1 2 3
MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
4/19/10 4:02 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: That image doesn't look like it's quite right - just looking at the size of the door-handles, it seems like the Miata is at a slightly smaller scale than the 2.

I scaled the miata to the correct height and length relative to the 2 in the background.

The 2 simply has gigantic refigerator door handles, and the miata has tiny finger pull handles.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
4/19/10 4:36 p.m.

I wonder if it's just my brain trying to interpret the image as one being parked in front of the other, so the second one scaling up as if it were 10' futher back.

Opus
Opus Dork
4/19/10 5:15 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote: Thought you guys might find this comparison interesting: Photobucket

the scale still looks off, the size of the wheels on the miata should be bigger.

quick research found this (remember the internet is always right)

Dimensions of ... Miata 156 Inches Fiesta 4d 173.6 inches Fiesta 5d 154.3 inches Fiesta 3d 154.3 inches Mazda 2 (5d) 153 inches Mazda 2 (3d) 153 inches.3

Judging by that info, the miata should be longer than the 5 door 2/fiesta you have shown. the only car longer is the 4 door trunk model and I question its accuracy(not that the internet is ever wrong)

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
4/19/10 5:15 p.m.

I think the lack of a roof on the Miata is adding to the "holy crap the 2 is huge" effect.

Still though, the Mazda Australia web site says the 2010 Mazda 2 hatchback (5 door) has a length of 153 inches and a height of 58.1 inches. Wikipedia says they get a little bigger for 2011, with the length growing to 155.5 inches. Compare that with a length of 155.4 inches for the NA Miata (per wikipedia and miata.org) and a height of 48.2 inches. With the roof down, the height of the Miata probably drops about an inch. The height of the Miata looks a little low, but the length is way off. Did you maybe use the length of the Mazda 2 sedan? Wikipedia says that is 168.2 inches, or 12.8 inches longer than the Miata, which looks about what your picture shows.

Bob

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/19/10 5:46 p.m.

I don't know about the car, but a wife who supports your car hobby (vice?) like that is certainly worth her weight in gold. I'd say give her any damn car she wants!

Kia_racer
Kia_racer Reader
4/19/10 5:59 p.m.
kreb wrote: I don't know about the car, but a wife who supports your car hobby (vice?) like that is certainly worth her weight in gold. I'd say give her any damn car she wants!

I second this! +1

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
4/19/10 6:14 p.m.
Did you maybe use the length of the Mazda 2 sedan? Wikipedia says that is 168.2 inches, or 12.8 inches longer than the Miata, which looks about what your picture shows.

AHA! I did mess that up.

Fixed now. Makes the 2 look better. Miata still has tiny door handles.

Photobucket

Opus
Opus Dork
4/20/10 2:56 p.m.

In reply to MCarp22:

The miata still looks too short, but the length looks right now.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
4/20/10 3:00 p.m.

Did anyone else notice that those barrels in the background appear to be draining? Some sort of fountain perhaps?

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
4/20/10 3:21 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote: Did anyone else notice that those barrels in the background appear to be draining? Some sort of fountain perhaps?

nuclear waste disposal

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/20/10 3:30 p.m.

I saw several Mazda 2's at this LA Auto Show earlier this year and they were very cool looking cars. One version was pretty butch too, with wide tires, lower stance, etc and was super cool. I thought they were some of the better styled cars at the show!

iceracer
iceracer Dork
4/20/10 6:40 p.m.

The 2's will be available with a diesel. 0-60 15.5 secs.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
4/20/10 8:13 p.m.
iceracer wrote: The 2's will be available with a diesel. 0-60 15.5 secs.

Ouch......

I like the 2, but the diesel is off any shopping list.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/20/10 8:26 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote:
Did you maybe use the length of the Mazda 2 sedan? Wikipedia says that is 168.2 inches, or 12.8 inches longer than the Miata, which looks about what your picture shows.
AHA! I did mess that up. Fixed now. Makes the 2 look better. Miata still has tiny door handles. Photobucket

Can you do that with a 10 Challenger in the back and a 70 in the front for the Challenger thread? Please?

twolittlebroncos
twolittlebroncos New Reader
4/21/10 11:19 a.m.
iceracer wrote: The 2's will be available with a diesel. 0-60 15.5 secs.

Acceleration is horrid, but gas mileage should be pretty good.

This article suggests 64mpg UK, not sure how that translates to our gallons.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/210294/mazda_2.html

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
5/11/11 2:03 p.m.

