TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
12/17/14 4:00 p.m.

So I have been throwing around various ideas for a megasquirt setup for a while now. Recently I had a thought that I think may be a very good way of doing things if it would work.

Could you use a megasquirt computer to control a nitrous solenoid to manage your engine. I'm talking about a naturally aspirated setup, just to be clear. Basically, just take a nitrous fogger setup and only inject fuel. This way you would not need a return line, and you may be able to run carburetor like fuel pressures, meaning cheaper fuel pump, regulator and overall fuel system. I have done a little research and a typical nitrous controller operates at 25-30Hz, and a megasquirts default setting is 15KHz. My questions are:

1. Will and engine run right on a 25-30 Hz setup?
  2. Can megasquirt even put out a 25-30 Hz signal?
  3. What other concerns do you have?

I feel like you could put together this setup for very cheap, and we likely have most of the parts needed to create this setup already. Plus with a fogger, you could simply adjust jet sizing and tweak the tune, if you ever need bigger/smaller injectors. Tell me what you think.

DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
12/17/14 4:12 p.m.

Will the solenoid be able to handle the load and duty cycle for consistently injecting fuel?

Can it handle liquid (gasoline) instead of the gas (nitrous) normally flows?

Since it sounds like you're only using one solenoid would it be easier to re-purpose a TBI setup found in a junkyard?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
12/17/14 4:21 p.m.
DanyloS wrote: Will the solenoid be able to handle the load and duty cycle for consistently injecting fuel? Can it handle liquid (gasoline) instead of the gas (nitrous) normally flows? Since it sounds like you're only using one solenoid would it be easier to re-purpose a TBI setup found in a junkyard?

A nitrous controller is basically a computer that varies the duty cycle of your nitrous solenoids and fuel solenoids to create a ramp on effect, so that the nitrous does not go full blast all at once. If it works there, I'm wondering why it would not work for a naturally aspirated setup. The problem with tbi setup is fuel distribution. This would be going on a straight 6. I would need the fuel to distributed across the whole intake, not just in the center, if that make sense. Maybe i could run two TBI's. Can a TBI "jet" be changed to a larger size?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/17/14 4:42 p.m.

i'd be concerned about durability. nitrous solenoids are only used for a few seconds at a time.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
12/17/14 5:28 p.m.

I think by the time you get a decently accurate, reliable system together, you'll have something that looks a lot like and existing tbi system for greater cost.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
12/17/14 5:34 p.m.

The more I research, the more I agree.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
12/17/14 6:17 p.m.

Go grab a GM TBI setup if you want cheap megasquirt EFI that will run on low pressure.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iY6VqR6ATkoFOrvjwjKh6inSfZ6h6mJyUyhV6NKrYqoGGHVyRlLkBRE9Z1dTWHJt