1 2
Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
9/26/13 11:00 a.m.

Mentioned this in another thread and the orgasmic reaction made me think there would be others interested.

Group buy on the Garagejournal.com website:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212083

Summary: $1800 including shipping (a bit more for residential delivery). Must order between October 9th and 11th.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
9/26/13 9:38 p.m.

Seriously hustling to find some way to make this happen!

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
9/27/13 1:20 a.m.

I like the idea, just wish they went higher. Maybe I should look into modifying a bigger two post to accept casters of some sort...interesting for my needs.

Bryce

kanaric
kanaric Reader
9/27/13 2:22 a.m.

omg, want. I am going to try to scrounge some money up.

Only thing is what I would need to hire someone to put the anchors in the concrete, i have neither the tools or the know how on that front.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
9/27/13 7:26 a.m.
kanaric wrote: omg, want. I am going to try to scrounge some money up. Only thing is what I would need to hire someone to put the anchors in the concrete, i have neither the tools or the know how on that front.

Rent a hammer drill for $30 and buy the hardware.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
9/27/13 8:03 a.m.
chandlerGTi wrote:
kanaric wrote: omg, want. I am going to try to scrounge some money up. Only thing is what I would need to hire someone to put the anchors in the concrete, i have neither the tools or the know how on that front.

I would be curious if the average floor poured, in say a 70s track home edition, is strong enough for this.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
9/27/13 8:09 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
chandlerGTi wrote:
I would be curious if the average floor poured, in say a 70s track home edition, is strong enough for this.

That's part of what's stopping me. I have no idea how to get the pad in my garage tested or who would even do it and google isn't much help (or I failed miserably halfheartedly looking.)

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/13 8:13 a.m.

Start by drilling a test hole to see how thick the concrete is. You can fill it with Water Plug or epoxy when you're done and you won't even notice it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/13 8:14 a.m.
Nashco wrote: Maybe I should look into modifying a bigger two post to accept casters of some sort...interesting for my needs. Bryce

That's not a good idea.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
9/27/13 8:15 a.m.

Most two post lifts require reinforcement of the average floor.

bluej
bluej Dork
9/27/13 8:38 a.m.
Woody wrote: Start by drilling a test hole to see how thick the concrete is. You can fill it with Water Plug or epoxy when you're done and you won't even notice it.

This.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/27/13 8:56 a.m.

Greg Smith have several starting at the 8000lb unit and up way under $1800

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-BP8000

I have a 2 post bendpak but I am thinking of doing a 2nd 4 poster

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-Garage-Pro-8-000

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
9/27/13 9:25 a.m.
Woody wrote:
Nashco wrote: Maybe I should look into modifying a bigger two post to accept casters of some sort...interesting for my needs. Bryce
That's not a good idea.

Yeah huh, is too.

Bryce

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
9/27/13 9:33 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
chandlerGTi wrote:

Same goes; drill a hole and measure the thickness. The b3000 psi concrete is standard in new home construction, and I think a 4" pad would be normal most places. Easy to check though.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
9/27/13 9:41 a.m.
chandlerGTi wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
chandlerGTi wrote:
Same goes; drill a hole and measure the thickness. The b3000 psi concrete is standard in new home construction, and I think a 4" pad would be normal most places. Easy to check though.

Yes, but don't you have to check more than just the pad thickness? Aren't there many different flavors of concrete with different strength ratings, etc?

Basil Exposition
9/27/13 9:42 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Most two post lifts require reinforcement of the average floor.

I would say "some" not "most" based on a quite a few installs I've followed. The minimum requirement is 4" of concrete, which isn't uncommon in residential slabs and is minimum code in many places. YMMV, of course, based on local codes, age of house, etc. Best to test.

For a DIY install I recommend buying the epoxy anchor kit. It is less sensitive to hole size and execution than the mechanical anchors. I bought a hammer drill at HF and a Bosch drill bit online (bits that come with the drill are crap-- the one I needed was curved!). You also need a really good caulk gun for the epoxy. HD sells an epoxy gun for $20. A cheap caulk gun WILL NOT work.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/27/13 9:54 a.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

Perks of being in indiana.....I think I'm going to go buy one of their sub$500 motorcycle lifts....sure I have to pay sales tax, but I don't have to pay shipping.

Also, those atlas lifts are seriously good. I think they require a good chunk more than 4" of concrete though(Not that I'd ever recommend or feel safe under any vehicle supported by a lift with only 4".....concrete saw the section out, and then dig down 10-12" and pour new.....peace of mind > sketchy)

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/27/13 10:00 a.m.

