1 2
Jerry
Jerry UberDork
8/5/20 8:22 p.m.

The lug nuts on the OEM daisy's are rusty and bringin' me down.  I plan to plastidip/paint the wheels black or dark grey soon.  Looking through Amazon I see so much that looks like cheap tooooner crap.  Should I just spring the $78 for Flyin' Miata lugs?

Their lugs

jimlowe
jimlowe New Reader
8/5/20 8:30 p.m.

949Racing has beautiful and functional forged aluminum lug nuts.

http://949racing.com/lugs-valves.aspx

McGard manufactures very well designed and engineered splined lug nuts with independent seats:

https://mcgard.com/automotive/lug-nutslug-bolts/splinedrive-lug-nuts/

WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter)
WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/20 9:14 p.m.

I did.. I literally put them on this week.  I'm totally happy with them.  Would buy again, but I hope I don't have to :)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/20 9:19 p.m.

I know what I'd use :)

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
8/5/20 9:25 p.m.

FM does have impressive nutz...

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/5/20 9:36 p.m.

Printing the torque spec on the lug is a nice touch.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
8/5/20 11:23 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

If only they knew how units worked. laugh

ChrisLS8 (Forum Supporter)
ChrisLS8 (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/6/20 12:30 a.m.

I'm not a fan of aluminum lugs (even forged) cause frankly....it's too soft. I have used Muteki sr48s, they are high quality and cheap. 

I just ordered a set of Project Kics R40s which are $$$$ (around 200) for street use and a set of Titanium $$$$$$ lugs for track use.

The Kics and Muteki are steel and weigh almost as little as aluminum ones 

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
8/6/20 12:39 a.m.
Dead_Sled said:

If only they knew how units worked.

The units are correct, pound-foot or pounds per foot (lbs-ft lbs/ft) is a unit of torque which is a vector its one pound of force acting one foot away from the fulcrum.

foot-pounds is a unit of work which is scalar(has no direction) its the unit of energy to move a one pound object one foot of distance.

Im sorry to say it but people that say a car has foot pounds of torque are wrong

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/6/20 7:07 a.m.
ChrisLS8 (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm not a fan of aluminum lugs (even forged) cause frankly....it's too soft. I have used Muteki sr48s, they are high quality and cheap. 

I just ordered a set of Project Kics R40s which are $$$$ (around 200) for street use and a set of Titanium $$$$$$ lugs for track use.

The Kics and Muteki are steel and weigh almost as little as aluminum ones 

We need you to get the word out to the literally hundreds of Miata's that use aluminum lugs on the track with no issues. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/6/20 7:34 a.m.
echoechoecho said:
Dead_Sled said:

The units are correct, pound-foot or pounds per foot (lbs-ft lbs/ft) is a unit of torque which is a vector its one pound of force acting one foot away from the fulcrum.

foot-pounds is a unit of work which is scalar(has no direction) its the unit of energy to move a one pound object one foot of distance.

Im sorry to say it but people that say a car has foot pounds of torque are wrong

lbf⋅ft is proper

lbs/ft = pounder per foot

Honestly, when it comes to lugnuts I usually just use the open-ended GM lugnuts on everything.  I always know what size socket I need and its easy to keep spares for multiple vehicles.  Get them off rockauto for 70 cents each or so.

ChrisLS8 (Forum Supporter)
ChrisLS8 (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/6/20 7:57 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

It's personal preference. I've ruined a few sets personally. The good steel lugs are within a few grams of aluminum and after my experiences it gives me peace of mind

jimlowe
jimlowe New Reader
8/6/20 9:17 a.m.
Dead_Sled said:

Agreed. For those curious, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

Keith Tanner
8/6/20 9:26 a.m.

Sheesh.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/20 10:41 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Welcome to the internet.

Keith Tanner
8/6/20 10:47 a.m.

The internet is full of people!

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
8/6/20 10:56 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Sheesh.

I think we're 16 posts in, and two are on topic and helpful.  You were one.

jimlowe
jimlowe New Reader
8/6/20 11:18 a.m.

jimlowe
jimlowe New Reader
8/6/20 11:55 a.m.

Anyway, the plastic plugs paintless dent repair guys use to plug access holes fit perfectly into open ended lug nuts if the threads extend to the end, and do a great job keeping dirt and other garbage off of the lug and stud threads.  They're pennies a piece here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CUMHOQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
8/6/20 12:19 p.m.

I have one set of the 949's and one set of the flyin' miata. I prefer the 949s because they have the lug (what's it called?) the full length of the nut - but the Flyin' Miata's are nice too, the 949's are just slightly better IMO. 

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/6/20 12:23 p.m.

I've had lugs from 949 and Flyin' Miata too, and I actually prefer the FM ones because of that little knurled round bit on the end - makes them a little easier to spin on or off by hand.

I bought a cheap "neochrome" set from Amazon for another car and first they faded, then they started oxidizing into powder. Not cool. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
8/6/20 12:28 p.m.

Sorry, edited to add smiley face.  While they are technically wrong, my comment was meant to be a light hearted jab laugh.

I missed a 100% on a final exam 15+ years ago for putting "ft/lb" as the units of my answer.  I had carried the correct units all the way until the second to last line.  The value of my answer was correct. 

Got a zero for that problem, which was one of 5, so I got an 80%.  No amount of "discussion" got me anywhere angry

I'm totally over it though, I promise.

Derail over, back to taking about nuts.

calteg
calteg Dork
8/6/20 12:51 p.m.

Happy with my 949 lugs. At $4 a pop, I consider them a wear item

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
8/6/20 12:55 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) :

I could see that. My 949 lugs get slammed on and off with an impact 2-3 times a day when I'm at the track. I find when I'm doing the flyin' miata ones occasionally I just miss and spin on the end of the lugnut. Definitely not the end of the world. For what it's worth I think the Flyin' Miatas are lighter if you're into counting grams ;) 

Keith Tanner
8/6/20 4:24 p.m.

So the non-hex end of the FM lug nuts not only allows you to spin the nuts on quickly, it also aligns the socket. Slip it over the end, tap the trigger and the socket self-aligns with the flats :)

I checked, my Snap-On torque wrench has units of lb ft. No lbf / or * or other thing in between ;) 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MsaW9KOduTUNUs69lYQ7nEQM89GQPCmOkVvAnpwPnrtz42DxAbNT0QVZcl5GSlfy