roninsoldier83
roninsoldier83 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/17/24 4:18 p.m.

I figured I would share what I've learned recently. A few years back, I purchased a brand new 2021 Mazda 3 Turbo hatchback. I drove it for about a year and thought it was a great daily driver: comfortable, luxury car fit/finish/features, decent handling/solid steering weight & feedback, torquey motor (300+ ft-lbs of torque), AWD, great ergonomics for my frame, very stress-free driving experience and what I believe to be a great overall value for the money. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of buying a first model year car (specifically the Turbo version) and ended up selling the car after a year, mostly due to concerns I had about the car burning quite a bit of oil. Even though the car was brand new, I think it burned it's first quart of oil within ~2500-3000 miles or so. As such, I had my reservations about living with the car long term. So, despite it being a great daily, I sold it (at the right time- for within $500 of what I paid for it brand new!). 

Fast forward a few years, I read that Mazda realized they installed some defective valve stem seals in a certain range of their early (mostly 2021) 2.5 Turbo models and was now offering to replace them to quite a few folks online, without issue. 

As such, a few weeks ago, I ended up buying a 2021 Mazda 3 Turbo sedan for a great price I couldn't turn down- 1 owner, clean Carfax/no accidents, dealer serviced with only 8000 miles on the clock for barely anymore money than the non-Turbo versions are going for. I considered another hatch (I typically prefer hatches), but went with the sedan this time only because 1) the deal was hard to pass up, and 2) the blindspots on the hatches are massive- by far my biggest complaint with my former hatch. 

I could be mistaken, but when looking around the market, I feel like the oil consumption issue might have driven values on some of the turbo models down compared to their NA counterparts. 

As irony would have it, a few weeks after buying the Turbo sedan, I received this settlement notification with the VIN for my former hatchback on it (presumably due to me buying it new): 

It would appear that Mazda is now willing to replace the faulty valve stem seals, will reimburse you for oil losses and extend your powertrain warranty for an additional 2 years/24,000 miles (from 5 years/60k miles up to 7 years/84k miles). More info here: 

https://www.mazdavalvestemsealsettlement.com/

I figured I would share this in the event anyone else on GRM currently owns or plans to buy an early model Mazda with the 2.5 Turbo motor that falls within the specified VIN range. As mentioned, in my local market, the Turbo models (specifically the 2021's) didn't seem to hold their value as well as their NA counterparts, so you might be able to get a solid deal on a turbo version that appears to come with an extended powertrain warranty. 

Pics of my new-to-me 2021 Mazda 3 Turbo sedan: 

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
5/18/24 8:02 a.m.

Good to know, thanks. I was wondering about that, having heard a few complaints. 

EchoTreeSix
EchoTreeSix New Reader
5/18/24 10:19 a.m.

The red (Soul Metallic Red?) is so good. Thanks for the information. The 2.5t Mazdas are on the list for a DD upgrade. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/18/24 2:08 p.m.

Sweet ride! I have wondered about these for a while.

I recently read that there is a class action suit brewing about a cylinder head/exhaust manifold problem on some 2.5Ts as well. I am curious to see if the 3 will get rolled into this suit as well, or if it is only earlier versions of the engine: https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2024/mazda-skyactiv-g-25t-engine-reliability-lawsuit.shtml

roninsoldier83
roninsoldier83 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/18/24 8:54 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

I didn't even know about head gasket issues! That's interesting that the only cars mentioned are: 

• 2019-2020 CX-5 (vehicles built before June 9, 2020)
  • 2016-2020 CX-9 (vehicles built before June 9, 2020)
  • 2018-2020 Mazda6 (vehicles built before March 26, 2020)
  • 2019-2020 Mazda6 (vehicles built before March 21, 2020, with Mexico Specifications)

Odd that the cars mentioned only go up to model year 2020. I have no idea if this is accurate or not, but after reading the TSB's, it looks like they may have changed the cylinder head design in 2020- I wonder if maybe when they changed the head design they continued using the previous valve stem seals that are somehow related to the oil burning issues in the 2021 cars.

This is just a theory, but it would make sense to me: leaky cylinder heads ---> redesign cylinder heads to solve the leaks, but potentially continue using the previous valve stem seals ---> the older style valve stem seals end up not sealing well with newer head design, causing oil burning ---> new valve stem seal design. 

Again, I have no evidence of that being the case, but it would make sense to me. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/18/24 9:33 p.m.

Yeah, that would add up!

Some NA Skyactiv 2.5s have been documented with more than half a million miles by this point, so I have really been hoping that the turbos prove to have the same longevity. If the head/manifold/valve stem seal issues have been sorted with this latest go-round hopefully we'll start to see them hit those numbers.

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
5/19/24 10:13 a.m.

My understanding was there was some sort of casting issue with the head for a while, not sure which years exactly, which led to a crack.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
phg4SQTPgTzvzue4H1am4c740HzUY4wTtFmiOwrAfU2KbmtvluzI4CYzQgR1olPj