

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
4/23/19 6:13 a.m.

So I tried a few things just involving shifting and my lead foot. This tank I'm around 24.6 mpg.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
4/23/19 7:15 a.m.

Bad coil pack or plug wire maybe, does not always throw a code

What did the plugs look like that came out of it?

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/23/19 10:01 a.m.
Catlas_Se7en said:

So I tried a few things just involving shifting and my lead foot. This tank I'm around 24.6 mpg.

That's better

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
4/23/19 12:41 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

Closest cylinder to me had a tiny bit of oil on it. All the others were fine.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ffRKgmJHxsnx8D8UbS1Rv00EXU6cETkeP5D06E0WWm8rmjFMfm0dTHr2kGgQTCZC