NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
10/21/13 9:18 p.m.

Niece wants me to do rear shocks on 2006 Mazda 3.

Any pitfalls or suplementary parts I should order? Needs to be a one day job.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/21/13 9:34 p.m.

Super easy. One bolt bottom two bolt top. Use a floor jack to support the a arm as you drop it to release spring tension. Aligning the a arm bolt with the bottom of the shock and the through points on the arm is the hardest part. Iirc I dropped the shock thought the bottom as far as it would go, swung the top in and then tightened up the top. Add spring back in. Compress to meet shock alignment. Proceed. Piece of cake.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
10/21/13 9:42 p.m.

It's maybe a half day job.

It's probably good to get the upper mounts too. The only part I found difficult was loosening and tightening the nut at the end of the piston shaft. Aside from that, it's two tiny nuts to remove up top, and one down below. Liberal use of penetrant/rust dissolver on the upper fasteners is wise.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
10/21/13 10:35 p.m.

Thanks for the insight. Will get the mounts "just because".

Was looking at kyb asgood value replacements

twolittlebroncos
twolittlebroncos Reader
10/22/13 1:10 p.m.

Just helped my brother change his. He went with KYB and there were no new shock boots. Not sure if those come with the mounts or shocks, but he didn't have new ones and the old ones were pretty torn up. Easy job, impact gun helped us weaklings.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/22/13 1:54 p.m.
twolittlebroncos wrote: Just helped my brother change his. He went with KYB and there were no new shock boots. Not sure if those come with the mounts or shocks, but he didn't have new ones and the old ones were pretty torn up. Easy job, impact gun helped us weaklings.

+1 here. I had air to do mine (granted, I did full coilovers, but the job in the back is the same) and it made life a lot easier. Aligning crap is the hardest part.

Hopsonn
Hopsonn New Reader
10/23/13 9:59 a.m.

The back shocks are super easy, especially if you're just doing the shock itself. I didn't even touch the spring. I supported the A-arm, unbolted the upper mount, loosened the lower bolt and just let the A-arm drop just enough to wiggle the lower bolt out and get the shock out of the way. My upper mounts were OK, but if I was doing it again I would probably replace them, especially now that there are aftermarket mounts available.

I just did the front shocks and they are a little tougher, requiring spring compressors, patience, and probably some upper body strength/mass to get the knuckle down and line up the shock for insertion.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qoaVxxqgxRAbOMwX3XfyiW0gyJzqyMzjaKdpgiTNDQSbs4rPYnDADQEBdr2VSSgz