ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
2/1/20 6:24 p.m.

So I did the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta today with a 718 Cayman.  It was more fun than a barrel of monkeys.  The road course track was actually pretty lame, but they had a polished concrete low-grip handling circuit, and a number of low-friction wet obstacles with sprinklers.  You basically spend the whole day whipping the car around in drifts and spins with an instructor and practicing car control.  I think it will have a very beneficial effect on my track driving.  The only bad part was the price, which was significant.

Anyone know if there are facilities around where you can do something similar with your own car for less money?  I would do it every week if I could.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/20 6:36 p.m.

If you live in the right part of the country, there are low grip experiences available for free right now! :)

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/1/20 6:54 p.m.

I had a low grip experience on the way to the grocery store tonight!

spandak
spandak HalfDork
2/1/20 6:57 p.m.

Any dirt lots nearby? 
I plan to do the same event one day, glad to hear it was good!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
2/1/20 7:17 p.m.

there is a Porsche Experience Center In Los Angeles too , 

When you come down the 5 freeway in Sylmar there is a CHP driving center next to the freeway that would be fun to use , it has a skid pad too :)

_
_ Dork
2/1/20 7:23 p.m.

Among with what Others have mentioned for ice and dirt, abandoned warehouses also work, or a really good friend that owns a warehouse. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
2/1/20 7:36 p.m.
_ said:

Among with wh. Others have mentioned for ice and dirt, abandoned warehouses also work, or a really good friend that owns a warehouse. 

Or a abandoned shopping mall with a big multi story  car park , 

At least it looks like fun in the movies......

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
2/1/20 8:02 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

If you live in the right part of the country, there are low grip experiences available for free right now! :)

Not much of that available in my crowded suburb.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/1/20 8:31 p.m.

We obviously don't have ice and snow here in Central Florida, but the airport here in DeLand where we autocross is pretty low traction due to the amount of dirt that accumulates on the surface.

It gets called dirt land instead of DeLand for a reason. 

_
_ Dork
2/1/20 9:56 p.m.
ShinnyGroove said:
Keith Tanner said:

You'd be surprised. Make connections with the local guys that have cars that look like trash. These are the dudes out there smashing it, and if you chum with them, they'll share. Us "underground" guys are cautious, but have great secret spots. I have four within a ten mile radius of my home. 

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/1/20 10:57 p.m.

Vermont. Right now. Really.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/20 11:24 p.m.
_ said:
ShinnyGroove said:
Keith Tanner said:

You'd be surprised. Make connections with the local guys that have cars that look like trash. These are the dudes out there smashing it, and if you chum with them, they'll share. Us "underground" guys are cautious, but have great secret spots. I have four within a ten mile radius of my home. 

I never did learn where one of my high school friends lived. Whenever we got close in the wintertime, my codriver(s) would just start calling out random lefts and rights in the crowded suburb and it was my job to do a big slidey turn in the appropriate direction. We'd discover her house by accident some time later...

There was a stadium near my house. I spent a lot of time doing big figure 8s around light poles. Also, shopping mall parking lots after hours. 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
2/2/20 1:13 p.m.

We're just waiting for the ice to get a little thicker so we can race.

_
_ Dork
2/2/20 3:19 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Parking Garages are fantastically slick in the rain. And the top level never has anyone parked on a holiday if the mall is closed. 

oh, and the rain prevents the tires from howling, which makes it even more covert. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
2/3/20 1:02 p.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove :

AMP has any "ice hill" that is hella fun. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4iHhJvydrhpocRcgBuSnAGPeAJ6NhhvuZj0qwOOeH6ArQxZ4WWRQDGsEk63o51sA