1 2 3
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/5/13 8:37 a.m.

or

They are in the same performance category, both are exotic, and both cost the same.

Which of THESE TWO would you choose and why.

(You see what I did there? If anyone says Corvette, or something other than one of these two, your reproductive organs will be used as rearview mirror trinkets CAPISCE?)

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/13 8:50 a.m.

I'd rather it was between:

or

But you mentioned Caprice? I'll take a Caprice!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
9/5/13 9:01 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

I'd go with the McLaren. I've never been that sold on the whole Ferrari thing.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
9/5/13 9:02 a.m.

458 Italia all the way. More soul, more spirit, but still high tech. At least, that's what all the reviews say, it's not like i'll ever pilot either.

Also, I do love a good campfire, so Ferrari.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/5/13 9:04 a.m.

Why no baby Lambo?

Cause that one is around the same price, better looking then either and has a proper manual.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/5/13 9:09 a.m.

If i was forced at gunpoint to choose between the two in OP, i'd go with the 458.

This doesn't mean i particularly like or want either of them.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
9/5/13 9:11 a.m.

"...your reproductive organs will be used as rearview mirror trinkets CAPISCE?)"

That's not nice. I refuse to answer.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/5/13 9:11 a.m.

I only know stuff about obscure '80s cars that can be bought pennies on the dollar of their original MSRP. Can you give us some info on these lottery/trust-fund cars?

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/5/13 9:20 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

Basically the McLaren beats the 458 in performance, handling, and ride quality, but lacks "Fun". Looks are also going to be 50/50 on this one.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
9/5/13 9:36 a.m.

I pick McLaren. Recent Top Gear USA episode confirms that for me.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/5/13 9:38 a.m.

+1 for McLaren. Slightly quicker and no Ferrari douche stigma, win/win.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Dork
9/5/13 9:39 a.m.

458 for sure. It's the most beautiful car I have ever seen in person (and it was next to a Mclaren). It serious makes my hootus move.

Protege2886
Protege2886 Reader
9/5/13 9:46 a.m.

The engineer in me says "McLaren!! [Derp]" but every other part of me would rather get a 458.

Of course I would probably start talking like Guido from Disney's CARS "Itsa REAL Michael Schumacher Ferrari!"

jdbuilder
jdbuilder Reader
9/5/13 9:59 a.m.

Well if I got this type of money then I'm going with the Ferrari 458 simply because Im dropping the $55K +++ to participate in the Ferrari 458 Challenge. Simple as that.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
9/5/13 10:00 a.m.

I'll choose the one least likely to turn me into a douche flambé.

Maybe we could get Toni Vilander's opinion on the subject. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYYozaQs8es

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/13 10:01 a.m.

McLaren, because it's being treated like an F1 car and is under constant development. With the Ferrari, once it leaves the factory, it no longer interests them. Ferrari just wants to sell you another investment - I mean, "car".

Also, I have no desire to change my entire wardrobe so that every article of clothing has a prancing horse on it. Ferrari owners are like Harley riders, they just have to brand themselves in a ridiculous manner.

I'll take mine in the appropriate papaya orange.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
9/5/13 10:08 a.m.

I'll need quite a number of test drives to make that decision. Just hand me the keys...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/5/13 10:24 a.m.

I've been around the McLaren and although is was super super cool, it wasn't cool enough to make me lose my E36 M3 in the same way the 458 does. They both have way more performance than I could ever use, so I'd go emotional on the decision and go Ferrari.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
9/5/13 10:59 a.m.

It would depend on which one I fit in better. At 6'4" tall, there is plenty of exotica that I cannot drive comfortably. If that wasn't an issue, I would probably go for the McLaren.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/5/13 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Type Q:

I can vouch that you'd fit in the f360 ferrari.......I taught a guy how to drive a flappy paddle in one back in May. He was 6'6" and fit fine. I doubt the 458 is any different.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/5/13 11:24 a.m.

McLaren, because my dad worked for Bruce in the 60's, I'm a life long McLaren fan in F1 and the shinny red purse company hasn't made anything worth looking at in 30 years.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
9/5/13 11:34 a.m.

I like the looks of the Ferrari a little bit better and from what I've read, the McLaren performs a little bit better, so I wouldn't kick either out of my garage for leaking oil. Under threat of my body parts being used in place of fuzzy dice, I'll pick the McLaren. Of course, since the Miata stretched my "fun budget" pretty far, this has all the practical application of the "How would you spend a billion dollars?" thread.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
9/5/13 12:05 p.m.

McLaren. I just find it a bit more interesting/rare. I kinda feel like we're splitting hairs here though.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
9/5/13 12:09 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: ...It serious makes my hootus move.

Is that the same as your fizzy bits?

alex
alex UberDork
9/5/13 12:13 p.m.

Another vote for the McLaren. By all accounts, it's more useable in the real world. And the 458 just doesn't do anything for me.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sXbHMkdoSKLLipMiJdByETZaZYPyu4coL38c1yWhZgScTErxGvVzPpL3KpEE8eAG