I am spoiled, my shop floor is 12" thick as it used to store farm equipment

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
9/27/13 10:19 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Greg Smith have several starting at the 8000lb unit and up way under $1800 http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-BP8000 I have a 2 post bendpak but I am thinking of doing a 2nd 4 poster http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-Garage-Pro-8-000

But they don't have a Group Buy or a thread.

sarcasm :)

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
9/27/13 2:14 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote:
bravenrace wrote: Most two post lifts require reinforcement of the average floor.
I would say "some" not "most" based on a quite a few installs I've followed. The minimum requirement is 4" of concrete, which isn't uncommon in residential slabs and is minimum code in many places. YMMV, of course, based on local codes, age of house, etc. Best to test.

Well yeah, when the capacity is only 6k lbs.

Basil Exposition
9/27/13 2:29 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Basil Exposition wrote:
Well yeah, when the capacity is only 6k lbs.

No, when the capacity is up to 9,000 to 10,000 lbs for most manufacturers, including the Atlas lift cited above. Here are BendPak's specs as an example:

2-POST LIFTS DESCRIPTION MIN. CONCRETE SPECS

XPR-9F 9,000-lb. Capacity / Floorplate / Chain-Over / Narrow 4" Min. Thickness / 3,000 psi

XPR-9FX 9,000-lb. Capacity / Floorplate / Chain-Over / Wide 4" Min. Thickness / 3,000 psi

XPR-9FD 9,000-lb. Capacity / Floorplate / Direct-Drive / Narrow 4" Min. Thickness / 3,000 psi

XPR-9FDX 9,000-lb. Capacity / Floorplate / Direct-Drive / Wide 4" Min. Thickness / 3,000 psi

XPR-12FD 12,000-lb. Capacity / Floorplate / Direct-Drive 6" Min. Thickness / 3,000 psi

XPR-10C 10,000-lb. Capacity / Clearfloor / Narrow 4" Min. Thickness / 3,000 psi

XPR-10CX 10,000-lb. Capacity / Clearfloor / Wide 4" Min. Thickness / 3,000 psi

XPR-10AC 10,000-lb. Capacity / Asymmetric Clearfloor / Narrow 4" Min. Thickness / 3,000 psi

XPR-10ACX 10,000-lb. Capacity / Asymmetric Clearfloor / Wide 4" Min. Thickness / 3,000 psi

XPR-12C 12,000-lb. Capacity / Clearfloor / Triple-Telescope Arms 6" Min. Thickness / 3,000 psi

XPR-15C 15,000-lb. Capacity / Clearfloor / Standard Arms 6" Min. Thickness / 3,000 psi

XPR-18C 18,000-lb. Capacity / Clearfloor / Standard Arms 8" Min. Thickness / 3,000 psi

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
9/27/13 2:33 p.m.

My statement was and is true if you read it correctly. Anyway, when I bought my lift 6 or 7 years ago the advertised floor requirements were higher. I know this to be a fact, and really don't care enough to try to prove it to you. I do apologize that I didn't go back and look it all up again.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/27/13 3:13 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: I am spoiled, my shop floor is 12" thick as it used to store farm equipment

Our shop is now only 10" thick and we managed to crack it with the big agco sitting on it.....it is weighted to hell though.

Why bother with the max jax when the actual usable ones are cheaper. I'd still cut a base for them though, I wouldn't trust 4" of concrete. A concrete saw and a little would would make a 6-10" deep of whatever strength you wanted. At least you know it wouldn't crush you.

Basil Exposition
9/27/13 4:27 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
aussiesmg wrote: I am spoiled, my shop floor is 12" thick as it used to store farm equipment
Our shop is now only 10" thick and we managed to crack it with the big agco sitting on it.....it is weighted to hell though. Why bother with the max jax when the actual usable ones are cheaper. I'd still cut a base for them though, I wouldn't trust 4" of concrete. A concrete saw and a little would would make a 6-10" deep of whatever strength you wanted. At least you know it wouldn't crush you.

The Maxjax is designed for folks that have lower ceilings and want a lift they can move around easily-- even store between uses. If those aren't issues for you, then a traditional 2 post would be the better buy and more usable, for sure. I'd certainly prefer a 2 post lift I could stand under, but I just don't have the ceiling height for it.

If anyone has more questions about the Maxjax I suggest you go to the garagejournal.com forums. There is lots of info there about real-world installs and the distributor often participates in them.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/27/13 4:29 p.m.
yamaha wrote: Why bother with the max jax when the actual usable ones are cheaper.

Cant fit a full size in a garage with 8-10 foot ceilings.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PGXWMjMYH02wmzgqKKaeC9AWqP2JzdzaI4I2oz6ybLYcJjsXEhB31FkvN8FDkBrX