1 2
kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/26/14 6:18 p.m.

So Mazda made a 2500lb luxury car with rwd, manual, rotary, rotary turbo, 4 cylinder (FE engine), and Diesel options. It's light like a FB RX7 but has rack steering, and is a million times cooler.

How come nobody here has imported one yet?

Also if it has a F engine already..... F2T? Make it happen.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/26/14 6:46 p.m.

I know Swank is a huge proponent of these...

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/26/14 7:15 p.m.

I'm sure he does, this seems like his ultimate car.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/26/14 7:18 p.m.

Between these and R31's. We've had discussions. Many discussions.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/26/14 7:23 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Between these and R31's. We've had discussions. Many discussions.

That would be a hard choice, I guess that would be kind of a Mazda vs Nissan fan kind of thing. Depending which manufacturer you like more. I think I would pick this over a R31 though still even though i'm more of a Nissan fan.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/26/14 7:25 p.m.

It's about looks, really. I'd pick the Nissan based on looks because it's more quintessentially 80s, but the Cosmo is more my wheelhouse being a Mazda whore.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
9/26/14 7:29 p.m.

Love me some Cosmo

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/26/14 7:29 p.m.
mndsm wrote: It's about looks, really. I'd pick the Nissan based on looks because it's more quintessentially 80s, but the Cosmo is more my wheelhouse being a Mazda whore.

This Mazda looks... idk alternate universe 80s? Like if we had smart phones and hdtv back then. The show Fringe comes to mind.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
9/26/14 7:32 p.m.

I LOVE these things. If they had come over here, I'm pretty sure I would have a garage full of them instead of 626es.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/26/14 7:40 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: I LOVE these things. If they had come over here, I'm pretty sure I would have a garage full of them instead of 626es.

Import one, lol. Someone here needs to have one.

I wonder how much they are and how rare. I'm at work so I can't check....

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
9/26/14 8:22 p.m.

I'm worried about how to get parts. Getting parts for USDM 80s Mazdas is hard enough. I still want one though.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/26/14 8:36 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: I'm worried about how to get parts. Getting parts for USDM 80s Mazdas is hard enough. I still want one though.

They share the chassis with a 929 so I guess that would be the place to start. There is a HB forum http://www.hbcosmo.com/

Like just a quick browse it looks like some FC parts might fit. Someone put FC non-turbo suspension on.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
9/26/14 9:05 p.m.

The piston version is a 929 generation we didn't get here (the pic I posted above is one). The Cosmo name refers to the rotary version only. I would import a 929 if I were to pursue one of these.

It's kinda weird that the RX-5 (also called Cosmo) had a piston version called 121 (which didn't come to the US), while the piston version of the RX-4 was called 929. Then, for the next generation Cosmo, the piston version was called 929.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
9/26/14 10:41 p.m.

Not familiar with those Cosmo's but have seen a few of these in the states. One locally is owned by a cop.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
9/26/14 11:11 p.m.

Not sure about that one, but the last gen Cosmos will be legal for import next year.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/27/14 8:12 a.m.

Yep this is high on my bucket list.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/27/14 10:09 a.m.

So the HB had racks?

Excellent.

The HB is the reason why the GSL-SE engine has provisions for side motor mounts. Same as FC on the left side, similar to that on the right. Mazda made the GSL-SE by shoving the Japanese spec suspension and HB Cosmo engine in a US-spec chassis.

People think "housing twist" is an issue and the reason why the motor mounts kept moving back, but I feel/claim that the mounts went to the middle to clear the rack. So, this is one more nail in the coffin of that urban legend.

Speaking of those infernal mounts, I wonder now what the right side HB mount bracket looks like. I have been getting by with a heavily modified left-side mount on the right, but it breaks a lot.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/14 10:26 a.m.

It looks like a grown up Subaru XT. I would take one.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/14 10:52 a.m.

I dig that. It's funny, though - all the good pics of the model are that same red car. Here's what's probably a more representative one. You can see the relationship to the first FWD 626.

Keith Tanner
9/27/14 10:53 a.m.

And I found this while looking for pictures, so I'm totally distracted.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/27/14 11:05 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: And I found this while looking for pictures, so I'm totally distracted.

WTF is that and where do I get like... 3 of em?

Keith Tanner
9/27/14 11:34 a.m.

It was in a Flikr album along with some Cosmo shots. Google says it's a modified Mazda Chante (Chantez?) and this particular one has a RWD 12A drivetrain to replace the original 360cc 2-stroke V2 (!). Because, you know. There is apparently a video of the car in action, I will provide 1.6 internets to the person who finds it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080107194823/http://grandjdm.com/2007/07/30/not-something-you-see-everyday/

Keith Tanner
9/27/14 11:34 a.m.

Oh good lord. One of us owns one. Of course.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/2721/

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/27/14 10:36 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I dig that. It's funny, though - all the good pics of the model are that same red car. Here's what's probably a more representative one. You can see the relationship to the first FWD 626.

I still see

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
9/28/14 7:07 a.m.

The later rotary Cosmo variants (1990 and up) could be optioned with a 20B (3-rotor) twin turbo. We'll be able to import one of those in the not-too-distant future, assuming there are any left that haven't already been parted out for swaps.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0OcEMXsSZEtEe4YJ4FKzd17Q1CGeXfQbX6JDM4HocTU1jxLOuFmOAEoSqS2WNgiM