1 2 3
BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
7/12/19 9:50 p.m.

My favorite LT1 story. I was 1/2 hour from home driving down the interstate when I hear a bang and see the alternator belt flying in the review mirror. With no where to stop and fix it I nervously watched the temp gauge to see how far I could get before it got hot and I had to pull over. Gauge never moved and I was trying to figure out why it wasn't overheating when I remembered the water pump was splined off the cam ! Made it home with a pretty low battery. Mine was really reliable, had over 250k miles on it before I got rid of it for a miata. The optispark never gave me trouble. Plug wires in a Crammit are tough to replace

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/19 10:10 p.m.

In reply to BlindPirate :

There was a guy on Usenet (he was a pretty big name netizen at the time) who frequented rec.autos.driving, who made a point of not changing the serpentine belt on his LT1-engined C4, just to see how long it would last.  He knew that a belt failure would only leave him as stranded as the reserve capacity of the battery, but at the same time he claimed to keep a spare belt and tensioner tool in the car.   IIRC the belt never actually failed in the explody sense.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/18/19 8:20 p.m.

Loot has been acquired.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HTOsSqhw4o226M9nrJYvogLB9no6IJy1VFx3CxJZxwCdzrxHNiGECqdY3YWSPqXh