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

Just stopped by the Ford Dealer at lunch. (spurred on by the Mayhem Mustang thread, although I didn't look at the Mustangs (they are just way to giant sized even if they have 300+ hp and 30mpg)). Looked at Fiestas briefly. Then went by the Mazda dealer and looked at a Mazda 2 even more quickly. Why in the world is the Mazda 2 highway MPG rating so low? It is lower than the Mazda 3 and a Mazda 6 that were sitting nearby. What is the point of a small econobox type car if it is really not all that economical? How can the smallest cheapest car in your line not have the best gas mileage? Very strange.

Just from my quick looks at the two of them I would scratch the Mazda off my list and look harder at the Fiesta or even the new Focus.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/11/11 2:17 p.m.

Don't drop the Mazda 2 yet. We drove Tom's back from the Mitty and averaged 34-35 mpg. This wasn't a constant drone down the interstate either, but a spirited run through rural Georgia two-lanes.

After spending a few hundred miles in his "stripper" M2, I'm a big fan. Great ergonomics, fun gearbox, good handling all wrapped in a refreshingly simple package. If I was buying a sub $20K new car, this would be it.

sanman
sanman Reader
5/11/11 2:19 p.m.
T.J. wrote: Bringing this thread back from the dead. Just stopped by the Ford Dealer at lunch. (spurred on by the Mayhem Mustang thread, although I didn't look at the Mustangs (they are just way to giant sized even if they have 300+ hp and 30mpg)). Looked at Fiestas briefly. Then went by the Mazda dealer and looked at a Mazda 2 even more quickly. Why in the world is the Mazda 2 highway MPG rating so low? It is lower than the Mazda 3 and a Mazda 6 that were sitting nearby. What is the point of a small econobox type car if it is really not all that economical? How can the smallest cheapest car in your line not have the best gas mileage? Very strange. Just from my quick looks at the two of them I would scratch the Mazda off my list and look harder at the Fiesta or even the new Focus.

Only 100hp means the Mazda 2 will struggle at highway speeds. The more powerful engine in the fiesta is likely better for that. That said, the Mazda 2 should make a hell of a fun city car!

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
5/11/11 2:23 p.m.

How does the Mazda2 and/or Fiesta stack up with the new Elantra?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/11/11 2:26 p.m.

Also the smallest cheapest car has not gotten all the new expensive GDI technology and still has to be shaped like a pseudo-slippery brick to not kill everyone in the car when the lady in the Fraud Exclusion blasts the car while texting and putting on eyeshadow at 90 in a school zone.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/11/11 4:24 p.m.

Only 100hp means the Mazda 2 will struggle at highway speeds. The more powerful engine in the fiesta is likely better for that. That said, the Mazda 2 should make a hell of a fun city car!

Nah, the Mazda 2 doesn't struggle at 80mph or even 90. It isn't a rocket, but is actually a pleasant car at highway speeds. WAY WAY better than the 2011 Fit I recently drove.....of course that isn't saying much. The Fit was OK around town, but extremely doggy and nervous at highway speeds. In comparison the Mazda 2 is downright limo-like.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
5/11/11 6:01 p.m.

May daughter graduates from college in two weeks. She wants a new Fiesta as she needs a good car with which to commute 40 miles each way to her new job. She loves the new Fiesta.

There is a black 5-speed hatch with her name on it waiting for her at the dealer.

sanman
sanman Reader
5/11/11 6:10 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Only 100hp means the Mazda 2 will struggle at highway speeds. The more powerful engine in the fiesta is likely better for that. That said, the Mazda 2 should make a hell of a fun city car! Nah, the Mazda 2 doesn't struggle at 80mph or even 90. It isn't a rocket, but is actually a pleasant car at highway speeds. WAY WAY better than the 2011 Fit I recently drove.....of course that isn't saying much. The Fit was OK around town, but extremely doggy and nervous at highway speeds. In comparison the Mazda 2 is downright limo-like.

Hmm, good to know. Though I was referring to the reason for the poor highway mpg. What rpms is running at 80mph?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/11/11 6:48 p.m.

Let me add to the mess.

My 2011 Elantra is averaging marginally over 40 mpg, yes that is average...

100K drive-train warranty, 148hp, best interior space, big trunk (really big fits a wheelchair in it), looks great IMHO and has a nice 6 speed manual. It is way, way under $20K also.

It is a whole size bigger than those mentioned above and yet gets awesome mileage.

My 6'3" son fits into the back seat just fine.

2011 Elantra 1500 miles

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
5/11/11 7:10 p.m.

Heck, I'd buy the 2 over the 3 just because it doesn't have the "LOLZ" front end treatment.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8CkU711jHv8HmH13dxHlp2TzxexRmw3V3ssqV57G64Jezg9TBjH3t6r02FswTuBx