1 2
MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
3/11/13 5:41 p.m.

Friday SWMBO anfd I picked up our new DD, our 2013 Impreza:

photo SubaruImpreza01_zps05a09b1c.jpg

photo SubaruImpreza03_zpse826cab7.jpg

photo SubaruImpreza06_zps34db6f39.jpg

I'm really excited, as this is our first new car. The cost of leasing proved to be competitive with owning something older. It's nice to not have to worry about anything other than oil changes.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
3/11/13 6:09 p.m.

If you did this without a thread you know you made a big misteak don't you.

Just wait, someone will tell you about it.

But as for me, I like it.

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
3/11/13 6:11 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: If you did this without a thread you know you made a big misteak don't you. Just wait, someone will tell you about it. But as for me, I like it.

Well yes, there IS a MISTAKE... bottom center of the last picture... an autotragic??!!!

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
3/11/13 6:23 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: Well yes, there IS a MISTAKE... bottom center of the last picture... an autotragic??!!!

Not a mistake, the CVT gets better mileage AND SWMBO can actually drive it.

I kinda like it myself. The gas pedal basically becomes a request for thrust.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
3/11/13 6:25 p.m.

Didn't need a "what car?" thread?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
3/11/13 6:25 p.m.

I love my 5-speed Accord but somedays I wish I could throw it into automatic.....but I love to shift.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/11/13 6:26 p.m.

Oh man... you should have asked us so we could tell you you needed something else.

Without even knowing your requirements I'd have said: Triumph GT6.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/11/13 6:56 p.m.

I coulda built a better car out of a 84 GL, a wrecked WRX, two rolls of duct tape, half a miata and got 45 mpg while being under a challege budget!

But seriously, nice ride. I really dig the color.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy New Reader
3/11/13 6:58 p.m.

That's a funny looking miata

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
3/11/13 10:31 p.m.

My good friend's wife just got (what appears to be) the exact same car a couple months ago! I dig that color.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/12/13 1:44 a.m.
MCarp22 wrote: Not a mistake, the CVT gets better mileage AND SWMBO can actually drive it.

I drove my first-ever CVT in a rental Altima the last few days. Ugh. A 2.5L 4-cylinder really isn't suited well to cruising at 60 mph and 1400 RPM.

OTOH, the rental car was in Maui, so it wasn't all bad. :)

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
3/12/13 8:35 a.m.
MCarp22 wrote:
fanfoy wrote: Well yes, there IS a MISTAKE... bottom center of the last picture... an autotragic??!!!
Not a mistake, the CVT gets better mileage AND SWMBO can actually drive it. I kinda like it myself. The gas pedal basically becomes a request for thrust.

I'm just teasing.

I actually prefer CVT's to classic automatics. Smoother, doesn't get caught out of gear, more economical and accelerates faster. I use to have a Freestyle (with CVT) for the transportation of my monsters. I loved that thing, but I sold it because I was getting scared that the CVT would go boom.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
3/12/13 8:38 a.m.

Probably one of the best cars under $23,000.

35mpg and AWD make a good combo that is hard to beat, especially if in the snow states.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/12/13 8:51 a.m.

It can be risky buying a car without a WCT. You end up with things like automatic transmissions and hatch backs.

OK. Nothing really wrong with the hatch, but the transmission? Tisk tisk.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
3/12/13 8:54 a.m.

Wow, congrats on the purchase! Wifey and I went to the local dealer this weekend intent on checking out the deals on 2013 Foresters, when the salesman pointed out that the 2013 Impreza is worth checking out too.

How do you like the 2.0L engine with the CVT? Did you cross-shop any other cars?

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
3/12/13 10:52 a.m.
mikeatrpi wrote: Wow, congrats on the purchase! How do you like the 2.0L engine with the CVT? Did you cross-shop any other cars?

We looked at a few used cars first and then decided to go look at an Impreza just to see one before we were locked into a loan. It pretty much won us on the test drive.

Cross shopping was pretty much all on paper. Most other cars in this class have less cargo area, no tan interior option, or aren't AWD.

rustysteel
rustysteel New Reader
3/12/13 11:09 a.m.

Subaru for the win. We had to settle for an autotragic for our Forester XT but still is a great car.

I like the colour too.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/12/13 12:23 p.m.

This car has a face like a disapproving Tommy Lee Jones:

PeterAK
PeterAK Dork
3/12/13 1:02 p.m.

It's like you couldn't decide between an Astro or a Miata so you split the difference. Nicely done.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
3/12/13 5:25 p.m.
rustysteel wrote: We had to settle for an autotragic for our Forester XT but still is a great car.

I'm interested to see how the XT does with a CVT, I think that would be a riot.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
4/22/13 8:25 p.m.

Update:

Have driven just over 2000 miles so far, most of that was a road trip to visit family in Ohio. Average MPG has been 31.4. It seems like things have loosened up a bit, fuel economy has crept up slightly over the past few tanks.

SWMBO drove again for probably the first time in 3 years, including some of the highway driving. She's terrified of driving in general, so this was a big accomplishment for us.

I haven't really driven it in proper anger, but the chassis has proven to be really competent. I haven't noticed the VDC/traction control working, so the limits are fairly high. There are a few places in my neighborhood where weird camber + rain would lead to either exciting oversteer moments (miata) or WHY WON'T YOU TURN understeer moments (civic, sentra, etc.). The Subaru "just goes" (SWMBO's words).

The stereo is one of the best that I've had a car. I'm hardly an audiophile, but I know what I like. It's easily as good as any of the various '90s cars that i've had with speaker / headunit upgrades. The steering wheel controls will skip tracks in Pandora via Bluetooth, which is pretty cool.

Having the dog with us was very important, so we've done a few upgrades for him:

photo CAM00017_zps13d2a80d.jpg

After a "I just don't know what went wrong" moment where he jumped over the seat and ended up wrapped up in his harness, we opted to import a factory dog barrier/guard from the UK:

photo CAM00020_zps7a036243.jpg

It's made transporting him so much nicer. The windows are right at eye level when he's sitting / standing, so he has no problems peeking outside without having to jump up like in the back of a sedan.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
4/22/13 8:48 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Oh man... you should have asked us so we could tell you you needed something else. Without even knowing your requirements I'd have said: Triumph GT6.

+2 on the GT6!!!!!!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/22/13 8:51 p.m.

Nice choice. I think the latest Impreza is a sleeper out there.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
4/22/13 8:52 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote:  photo SubaruImpreza01_zps05a09b1c.jpg

advice: don't ever, ever ever take a photo of a subaru from this angle. It always makes it look like it has 22 feet of front overhang :)

Car looks nice though. There is a silver one in my neighborhood and I find myself oddly thinking to myself "if only it had a turbo....." as I drive by in my 2009 WRX :) I like the brown on yours much better than the silver.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/13 9:22 p.m.

That's a nice looking car. And a handsome dog.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GzqpwFjamYwmn9SyGXFmeatckGCe9J6YnJQ3EZR3OknAC2RnDp3cr78PAAmqkgpH