1 2
ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
12/28/14 3:48 p.m.

What common junkyard vehicles should I be looking at in a U-pull-it for a mega huge brake rotor that is also easy to remove, and single piece. I'm looking for largest in diameter and weight as possible. Prefer no integrated wheel bearing nonsense, and a center bore of < 4".

I'm sure there are a billion answers to this (and miata isn't one of them!)... so lets hear 'em.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/28/14 3:52 p.m.

How huge are we talking? 08ish mazda6/ford fusion had 11.8" rotors.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
12/28/14 4:08 p.m.

Trucks. Big trucks.

daeman
daeman New Reader
12/28/14 4:11 p.m.

V8's, euro cars, 4x4's. Toyota have some pretty decent sized 4 spots on some 4runners and land cruisers. Volvos have some decent sized stuff. Basically just wander around a u pull with a tape measure and measure anything that looks like what you want.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/28/14 4:18 p.m.

1 ton 4wd truck is nearly 13" for newer Chevy's. Caddilac Deville with limo prep was about that size too. "standard" Caddys and 1988-2002 Camaro are about 12".

If you can find someone parting out an Audi Q7 or Porsche Cayenne V8, those fronts are nearly 14"!

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/28/14 4:20 p.m.

4th gen Camaros have rotors a bit over 12" iirc, at least the V8 models. Should be easy enough to come by as well.

What's the application? Largest diameter/weight possible (i.e. you want maximum inertia) leads me to think some kind of flywheel maybe?

Edit: Crap, someone beat me to it.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
12/28/14 4:25 p.m.

4" center bore, look at 3/4-ton Ford 4wd.

They need the bog bore to clear the hub.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
12/28/14 4:29 p.m.

Saw some from a school bus at the machine shop that looked like they were the size of trash can lids.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
12/28/14 4:40 p.m.
Furious_E wrote: What's the application? Largest diameter/weight possible (i.e. you want maximum inertia) leads me to think some kind of flywheel maybe?

Base for a lamp. Usually I use a flywheel, or a miata-sized rotor for smaller stuff, but for a 4-6ft lamp I need something with some serious mass to keep it from tipping.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/28/14 4:43 p.m.

ZCP E46 M3 was 13.6" or 12.8 for the regular M3

Why single piece only?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
12/28/14 4:44 p.m.
mr2peak wrote: ZCP E46 M3 was 13.6" or 12.8 for the regular M3 Why single piece only?

I suppose 2 piece is OK, as long as both are steel/iron. Can't weld steel or iron to an aluminum hat.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/28/14 5:09 p.m.
Furious_E wrote: 4th gen Camaros have rotors a bit over 12" iirc, at least the V8 models. Should be easy enough to come by as well. What's the application? Largest diameter/weight possible (i.e. you want maximum inertia) leads me to think some kind of flywheel maybe? Edit: Crap, someone beat me to it.

every F body from 98-02 had the 12" rotors... the same rotors were used on every Impala and Monte Carlo starting in '01 or so,then got put on the other W bodies around '04 or so- should be plenty of them in the boneyard to pick from, but also keep in mind that you can buy them brand new for about $25 if you get the cheap ones since junkyard rotors are sometimes priced as if the junkyard thinks their junk rotors are made of gold..

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
12/28/14 5:21 p.m.

Local place is $9/rotor I believe. $25 for a new 12" rotor is close to worth it. Cleaning the rust and crap off a used rotor can be a pain in the butt.

I still may go to see if I can find something larger though. I'm betting most stuff bigger than this isn't very common in junkyards. I don't see many full size trucks there.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
12/28/14 5:29 p.m.

My daughters Ford Edge had some big ass rotors.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
12/28/14 5:52 p.m.

I've got some V8 4Runner Sport pack fronts - 13.3" - you can have. I was about to take the annual rotor pile to the scrappers. You still in Northern VA?

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/28/14 5:55 p.m.

another idea: instead of walking around a junkyard, look behind the local shops and see if they'll let you take one of their old rotors off their hands for scrap price.. they already did all the hard work, you just need to dig thru the pile..

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/28/14 6:28 p.m.

My F250 4wd has 14+" rotors that weigh around 20lbs a pop at least.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
12/28/14 6:31 p.m.
motomoron wrote: I've got some V8 4Runner Sport pack fronts - 13.3" - you can have. I was about to take the annual rotor pile to the scrappers. You still in Northern VA?

Appreciate the offer... but not up there anymore. Based out of NC now and only make the trip periodically to visit family.

Asking shops for scrap is probably not a terrible idea.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/28/14 6:46 p.m.

6th gen Maxima (2004+) has 12.6" front rotors, so that's pretty large. And they're pretty heavy as well.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
12/28/14 6:54 p.m.

3/4 or 1-ton trucks.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/28/14 7:33 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Base for a lamp. Usually I use a flywheel, or a miata-sized rotor for smaller stuff, but for a 4-6ft lamp I need something with some serious mass to keep it from tipping.

I was gonna guess diy wind turbine. Read somewhere once where a guy built one based on a rotor/hub/strut tube/upright from a junked Volvo.

Cool idea, though, I may have to steal it . I am actually in need of a few light fixtures around the ol' bachelor pad and this might be a good lunch break at work project.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/28/14 8:09 p.m.

I used an LS flex plate as the base for a display setup. Didn't weigh that much, but the size of the plate made it very stable. An LS flywheel is pretty heavy, but I didn't need it. I was originally going to use an 11" rotor but this was a lot more effective.

As a bonus, the flex plate was stamped steel instead of cast iron. Very easy to weld.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
12/28/14 8:15 p.m.

Euro cars.

My passat has 13.5" front rotors. Audi A8s are likely just as big.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
12/28/14 8:37 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I used an LS flex plate as the base for a display setup. Didn't weigh that much, but the size of the plate made it very stable. An LS flywheel is pretty heavy, but I didn't need it. I was originally going to use an 11" rotor but this was a lot more effective. As a bonus, the flex plate was stamped steel instead of cast iron. Very easy to weld.

Yeah, I have done 3 or so with flywheel bases, 1 with a flexplate, and 1 with a rotor. Flexplate isn't as good for the large stuff - it does not weigh enough and isn't as rigid. Welding to the cast iron isn't difficult at all for this application.

Probably the biggest factor is that a rotor is a hell of a lot easier to get to than a flexplate or flywheel if you don't happen to have one laying around.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/28/14 8:40 p.m.

Mazdaspeed 6 rotors are 12.6" and dirt cheap on Ebay. I got a pair for $43 shipped a few months back.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KPKE39NapmlUWW9xaVGMgGhiSGcNDWLq25CFz8ftpYIhvb7BYUJYZpKGXeLhhSaR